24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Speaking of K-frames.... #16279258 07/24/21
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,767
C
cra1948 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,767
A lot of interest here in K-frames, .38 Special, etc lately. I stopped by a LGS today, just checking the consignments. Seems it's getting harder and harder for me to find something I've just got to have.... Anyway, there were a couple of really, really nice Smiths on consignment. One was a 19-3. From looking at it in the display case, the only sign that it wasn't ANIB was a very faint turn ring. Tagged $1000. The other was a 14 no dash, 3T in similar condition, but an even fainter, barely discernible turn ring. Tag said $1195. Opinions on a reasonable offer for either or both???



Mathew 22: 37-39

Happy escapee from NY

BP-B2

Re: Speaking of K-frames.... [Re: cra1948] #16279343 07/24/21
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,485
S
Slavek Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
S
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,485
What you can save is usually eaten up by the consignment fees. There will be variations based on percentage of retired people in population where you live, pistol magazine capacity regs,..... I would say $700 ot $800. Any reason you want S&W at inflated prices vs say Colt "Police Positive/Service" or Colt "Lawman"? Please keep in mind that new mid-sized .38/.357 revolvers are being manufactured by Colt.

Re: Speaking of K-frames.... [Re: cra1948] #16279346 07/24/21
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 515
W
Walker6 Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 515
Around here I’d expect to see a $1000 price tag on a LNIB 19-3. Maybe higher. If it’s a consignment I’d ask the guys in the shop to divulge the seller’s rock bottom number and then I’d pay it, assuming I was hot for a model 19, which I have been from time to time.

Re: Speaking of K-frames.... [Re: cra1948] #16279355 07/24/21
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 774
R
Ray_Herbert Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 774
The 19 sounds about right in today's market, the 14 is high, more so for me because I hate the so called 3 t's

Re: Speaking of K-frames.... [Re: Walker6] #16279366 07/24/21
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,485
S
Slavek Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
S
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,485
Originally Posted by Walker6
Around here I’d expect to see a $1000 price tag on a LNIB 19-3. Maybe higher. If it’s a consignment I’d ask the guys in the shop to divulge the seller’s rock bottom number and then I’d pay it, assuming I was hot for a model 19, which I have been from time to time.


Yes, people like cardboard boxes and cheap screwdrivers with aluminum handle, therefore, LNIB will bring about 25% to 30% more. Some are worth extra because they came in nice wood presentation boxes. Most do not want true NIB S&W revolvers because they have MIM parts, most have locks and some have two piece barrels. I agree with this sentiment and would buy new Colt .38 or .357 instead. Actually I would rather have original revolver which is Colt.

If gun was packaged in this at the factory and the gun is in top shape the price will be at least $1200....


[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

IC-A

Re: Speaking of K-frames.... [Re: cra1948] #16279492 07/24/21
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,370
S
SS336 Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,370
I thought only N-frames came in the presentation box. Have never seen a K-frame in one. Would be a rare bird for sure, probably engraved. Would like to see one if someone has one.

Re: Speaking of K-frames.... [Re: SS336] #16279609 07/24/21
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 774
R
Ray_Herbert Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 774
Originally Posted by SS336
I thought only N-frames came in the presentation box. Have never seen a K-frame in one. Would be a rare bird for sure, probably engraved. Would like to see one if someone has one.



The communist is clueless.

Re: Speaking of K-frames.... [Re: cra1948] #16279949 07/24/21
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,769
hasbeen1945 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,769
The 19 is priced about right. The 14 is a little. Hasbeen


hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Re: Speaking of K-frames.... [Re: cra1948] #16279953 07/24/21
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,289
J
JB in SC Offline
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,289
Those are going prices, even on the low side here. Turn lines are not a big deal for a vintage S&W revolver, think about how many times they got handled over the years.

Re: Speaking of K-frames.... [Re: SS336] #16279961 07/24/21
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,289
J
JB in SC Offline
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,289
Originally Posted by SS336
I thought only N-frames came in the presentation box. Have never seen a K-frame in one. Would be a rare bird for sure, probably engraved. Would like to see one if someone has one.


Never seen a regular K frame come from the factory in a presentation box in my fifty years of owning them.

IC-B

Re: Speaking of K-frames.... [Re: Slavek] #16280167 07/24/21
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,767
C
cra1948 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,767
Originally Posted by Slavek
What you can save is usually eaten up by the consignment fees. There will be variations based on percentage of retired people in population where you live, pistol magazine capacity regs,..... I would say $700 ot $800. Any reason you want S&W at inflated prices vs say Colt "Police Positive/Service" or Colt "Lawman"? Please keep in mind that new mid-sized .38/.357 revolvers are being manufactured by Colt.


Thank you for the somewhat superfluous reply. I will attempt to respond to the issues you raise. I'm not sure what you mean by the first sentence (regarding consignment fees, etc. The price I'll pay is the price I'll pay. I'm not looking to save money. If I wanted to save money, I wouldn't be cruising gun shops looking at guns I don't need. The consignment fees are between the owner and the shop and has nothing to do with me. Your second sentence, "There will be variations based on percentage of retired people in population where you live, pistol magazine capacity regs..." What the hell are you talking about? Next, "Any reason you want S&W at inflated prices vs say, Colt "Police Positive/Service or Colt "Lawman"? Yes, I like S&W revolvers. If I'd seen a similar Colt that caught my eye I might be inquiring about that. I am aware that Colt is making mid-sized .38/.357 revolvers. If I wanted one, I'd buy it.

You seem to, somehow, have come up with the idea that I'm doing needs-based shopping for a .38/.357 revolver. I currently have more .38/.357 revolvers than I "need". I simply saw a couple of revolvers that I like and may buy. It could have been any of a couple of dozen other specific types of firearms that I am interested in. I posted here because there are a number of well-informed, like-minded individuals here who are in touch with this market and can provide feedback based on what they are seeing in their areas for the same things. Not to hurt your feelings, but I don't think you're in that category of poster here.



Mathew 22: 37-39

Happy escapee from NY

Re: Speaking of K-frames.... [Re: cra1948] #16280309 07/24/21
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 515
W
Walker6 Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 515
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Slavek
What you can save is usually eaten up by the consignment fees. There will be variations based on percentage of retired people in population where you live, pistol magazine capacity regs,..... I would say $700 ot $800. Any reason you want S&W at inflated prices vs say Colt "Police Positive/Service" or Colt "Lawman"? Please keep in mind that new mid-sized .38/.357 revolvers are being manufactured by Colt.


Thank you for the somewhat superfluous reply. I will attempt to respond to the issues you raise. I'm not sure what you mean by the first sentence (regarding consignment fees, etc. The price I'll pay is the price I'll pay. I'm not looking to save money. If I wanted to save money, I wouldn't be cruising gun shops looking at guns I don't need. The consignment fees are between the owner and the shop and has nothing to do with me. Your second sentence, "There will be variations based on percentage of retired people in population where you live, pistol magazine capacity regs..." What the hell are you talking about? Next, "Any reason you want S&W at inflated prices vs say, Colt "Police Positive/Service or Colt "Lawman"? Yes, I like S&W revolvers. If I'd seen a similar Colt that caught my eye I might be inquiring about that. I am aware that Colt is making mid-sized .38/.357 revolvers. If I wanted one, I'd buy it.

You seem to, somehow, have come up with the idea that I'm doing needs-based shopping for a .38/.357 revolver. I currently have more .38/.357 revolvers than I "need". I simply saw a couple of revolvers that I like and may buy. It could have been any of a couple of dozen other specific types of firearms that I am interested in. I posted here because there are a number of well-informed, like-minded individuals here who are in touch with this market and can provide feedback based on what they are seeing in their areas for the same things. Not to hurt your feelings, but I don't think you're in that category of poster here.


This man just fixed the campfire. Maybe the whole internet.

Re: Speaking of K-frames.... [Re: cra1948] #16280374 07/24/21
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,485
S
Slavek Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
S
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,485
Thanks, I am not upset and understand your point of view. Expert = GunsInternational, Make/Model, specifications, condition and assuming no consignment reduce price by 20% to 25%.


Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

RR1
Who's Online Now
864 registered members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 1100mag, 91 invisible), 3,146 guests, and 916 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3










Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2022 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3
(Release build 20190728)
PHP: 7.3.30 Page Time: 0.071s Queries: 14 (0.004s) Memory: 0.8468 MB (Peak: 0.9566 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2021-09-28 01:41:26 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS