Print Thread
Hop To
C
cra1948 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
A lot of interest here in K-frames, .38 Special, etc lately. I stopped by a LGS today, just checking the consignments. Seems it's getting harder and harder for me to find something I've just got to have.... Anyway, there were a couple of really, really nice Smiths on consignment. One was a 19-3. From looking at it in the display case, the only sign that it wasn't ANIB was a very faint turn ring. Tagged $1000. The other was a 14 no dash, 3T in similar condition, but an even fainter, barely discernible turn ring. Tag said $1195. Opinions on a reasonable offer for either or both???

Mathew 22: 37-39

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What you can save is usually eaten up by the consignment fees. There will be variations based on percentage of retired people in population where you live, pistol magazine capacity regs,..... I would say $700 ot $800. Any reason you want S&W at inflated prices vs say Colt "Police Positive/Service" or Colt "Lawman"? Please keep in mind that new mid-sized .38/.357 revolvers are being manufactured by Colt.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Around here I’d expect to see a $1000 price tag on a LNIB 19-3. Maybe higher. If it’s a consignment I’d ask the guys in the shop to divulge the seller’s rock bottom number and then I’d pay it, assuming I was hot for a model 19, which I have been from time to time.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The 19 sounds about right in today's market, the 14 is high, more so for me because I hate the so called 3 t's

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Walker6
Around here I’d expect to see a $1000 price tag on a LNIB 19-3. Maybe higher. If it’s a consignment I’d ask the guys in the shop to divulge the seller’s rock bottom number and then I’d pay it, assuming I was hot for a model 19, which I have been from time to time.

Yes, people like cardboard boxes and cheap screwdrivers with aluminum handle, therefore, LNIB will bring about 25% to 30% more. Some are worth extra because they came in nice wood presentation boxes. Most do not want true NIB S&W revolvers because they have MIM parts, most have locks and some have two piece barrels. I agree with this sentiment and would buy new Colt .38 or .357 instead. Actually I would rather have original revolver which is Colt.

If gun was packaged in this at the factory and the gun is in top shape the price will be at least $1200....

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I thought only N-frames came in the presentation box. Have never seen a K-frame in one. Would be a rare bird for sure, probably engraved. Would like to see one if someone has one.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by SS336
I thought only N-frames came in the presentation box. Have never seen a K-frame in one. Would be a rare bird for sure, probably engraved. Would like to see one if someone has one.

The communist is clueless.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 19 is priced about right. The 14 is a little. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Those are going prices, even on the low side here. Turn lines are not a big deal for a vintage S&W revolver, think about how many times they got handled over the years.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by SS336

Never seen a regular K frame come from the factory in a presentation box in my fifty years of owning them.

IC B3

C
cra1948 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Slavek
What you can save is usually eaten up by the consignment fees. There will be variations based on percentage of retired people in population where you live, pistol magazine capacity regs,..... I would say $700 ot $800. Any reason you want S&W at inflated prices vs say Colt "Police Positive/Service" or Colt "Lawman"? Please keep in mind that new mid-sized .38/.357 revolvers are being manufactured by Colt.

Thank you for the somewhat superfluous reply. I will attempt to respond to the issues you raise. I'm not sure what you mean by the first sentence (regarding consignment fees, etc. The price I'll pay is the price I'll pay. I'm not looking to save money. If I wanted to save money, I wouldn't be cruising gun shops looking at guns I don't need. The consignment fees are between the owner and the shop and has nothing to do with me. Your second sentence, "There will be variations based on percentage of retired people in population where you live, pistol magazine capacity regs..." What the hell are you talking about? Next, "Any reason you want S&W at inflated prices vs say, Colt "Police Positive/Service or Colt "Lawman"? Yes, I like S&W revolvers. If I'd seen a similar Colt that caught my eye I might be inquiring about that. I am aware that Colt is making mid-sized .38/.357 revolvers. If I wanted one, I'd buy it.

You seem to, somehow, have come up with the idea that I'm doing needs-based shopping for a .38/.357 revolver. I currently have more .38/.357 revolvers than I "need". I simply saw a couple of revolvers that I like and may buy. It could have been any of a couple of dozen other specific types of firearms that I am interested in. I posted here because there are a number of well-informed, like-minded individuals here who are in touch with this market and can provide feedback based on what they are seeing in their areas for the same things. Not to hurt your feelings, but I don't think you're in that category of poster here.

Mathew 22: 37-39

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Slavek

Thank you for the somewhat superfluous reply. I will attempt to respond to the issues you raise. I'm not sure what you mean by the first sentence (regarding consignment fees, etc. The price I'll pay is the price I'll pay. I'm not looking to save money. If I wanted to save money, I wouldn't be cruising gun shops looking at guns I don't need. The consignment fees are between the owner and the shop and has nothing to do with me. Your second sentence, "There will be variations based on percentage of retired people in population where you live, pistol magazine capacity regs..." What the hell are you talking about? Next, "Any reason you want S&W at inflated prices vs say, Colt "Police Positive/Service or Colt "Lawman"? Yes, I like S&W revolvers. If I'd seen a similar Colt that caught my eye I might be inquiring about that. I am aware that Colt is making mid-sized .38/.357 revolvers. If I wanted one, I'd buy it.

You seem to, somehow, have come up with the idea that I'm doing needs-based shopping for a .38/.357 revolver. I currently have more .38/.357 revolvers than I "need". I simply saw a couple of revolvers that I like and may buy. It could have been any of a couple of dozen other specific types of firearms that I am interested in. I posted here because there are a number of well-informed, like-minded individuals here who are in touch with this market and can provide feedback based on what they are seeing in their areas for the same things. Not to hurt your feelings, but I don't think you're in that category of poster here.

This man just fixed the campfire. Maybe the whole internet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, I am not upset and understand your point of view. Expert = GunsInternational, Make/Model, specifications, condition and assuming no consignment reduce price by 20% to 25%.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
637 members (007FJ, 257Bob, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,836 guests, and 1,426 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.