Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bet them fuggers taste the same whether shot with a shotgun or rifle!!

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
yoder, I have killed lots of turkey with a shotgun, but I prefer a rifle.. I have no problem with either.. Here we can use either spring or fall.. I do have a problem with the WTF telling me a shotgun is sporting and a rifle isn't.. When I was young rifles were the way to take turkey.. The bastards a the WTF have brainwashed everyone with their bullshit.. It seems like people look at their way as the only way.. This is not directed at you.. Not at all.. I just despise the WTF!!!

Molon Labe
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah I know a few guys that use rifles to shoot long range turkeys in fields like ground hogs but that has never been my style, I enjoy calling in Spring Gobblers to close range in thick woods and it is very difficult indeed to kill a gobbler in this manner with a rifle, a shotgun is much easier in thick terrain. In fact hunting Spring gobblers with a rifle is so tough I quit hunting with one, now I only hunt Spring gobblers with a shotgun (good to 60yds 👍) For my very occasional Fall turkey hunts I do still prefer a rifle.....Good hunting (with whichever weapon you choose) If you really want a challenge try hunting turkeys with archery equipment 😂😂.....Hb

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Unless you bite down on a piece of fAiry dust sized shot.

My late Uncle Doyle Whisenant of Rosedale Mississippi killed a lot of turkeys with handguns with iron sights...his favorite gun was a first year production flat top Ruger .44 mag. converted to .22 Hornet...told me he had the barrel and cylinder made by a Texas gunsmith in 1959 for $35. The job looked factory to me I suspect the gunsmith bought another .44 cylinder and barrel then sleeved them to .22 Hornet.
He also killed turkeys with a S&W 6" 48 and also with a S&W 6" .22 jet. I never saw him shoot a handgun but one of his hunting companions told me he could shoot quail on the rise with his .22 Woodsman. I have a black and white picture of a turkey he killed with a Marlin lever action with what appears to be a Weaver 6x scope on top on the back of the picture it says .219 Zipper at one time it was a factory Marlin. He wasn't into hand loading and told me he sold the Zipper and the Jet because he couldn't find ammo for them.

Turkey hunting is more about how you do it than what you do it with.....

The guy killing a turkey walking around the woods with a just a bow is not the same as a bOzo sitting in a blind with a bow and a decOy spread.

If you can't see that then you been brain washed by the NWTF and the Industrialized turkey industry.

With turkey populations waning in a lot of states we need to address the use of game cameras/bait/feeders and equipment such as decoys and blinds rather than guns and limits.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
LFC, well said..

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC

THAT ain't no schidt, right there !!!

Just 2 days ago, I had a lower molar pulled because I totally destroyed it when I bit into one pellet of Federal Heavyweight #7 shot.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Once again drew my fall turkey permit here in Colorado. The past two years, have scored using my .22 Hornet and 45 gr. softpoints.
What is everyone else using, for calibers and bullets?

To answer your question, I have a Ruger Boat Paddle in 22-250 I use when toting a rifle while turkey hunting; can't remember what grain bullet I'm shooting.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by LFC

THAT ain't no schidt, right there !!!

Just 2 days ago, I had a lower molar pulled because I totally destroyed it when I bit into one pellet of Federal Heavyweight #7 shot.
Originally Posted by LFC

My late Uncle Doyle Whisenant of Rosedale Mississippi killed a lot of turkeys with handguns with iron sights...his favorite gun was a first year production flat top Ruger .44 mag. converted to .22 Hornet...told me he had the barrel and cylinder made by a Texas gunsmith in 1959 for $35. The job looked factory to me I suspect the gunsmith bought another .44 cylinder and barrel then sleeved them to .22 Hornet.
He also killed turkeys with a S&W 6" 48 and also with a S&W 6" .22 jet. I never saw him shoot a handgun but one of his hunting companions told me he could shoot quail on the rise with his .22 Woodsman. I have a black and white picture of a turkey he killed with a Marlin lever action with what appears to be a Weaver 6x scope on top on the back of the picture it says .219 Zipper at one time it was a factory Marlin. He wasn't into hand loading and told me he sold the Zipper and the Jet because he couldn't find ammo for them.

The guy killing a turkey walking around the woods with a just a bow is not the same as a bOzo sitting in a blind with a bow and a decOy spread.

If you can't see that then you been brain washed by the NWTF and the Industrialized turkey industry.

With turkey populations waning in a lot of states we need to address the use of game cameras/bait/feeders and equipment such as decoys and blinds rather than guns and limits.

No fairy dust here. #4 or #5 lead, a tight choke and aim at the eye.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 07/08/21.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I shot mine last fall with an 1873 Winchester chambered in 44-40. Most of the time the 22 hornet gets the nod.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LFC

It might help if more people would pattern their guns and learn what the limits of the gun and load are too, but that’s hard to legislate. The pattern board tells all, including maybe that Old Betsy doesn’t quite shoot where she looks. A lot of “misses” probably aren’t really. That’s another point for the use of rifles.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Pappy348

. A lot of “misses” probably aren’t really. .

That is true with duck hunting as well. Around here, you shoot at a duck and it makes it past the trees and you think you missed. Hunting Arkansas in the open rice fields I have seen first hand ducks that were shot at and they would just fly like nothing happened for maybe a couple of hundred yards and just fall stone dead.
If the bird (duck or turkey) does not fall stone dead at the shot, we think we have missed but maybe we have not.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I've been duck hunting with people that shoot at ducks out of range...some ask "why didn't you shoot ?"....my reply is usually along the lines of they were out of range

Most times when you shoot at game with a shotgun there's a good chance it's not a clean miss....both parties leave with something.

A rifle carries no quarantee of a clean kill either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
I've been duck hunting with people that shoot at ducks out of range...some ask "why didn't you shoot ?"....my reply is usually along the lines of they were out of range

Most times when you shoot at game with a shotgun there's a good chance it's not a clean miss....both parties leave with something.

A rifle carries no quarantee of a clean kill either.

Truth.

I love it when a guy says "I called in a big gobbler but I missed him". Face it.........a standing turkey is pretty hard to "miss".

Had a guy tell me and a buddy that very thing one day. The next day........on the same small ridgetop where the guy missed......I called a slob of a gobbler in for my buddy and he downed it. The bird's breast was riddled with #6 shot. My buddy uses #4's.

Ethical turkey hunting is not solely dependent on one's choice of firearm.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Well, since any (shotgun) non-CNS hits generally mean a turkey walks away, regardless…..seems more folks would embrace getting as few gaps in a pattern as possible, with shot of enough mass to cut the switches….whether it costs $1 a shell or $5 a shell.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
No matter how tight or dense your pattern is you still have flyers....

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Your whole pattern is just ‘flyers’, if you miss the CNS.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
HB, says who..??? I don't like someone telling me how to hunt or what to use.. Just because you like something doesn't mean I have to.. These pricks from the Wild Turkey
Fed// seem to think they are God and their way is the only way.. I can tell you something, call a gobbler in to say 50 yards and TRY and get it with a rifle.. Plus if it is legal , still hunting is far more difficult than calling.. I get sick and tired of hearing how difficult it is to kill a turkey with a shotgun.. It is far easier than with a rifle...

I have no problem with any legal method used and will never begrudge anyone from using their preferred legal method. However when the discussion comes down to which would be easier I can’t count the times I could have taken a turkey with a rifle but it was not possible with my shotgun. I’ve been hunting turkeys since late 70’s here in Missouri. Anyway my thoughts on the matter.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have an idea, just buy a Savage 12/222 combo....best of both worlds

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by pullit
I have an idea, just buy a Savage 12/222 combo....best of both worlds

I have a 12 gauge 223 comb. both shoot great, but not together. The barrel isnt regulated to the barrel impact, but it was centered. Just aim 12 inch up!

I'm selling mine

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
223 is a killer aim where the wing bone meets the back bone tried that on a fall bird with a 308 got 2 drum sticks

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,523
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.