Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Project update

Got some better rings and am near where I want to be with the scope mount. Found Burris Medium just too high for my liking and so ended up at the Low for best fit. Currently using a Pic Rail 11mm adapter pair that required some modification to fit the ring I chose. Still may go over to the more traditional looking ring from Burris now that I know I need 25 MOA of ring bushing to get full use of the scope elevation turret with a 50 yard zero still intact.

[Linked Image]

Also removed all 3 sling studs from the stock which has improved results on paper with the targets using the Bull Bag and the rear rest. I want to figure out a bi pod for this rig but thats going to be later.

The UPS ammo ferry showed up and thanks to Larry and Brenda P some really nice 22LR is in hand. Locally about all thats around is empty cases on store shelves.......

Since there are pretty strict Qty limits on ammo i kept the groups to 4 shots and a sighter. There was more wind than I expected when I got to the range so instead of adjusting the turret I held off after the sighter to try to get the group of 4 in the red dot. At this point in the learning curve Im really enjoying the education. Twice as expensive as a year ago..... but still way cheaper than centerfire. Thanks for the tips. This project is a learning curve on all ends.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Trigger work is next project.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Good! Sounds like it’s a fun rifle to work with. As for the chamber, my understanding is that it’s to be expected thats it’s tight in a CZ. My 452 varmint certainly is. I’ve had no real problems with feeding into the chamber - except that I can feel how snug the fit is. And I’ve shot a lot of pretty crappy ammunition through it as well as better quality stuff. BTW my bore and chamber are tight enough that I bought a 17 cal cleaning rod for it. I won’t part with the rifle. Very accurate.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do yourself some REAL favors and identify what do what,rather than heaping on variables less rhyme or reason. Hint.

Your OPENING move,is to hang tall paper at 50yds,in nice conditions. Dangle a plumb bob and trace gravity. Then in graduations Burris assigned your erector,run that erector through it's travel and note it's behavior. 5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,etc MOA/IPHY graduations denoted upon paper. DO shift zoom between shots as well. Look for tracking and repeats,though you will not find them. What you will see,will not warm your heart,but it will be typical Burris HILARITY and you'll KNOW why. Hint.

From there,you KNOW what the fhuqk you are up against,before literally spinning in circles at greater engagement distances,in tougher atmospheric conditions. Once you realize that scope is a piece of fhuqking schit,you can board one that ain't,then repeat. With the warm/fuzzy PROVEN,then stretch out longer,until at the limits of the glass,ammo,rifle,atmospherics or you. At least you will have a mechanical baseline to extrapolate and start scratching things OFF The List,rather than unknowingly adding to same. Hint.

You can then correlate assigned subtention values to REAL,at the same time. There will be humor there too. Hint.

You want Bob's 25MOA extended 1913 rail,for the next scope RINK

You've been led to water.

Thank me later.

Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks Big S,

Thats really helpful. Ill look into it.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks Ol Rooster,
I found the same thing with the cleaning rod. 17 size rod works fine. I had to order one.
So far the chamber in this 457 has not prevented any ammo I tried from working.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The last NIB Burrass I bought,was an EPIC piece of fhuqking schit. That in regards to tracking,repeating,holding zero and subtension "value". Pretty fhuqking funny though! Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Started with it on my PROVEN Franklin 17 Whizzum upper. Hint.

Then rolled it to my 18lb+ Vudoo. Hint.

ONLY 50yd Tall Paper tells THE Real Story and these "results" via benched Vudoo. Hint.(grin)

NO "surprises" that with the 5-20x aboard,the 6 MOA 50yd "groups" went away.(grin)

Point being,you can cut to the chase and save alotta time/ammo,by PROVING glass first. Hint........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Today was the best condition at the range since I started to work with this CZ457 and scope. The wind was very low. Cattails barely moved all day. You could watch the pollen move in the air, but with a mild cloud cover shadows and glare were minimal.

Found this old picture from the previous scope mount on this gun using a non adjustable ring setup from an old 22. In the vertical test I only had used 12 MOA and 24 MOA of elevation due to the approximately centered scope alignment.

[Linked Image]

When Big S recommended a more extensive test, I wanted to use the extra travel gained by the Burris mounts that are currently set with about 25 MOA of offset on the 457.
I did some reading last night after a web search and found a helpful article in the Precision Rifle Blog titled, "Tactical Scopes: Mechanical Performance Part 2." There were some interesting test setups for that article on more expensive scopes. But the basic idea was very similar to the paper run that Big S showed in his post.
I used a large piece of cardboard at 50 yards and a level to plumb the vertical line on the multiple sheets of paper. The low extended cross is very helpful when setting in. It showed any gun cant I was adding in on the bags. There was over 50 MOA of adjustment available in the turret. My zero is slightly off the limit stop of the twist on the bottom of the travel in the scope.

I used a box of SK Pistol Match today to run this target with 3 shots on the way up each 10 MOA and 3 more on the way down.

Rifle and Bag set up.

[Linked Image]

First three shots going up in elevation.
There is a Cold bore first shot High and Right of the Hold Point.
And I jerked a called flyer in the second group at 10 MOA of elevation on the third shot.

[Linked Image]

This picture shows the numbers and the groups after the 3 shots were added on the way down.
Need more time to do some more testing with the windage now.

[Linked Image]

Before packing it all up I ran a few CCI standard velocity out on steel at 100 and then 200 yards. The 100 yard target needed 4.5 MOA of elevation and the 200 needed 20.5MOA.
I was shocked to see three white splashes on the steel ring at 200. This is my best group at that distance so far with this rifle. Having the low wind was a pleasure today.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Bob_B257; 07/10/21.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You are farrrrrr nicer to erectors,than I am. When dialing up,I'll shoot a shot and go up to mechanical limit.touch zero,then go to a given come up value. Typically,I'll shoot a shot at the zero repeat and then the new comeup,rather than creeping "nicely" in lineal increments. Why? Because I NEVER know for certain what the distance of the next shot is going to be and zero is a constant. If I can't go to/fro as per whim,the platform is useless to me. So EVERY shot has an erector adjustment,between rounds. On a variable,I also incorporate a zoom shift in conjunction and a parallax swing. Those input differences,are what are requisite to connect dots,at varying engagement distances. Hint.

Groups walking way from center,is likely a mounting issue,with the scope not being square. As elevation is input,groups walk farther away from center/square. Hint.

KEY is not to pad the path,but to sort through mechanics. Incorporate the zoom swing,along with always shooting a repeat at zero and you'll KNOW what's up. Same goes multiple FULL erector travel inputs,so as to keep the system "honest". Hint.

Was R&D'ing a new scope the other day on my Big Vudoo and checking tracking/repeats at 50yds on tall paper,in favorable atmospherics. On 300 Mil+ inputs(full erector travel,back to zero,multiple times between shots),I couldn't miss a staple on 50yd paper. The etched reticle cared zero about zoom ratio shifts and parallax was whirled to/fro in conjunction,all between shots. Hint.

Such things are warm AND fuzzy. Hint.......................

Warm.

AND fuzzy.

Re-hint................

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Nice to see someone out shooting. Some pretty tight groups shown. Might play with my 22 tomorrow.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Stick is that the one Doug had for 499?
I trust you’ll flog and report...

Hope all is well up there with you and the fam

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Big S thats a lot of twisting.
How many MILs of elevation do you expect to get as mounted on your Voodoo with that Altheon? Does the Voodoo come with the Pic rail milled into the action or is it attached after with Screws?
Watched Warm. Can't see ever throwing any rifle I had to pay for on the ground but it is impressive that yours shoots after. I don't believe the euro 11mm dovetail system could hold up under that kind of handling.
As you know we are not on the "Frontier" down here, and mostly play with toys vs the Tools you need up there.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'fiable,

That is the one. I bought initially at your cited $499 and then they went on Sale over the 4th,so I bought (2) more at $439. Hint.

46 degrees currently and light rain,with a nice tail wind...which is about right,in my book. you boys can have all the sunshine...................(grin)

'257,

Every rifle is set up,to coax as much erector travel as possible. My Heavy Vudoo rolls a 5-20x SWFA as it's mainstay and it is less than (2) Mil's off the bottom of the erector,with it's 50yd zero. The Athlon 2-12x Helos BTR Gen2 has 32 Mil's total erector travel and I'd want to eek 30 of same,after a 50yd zero. if only because EVERYTHING below zero,is 100% useless. Were it to be slated to a Vudoo,I'd roll on of their 60 MOA rails and drive straight rings,to keep mount height low as possible,because I favor fixed combs. Hint.

Vudoo uses hardened recoil stop pins and threaded fasteners to attach their rails. There is (1) pin fore and aft,betwixt the typicaly drilled and tapped receiver holes. A very positive arrangement,for certain. That especially due to the concentricity of everything. They are works of Art. Hint.

Above rifle was a birthday present,for my then 2yr old Grandson. The 60 MOA rail is a nice fit with the 1-6x FFP Illuminated MQ. It coughs up 31 Mil's on the erector,from it's 50yd zero. Hint.

On my Anschutzeses I drive Bob Rails expressly(DIP) and I need to rattle chains and have him crank another run of 75 MOA extended 1913's for same. A 6x MQ or 10x MQ will typically cough up right at 40 Mil's on the erector,after a 50yd zero,mounted with same,wearing flat rings. Never had one bobble. Hint.

You need a 10x MQ on that CZ and then you'd have sumptin'. Hint......................

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
NOT MOA All Day.
Yesterday I left the house thinking I was going to hit the wind lottery at the range. 20 min drive later,,,, Wrong.
And if you want to make yourself nuts take an old VCR tape of the "Wrath of kahn" and make some wind flags out of the 3/8 wide tape. Man the wind at the bench and 50 to 200 yards is all over the place. This was my first time with a flag set vs the grass, polen and reeds only.
Hung the MOA all day target at 100yards and shot some sighters to get the elevation knob set for the SK Pistol Match.
Then sent the first 10. Wind shifted at the bench completely and stayed for the next 10.
pretty happy considering what I see on the 50 @ 100yds and 50 @ 200yds over on RFC. Still impresses when someone posts a good group with more than 20 shots of any platform in rimfire. The variability in the ammo over 50 shots compared to centerfire handholds is eye opening.
Range and bag setup same as last week.

[Linked Image]

Did make some fun runs out at 100 to 200 with CCI Standard on steel. That ammo is close to the same Elevation as the SK Pistol M.

Really enjoying the bolt action rimfire. Its a great way to use up a few hrs on a weekend at the range.
I want to make some steel targets up for the berms. What thickness do you guys like to use if you are your own for rimfire only use.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Saturday was range mowing day. The 15 inches of rain this month had most of the target berms buried behind the plants.
After a long run on the weed wacker the 400yd(389) steel buffalo was finally open for business.

Shared the benches with two guys shooting irons on various cool guns

[Linked Image]

Very happy to get some 22lr on steel at 389(Aprox.)

The white paint square is about 12 inches across. Dialed in 54 MOA and held over a bit more for about 60 to get on the target. Could see dust when rounds landed off and easily see the hits in the white with the 14X on the scope. Ammunition was Eley Match just bought through Midway.
The bigger splats are 308. The small grey circles are the 22lr.

After getting to shoot one of the other guys 452 with a tuned trigger and irons at 100yds, I am moving the trigger project up on the list. Its OK on the 457 from the factory, but there is room for some tweaking.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

After wrap up dialed back to 4 moa on the vertical and center punched the 3" steel at 100.

Very happy with how this project is working so far. Definately hooked on bolt 22lr.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 16penny, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 3,335 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,304
Posts18,468,097
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.