Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I do pay. Live in an unincorporated village and pay a fee to it every month. That is used to pay the local town for police and fire protection; much quicker response than waiting for the sheriff. Also covers all maintenance that a town offers.

In addition I pay a fee to my subdivision. Takes care of lawn as well as snow removal. Repave all access roads every nine or so years and seal coat every third year. Power wash the houses every third year. Lots of preventive maintenance. No azzholes on the board; good, sensible people.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not a home owner's association per se, but a water district that supplies water to the gated community our cabin resides. Annual fee mimics your property tax each year. In return the district supplies water to all lake cabins and hydrants, gate security, mows the common areas, rakes the beaches, garbage pickup, and monitors lake levels at the dam. No over the top regulations, but rules regarding cabin minimum size and what you can build on your lot. Can't park a 5th wheel and live out of it long term.

I like it, Keeps the riff raff out.

Last fall 60-70 percent of the lake cabins burned to the ground in a forest fire. The board of the water district is understandably overwhelmed right now.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I came to understand the reason HOA's/POA's are almost ubiquitous in housing developments built in the last 25-30 years or anywhere but old neighborhoods and custom home sites. It's simple. The developer has a fuduciary duty to the investors to form an HOA to protect the value of the development until the last house is sold. Sometimes there are common property areas, so called "greenbelts," that are required by the town, city, or county planning commission to issue the development permit and those areas must be maintained in perpetuity. Sometimes there's more elaborate club houses and pools and so on. Even if there isn't any common property at all, the developer is going to put up an HOA. Imagine if they're building 900 houses in three phases. They build the first 300 and sell them. They start to build the next 300, but already there's cars on blocks, major appliances in the front yard, dead lawns, and the streets are clogged with RV's with their sewer hoses dumping into the storm drains. That would make it hard to get the prices the investors were expecting.

I'm not defending HOA's, just explaining why they're nearly ubiquitous in any contemporary development. A person can escape the communism of HOA's by buying a 50 year old home and remodeling it or building a custom home on an undeveloped lot, but it comes at a cost of time and money. I don't know what else to recommend. Can a homeowner's bill of rights stop evil HOA's from the most egregious harrassment?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by BayouRover
Here are the specs on my Camry. Mine has the 8-speed auto. It's snappy. Will it hold with your Woody at the "city" stop light? After you get the head liner repaired so you can "go fast"?

2021 R/T Scat Pack

Boosts the Challenger's performance with:

6.4-liter V8 engine (485 hp, 475 lb-ft)
Eight-speed automatic or six-speed manual transmission
Launch control
Brembo performance brake system
High-performance suspension
Xenon headlights
Heated steering wheel and heated front seats
Uconnect 4C infotainment system with 8.4-inch touchscreen
Premium six-speaker audio system
Configurable drive modes
Scat Pack-specific exterior styling details
20" Wheels/Tires

My Ferrari Daytona is much cooler than that.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Here are the specs on my Camry. Mine has the 8-speed auto. It's snappy. Will it hold with your Woody at the "city" stop light? After you get the head liner repaired so you can "go fast"?

2021 R/T Scat Pack

Launch control
Xenon headlights
Configurable drive modes
20" Wheels/Tires

That’s a bad ass car.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

2021 R/T Scat Pack

Launch control
Xenon headlights
Configurable drive modes
20" Wheels/Tires

Is that what you drive when the Crown Vic won't start? And is the head liner loose in it too? Or is that just an older model un-garaged FOMO thing?

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
No but I did get turned in to the police in Abilene Texas by a couple of old folks that lived in a trailer park back of the house we bought because we had barking dogs. Our dogs barked at their dogs but it didn't matter to the judge. Got arrested, fined $25, the bail money, and had to get rid of the dogs. That was in 1978 I think.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our place in new Mexico has a LAO - and who would care?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tikkanut

[quote I drive a RAM 3500 Dually and a F-250 w the 7.3.

hell ya !!
[/quote]
Yes, but can he park them on the street, or in the driveway but not in the garage, and can you work on them out front? Wash them in public view?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobMt

paying taxes so the county or state can maintain roads so people can accesses their property.....is no different than paying into a hoa to maintain roads in a rural area....but some people like and try to feel superior to others....bob

Except the county doesn't tell me what kind of roof I have to put on my house when this one needs replaced, or that I can't have the dumpster out front of the shed so the truck can pick it up once a month or so, or where I can put my chicken Gulag, or that I can't have El Feo the Gorgeous rooster out there fertilizing eggs like nature intended, or that I can't park my tractor where the neighbots can see it from the road.............and so on and so on.

I'd rather pay our county and have the snowplow come out when needed and not have them in a whole lot of the rest of our business.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Valsdad,

You do have me thinking.....
Got a new roof going on in a couple weeks.
Pretty sure I don't need a permit, but with the new(er) state codes
That were passed 10 years ago, or so?
Maybe? Inspection?

Guess I'll find out.

Anything will be better than the one that wants to leak.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Anyone thinking of buying their dream home in an area with a HOA or such might want to read this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Association-Bentley-Little/dp/1587674645

In it is contentment

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

2021 R/T Scat Pack

Launch control
Xenon headlights
Configurable drive modes
20" Wheels/Tires

Is that what you drive when the Crown Vic won't start? And is the head liner loose in it too? Or is that just an older model un-garaged FOMO thing?

No, I drive it all the time....I just lost all my pictures of it....

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Valsdad,

Maybe? Inspection?

Guess I'll find out.

Permits are a bit different in most cases than an Association telling you that ONLY sculptured asphalt shingles are allowed. Or ONLY Red Spanish roofing tiles, you can't replace them with metal even if it's better and longer lasting.

Most times the permits are just to make sure your roof is "up to code" and Juan the roofer doesn't us 1/8" sheeting under the tar paper he had Manuel pull up from another job to use on yours because he can make more money that way.

In it is contentment

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

2021 R/T Scat Pack

Launch control
Xenon headlights
Configurable drive modes
20" Wheels/Tires

No, I drive it all the time....I just lost all my pictures of it....

You know that one time at camp, you grabbed all balls?

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

My other "car" is a 2018 GMC 4 wheel drive pick-em-up truck. It gets parked in an implement building (both securely locked in today's political climate) when I'm not down country where it resides. The truck has a kill switch and the hired man knows how to handle a gun, just in case things were to get real dicey. Otherwise the GMC is parked in front of the house when i'm there. The Challenger gets me there and back.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Valsdad,

Maybe? Inspection?

Guess I'll find out.

Permits are a bit different in most cases than an Association telling you that ONLY sculptured asphalt shingles are allowed. Or ONLY Red Spanish roofing tiles, you can't replace them with metal even if it's better and longer lasting.

Most times the permits are just to make sure your roof is "up to code" and Juan the roofer doesn't us 1/8" sheeting under the tar paper he had Manuel pull up from another job to use on yours because he can make more money that way.

Wasn't thinking of them approving or any of that.
Just popped in my mind that in some places these jobs need permits.
Used to be, here, replacing things was ok.
Not sure now.
Friends with one of our Twp Supervisors.
If he ends up on the porch, either I'm in trouble, or,
He is up for re-election and wants to put a sign in my yard again.

It'll be ok!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by BobMt

paying taxes so the county or state can maintain roads so people can accesses their property.....is no different than paying into a hoa to maintain roads in a rural area....but some people like and try to feel superior to others....bob

Except the county doesn't tell me what kind of roof I have to put on my house when this one needs replaced, or that I can't have the dumpster out front of the shed so the truck can pick it up once a month or so, or where I can put my chicken Gulag, or that I can't have El Feo the Gorgeous rooster out there fertilizing eggs like nature intended, or that I can't park my tractor where the neighbots can see it from the road.............and so on and so on.

I'd rather pay our county and have the snowplow come out when needed and not have them in a whole lot of the rest of our business.

Exactly. If you live in an HOA, that doesn't mean you don't pay taxes for road maintenance lol.

I get it, there are some places it's impossible to buy a piece of ground without it being in one. And some HOA's are very limited in scope and that could make a property really attractive. Especially if it keeps out the whiskey tangos and whatnot. But outside of really wanting to live in a certain area that had no other options I would have a really hard time swallowing my pride and bowing my head. I value my free time, and if I'm paying the note and taxes on a place I'll paint it whatever fugking color I want.

I have buddies that have very benign HOA's, and I have more buddies that have had serious issues with theirs. If I were rich and lazy as fugk, I would maybe like the security of it. Hell, hire a security team and put a fence around that bitch. Then I can lay my head down at night in peace and tranquility. As long as my pillow and comforter match the prescribed design pattern. And sleep when I'm allowed to, so long as I don't snore louder than is delineated in the by-laws. Do the elected HOA board member really get to choose which random wife to fugk or is that only in the Mormon HOA's?

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I’m just glad there is an A at the end of the question.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I’m just glad there is an A at the end of the question.

Might not have as many affirmative answers lol

MAGA
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,909 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,525
Posts18,452,804
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.