-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've taken them down many times without spraying. I did it either while raining or dark then just tie off tight and hang it up for several days, depending on size of nest and bag.

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'm told we have a nest at the cabin, I may try to save it.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Maybe 375 PigGuy would like to get back on topic.
That might not be the "catholic " thing to do, but he started the thread. Two experts on hand for a rare discussion and a bunch of bickering about nothing.

Rwa, rene, mirage,
If you feel better thinking that I lied about collecting wasp nest, think what you want. I don't care.
Go off and gossip all you want.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 07/24/21.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

Maybe 375 PigGuy would like to get back on topic.
That might not be the "catholic " thing to do, but he started the thread. Two experts on hand for a rare discussion and a bunch of bickering about nothing.

Rwa, rene, mirage,
If you feel better thinking that I lied about collecting wasp nest, think what you want. I don't care.
Go off and gossip all you want.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Little female dog with a post like that.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
UPDATE -

Thanks again for the advice all. We went after dark tonight and it's looking good.

Gear used - Drione dust in a duster , Surefire Sidekick taped a couple of inches back from the muzzle.

Protective apparel - Carhartt pants over tall rubber boots, T shirt with long sleeve heavy cotton long sleeve over it, then a jacket. Leather gloves with the jacket cuff taped in place over the wrist. Stocking cap to cover my ears, ball cap, and a head net.

The porch light was on but not helpful, so I eased in and shined a bright light to make sure of my bearings. Backed off, then eased up with the duster. Light on (I know, some say they should not be used, but how the hell would I know where to spray since it was a few inches back in the bush?), then I eased the wand through the bush and started squeezing the hell out of the duster. After the initial cloud cleared a bit I could see them crawling around with the dust, so I put the nozzle in the hole and let fly some more until I could see dust coming out of the top of the nest.

Backed off, could see a few staggering around on the walk. Gave it a couple of minutes then took another look and no hornets around the nest.

Touching base with the homeowner tomorrow for status, and may go back for another dusting, then will pull it Monday for it's time in the deep freeze.

Slumlord, I wanted to try your cover and fog idea but the setting wasn't very friendly for it, but I'll keep it in mind for next time.

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by OldHat
Originally Posted by longarm

The size, shape, and your location makes me think it might be the Mexican Honey Wasp, One of a very few wasp species that actually makes and stores honey

That is interesting!

I saw those down past Monterey MX... Even tasted the honey. It was pretty good.

I would really like to get some of that someday. Not the wasps, just the honey.

There used to be a lot of bee keepers around here. My favor was the wild flower variety at the end of the season.
It's much stronger and IMHO better flavor than the typical clover variety in stores.

What was the wasp honey like? Do you remember?

I like to buy honey from as many small producers when I travel and see if I can detect different flavors. Kind of like what alcohol people do with Gin. LOL

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by copperking81
Check out Hornet King on Youtube. He has several videos taking down while preserving nests. Dude even relocates live nests to his house.

His videos are really interesting.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb-mXwDehQf0pEgS0rlGJ9w[/video]

Thanks!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'm told we have a nest at the cabin, I may try to save it.

Video? wink

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
If you think there dead there not I found out the hard way in boxers and crocks and they will chase you even if your a Olympic runner

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by longarm

The size, shape, and your location makes me think it might be the Mexican Honey Wasp, One of a very few wasp species that actually makes and stores honey

That is interesting!

I saw those down past Monterey MX... Even tasted the honey. It was pretty good.

I would really like to get some of that someday. Not the wasps, just the honey.

There used to be a lot of bee keepers around here. My favor was the wild flower variety at the end of the season.
It's much stronger and IMHO better flavor than the typical clover variety in stores.

What was the wasp honey like? Do you remember?

I like to buy honey from as many small producers when I travel and see if I can detect different flavors. Kind of like what alcohol people do with Gin. LOL

I didn't know you were a honey conisure .
That's what makes it interesting. There's many variables for flavor.
The flowers from different locations and what's in bloom makes a big difference. Even the processing of the honey. If it's heated it neutralizes the enzymes. If the propolis is removed, or filtered it tastes different than raw unfiltered too. That's my favorite....raw unfiltered cold drained honey. I had a quart of it that I savoured for a couple years. Best I ever had.

IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

407 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 43 invisible), 2,856 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,580
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.