Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Fireball2: Yes, very astute observation, but he's so frail now it's not possible w/out a very bad outcome. It should have been done years ago.

A verbal ass-kicking.

I'd think about showing up at a doctor's appt with your brother and mother and essentially hold an intervention right there. Explain to the doc in advance what his behavior is like.

Tell your dad he has a choice. He can take some meds that would help with the symptoms that are causing his deep-seated frustration or he can be placed in a home out of concern for you mother.

Then if he has to be placed in a nursing care facility, it was his choice and his actions that lead to it.

Best of luck.

Montana MOFO
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Take care of your mom....first.

Yup!

it's going to be tough but it needs to be done for her sake. doing it and not hurting the oldmans feelings probably ain't going to happen.

Since he likes to play games and hide things from his doctors you need to record him in his temper tantrums as his doctors need to know everything that is going on.

Good luck, sometimes life gets hard and unenjoyable, I don't envy the things your going to have to do but they need to be done. just remember that when Dad gets mad and upset with you he is not himself, he's sick.

We have a friend whose husband is a non-compliant diabetic and it is looking pretty bad. I don't know if he has early Alzhimers or if it is his biabetic condition. His wife was looking for help, like a visiting nurse but she was told he didn't qualify. She put him on the phone and it was a different story. He ramped up and told the person on the phone they were liars, cheats, wanted his money and so on. She was able to get the help she needed after that phone call.
It's a sad situation but if you fear for your mom's mental well being or safety you're going to have to piss off dad. I hope your siblings are all in agreement with you. I don't envy your position in life right now.

Last edited by smarquez; 07/24/21.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Fireball2: Yes, very astute observation, but he's so frail now it's not possible w/out a very bad outcome. It should have been done years ago.

A verbal ass-kicking.

I'd think about showing up at a doctor's appt with your brother and mother and essentially hold an intervention right there. Explain to the doc in advance what his behavior is like.

Tell your dad he has a choice. He can take some meds that would help with the symptoms that are causing his deep-seated frustration or he can be placed in a home out of concern for you mother.

Then if he has to be placed in a nursing care facility, it was his choice and his actions that lead to it.

Best of luck.

This message board needs a like button.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
According to the OP, his dad is NOT mentally ill, demented or incompetent. If this is the case, then he’s not going to be “placed” anywhere. He will make his own choices. He may indeed have undiagnosed dementia or,alternatively, just be an abusive SOB. If the latter is the case, then it’s probably way past time to get mom out. She may not be willing to do this. Abused spouses don’t always choose to leave. Sounds like a mess. Still a good idea to get home health care and be sure his doctor knows what’s really going on.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Mark
Verbal abuse us still abuse

I need to read some if this reflecting in my iown situation

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
WMR: You're correct regarding an assisted care facility. No way in hell would he agree to that and without a messy and expensive legal proceeding it simply won't happen. He has been verbally abusive for decades; though, as I mentioned his Parkinson's has exacerbated the problem(s). His failure to track during conversations and his forgetfulness are simply mental decline, which has not even reached the level of Demented Joe. As mentioned, recording his outbursts and playing them back to him at a later date may be helpful, as would occasional home health care. No way Mom will be chased out of her home by this, though, I know she's been tempted. Dad can just be very tough to deal with. Unfortunately, not much can be done about it.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thats a tough one......I wish you and your family the best. An internet fourm may not be the place to get the best answer.

I spend all my money on loose women and trapping supplies.....The rest I just waste.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Mad: Correct, but many here have dealt with similar situations and certainly some of the recommendations have been helpful. At the very least, it's given me a lot to consider.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If there isn't a staircase at his house, take him to a place with one. Gravity is a cure all for many things.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
And momentum.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mad: Correct, but many here have dealt with similar situations and certainly some of the recommendations have been helpful. At the very least, it's given me a lot to consider.

Copy that.

I spend all my money on loose women and trapping supplies.....The rest I just waste.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Blood isn't card blanche, they can be removed like a cancer.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by slumlord
on pew pew pew...for the umpteenth time.

He has a thing for Sista's ?

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'd point out that the REAL time to get POA is before, well before, it is needed. If you're over 60, find ONE PERSON who you trust with your life, and make certain they are fully aware of what POA implies. If you wait until there's a problem, guaranteed everyone involved will get an early visit to He//.
My parents actually did the right things, but maybe a little too early because it didn't "register" with me fully. I was given a POA about 15 years beforehand, filed it, and totally forgot about it. Completely. Stepdad dies, Mom gets demented, Washington State laws are stiff (justifiably so), so I was totally along for the ride, and it was rough. Day after Mom dies and I call the stepsibs, stepsis says she had an email from Stepbro with an attached POA. He'd sent it to the steps (but not me) four years previous, right there was not only the POA, but the name of the law firm that had copies of the last will and testament, which I'd never been able to find. Gosh knows where it went or why it was unfindable.
Bottom line is, don't putz around. If it is at all possible to get a POA willingly signed and recorded where it covers both your mom and dad, and by gosh, I hope to heck you guys already have a WILL in force, do that POA.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The Old Man just had the TV cranked to 99. Mom was yelling at him to turn the dammed thing down. He did the same thing this AM, but he "doesn't have hearing problems."

confused

- Del Gue
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Getting older, losing some mental and physical faculties besides the Parkinson has a tendency to lead to depression. It is getting mad with your self,and others around you just happen to get brunt of of it. BTDT

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/25/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, it's sad, ageing like that. We can only hope we remain sharp & in relatively good health until the end.

- Del Gue
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Deafness is also a common cause of mood disorders. It makes one very isolated and that can take a toll. This is not to excuse anyone for abusing a spouse. That is never OK.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I could use a little advice regarding the old man. I know many of you have dealt with similar situations so I thought I would illicit the collective opinions of my fellow ‘fire members and friends here.

For years and years now – a decade or more - my father has been extremely difficult to deal with. He is verbally abusive to my mother and though he has never struck her, it’s a wonder she never left him. His verbal abuse and yelling are almost constant and he is chock full of vitriol. I’m currently visiting the folks and the other night there was yet another yelling battle where he repeated yelling each of three inane statements approximately 23 times. Over and over and over. It was sad to see and hear. My mother has been an absolute saint dealing with it all and she’s very sharp, but she resents the fact that she hasn’t had much of a life in many years due to Dad’s difficulties.

Dad still has most of his facilities, but several years ago he was diagnosed with Parkinson’s, which he refuses to acknowledge and for which he will not take medication. When visiting the doctors, he is on his very best behavior, so the doctors somewhat support his contention, but he regresses extremely quickly once out the door. In recent years he has gotten worse in terms of his decision-making ability – especially financial decisions. His one-tracked mindedness (no matter how asinine his ideas), his verbal abuse to my mother, his physical condition, his slumped-over posture and his failure to hear (which he denies) as well as his ability to track conversations and make associations during a conversation have all worsened. The other day I turned on the TV in the kitchen and nearly had my eardrums blown out – he had the TV cranked up to 72! He’s constantly got Fox News running with the volume cranked, which is hard to deal with. I can only hear about the Delta Variant, Critical Race Theory and that total jackass Hidden Biden so much before I start going mad myself. He waffles back-and-forth with any and every decision to the point where it has become preposterous. Mom can’t really make any decision without Dad flying off the handle. His decisions are almost always wrong (in my opinion) and end up costing 3 times as much as it would have cost if he made a correct decision – which has been a decades-long issue, but has also gotten worse. Additionally, he probably shouldn’t be driving any longer for a variety of reasons.

Then there's the fact that he can also be the sweetest and most generous and genuine man you can imagine.

My brother and I are at a loss as to what to do about the situation. Mom wants to put him in a home, but I can only imagine what a total nightmare that would be. Brother wants to get an attorney involved and transfer power of attorney to Mom. I strongly suspect he eventually wants to pass at home, and who could blame him for that, but his erratic and mean behavior make that difficult for Mom. I know it’s extremely difficult and hurtful for older men to hear any of this from their family, but the time has come and something needs to be done.

So how do I approach this situation as the eldest son as delicately as possible without hurting him and his pride and what is the best course of action?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

It's a tough gig. Do the best you can. As long as you do that...there can be no real regrets.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Itppowell: Duly noted.

WMR: In Dad's case it could easily solved by hearing aids, but he refuses

- Del Gue
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10ring1, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,247
Posts18,466,921
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.