Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlegun
You often read about trespassing hunters setting up tree stands and game cameras on private land that they think that they can use without permission.

Land owners often remove or destroy these. Sometimes the trespassers have the gall to come to the land owner and demand their property back. Obviously though it seems difficult to do this without admitting that you have been trespassing and hunting illegally.

It would seem that all that the land owner needs to do is demand identification from these people, and they would then meekly depart empty-handed. I suppose that they could take their chances with the local LEOs but I think that few would try.

However, since tree stands don't have serial numbers, and identifying markings can be scraped off, why can't you just sell them?

Seems like poetic justice to me.

Simple. It's called "conversion", which is illegal. You can't simply take someone's property for yourself or for sale later without due process.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
If they came onto your property and left something overnight it's yours. Do with it what you wish.

Wrong, sorry.

While I agree with the sentiment, the law doesn't work that way. Gotta put some sort of legal lien on it and then jump through hoops.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Abandoned junk. Littering. Scrap. Use those terms and keep your property clean..

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
we had a guy who would not stay off my uncle`s deer hunting land so my brother cut the tree down and took the stand.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never understood the "It's not posted!" mentality.

You don't own it. It's not clearly marked as public land. Keep your ass off it. Simply. Posted or not.

Caught trespassers a couple of times. They always seemed to be "tracking a deer we shot" GREAT! I'll help you find it. Never found a single drop of blood or deer and they gave up. Weird that....

One other time, was obvious he was in his stand on his side of the line, hunting the opening/trail on my side of the line. Dropped a couple trees in the way - solved that.

Me

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Tree stand- used one time to many. Works fine. Custom paint job. Free shipping not for sale locally.

Or

Free tree stand - just pay shipping. You must be 2000 miles from x marks the spot to take advantage of this opportunity.

Maybe if your handy with a welder you could make some lawn art for the front yard or a gate for the roadway and add pieces to the display as the years go by.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I'd consider it trash that was left on my property by a trespasser and dispose of it as I saw fit. Since I don't hunt out of a tree stand, I'd probably yard sale it and make a little money.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
In most states, Trespassing is a lesser offense than Theft. How about taking it out of the tree and leaving it on the ground with a note telling him to remove and and stop trespassing?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'll just say that butyric acid leaves one heck of a smell.

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
C
C
Seems reasonable enough!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would call the game warden or the sheriff and ask them what to do with the stand. If theres no name and number on the stand you can’t be reasonably expected to notify the owner of it to remove it. It would pizz me off for sure but I wouldn't cause myself any further headaches for a few bucks for the stand. I would rather cause the trespasser headaches from the gamewarden. Theres a good chance they are putting stands on other properties as well not just your. I would probably tape a sign on the tree telling them to notify the game warden concerning the stand.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You often read about trespassing hunters setting up tree stands and game cameras on private land that they think that they can use without permission.

Land owners often remove or destroy these. Sometimes the trespassers have the gall to come to the land owner and demand their property back. Obviously though it seems difficult to do this without admitting that you have been trespassing and hunting illegally.

It would seem that all that the land owner needs to do is demand identification from these people, and they would then meekly depart empty-handed. I suppose that they could take their chances with the local LEOs but I think that few would try.

However, since tree stands don't have serial numbers, and identifying markings can be scraped off, why can't you just sell them?

The BEST IDEA I Heard

Dirty Harry

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

The BEST IDEA I Heard

Dirty Harry

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

If it's not clearly marked with identifying information (like name & driver license number engraved onto treestand), legally you can claim abandoned property and sell it. But there are other ways of handling as others have mentioned.

Had that problem with a neighbor, and didn't need to turn that redneck into an ongoing problem (I don't live there fulltime and he personally didn't know who I was). Photographed everything before & after, took down his stand, his game camera, and eliminated the illegal bait pile. Drove to his house to ask whether the stuff I was holding was his. He claimed he didn't realize he was on someone else's property, so I mentioned perhaps a good clue was the clearly evident knocked down fenceline over which he crossed with his equipment. After mentioning I hope his equipment and tracks don't appear on my land again, because I'd hate to photograph it again and submit to local Conservation Officer, he politely accepted the return of his stuff. Never any problems since.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We took and kept any and all we found.
If a vehicle was on our land, they most always ran over an old rusty rake or 2 that was laying in the weeds on their way out.
When we first bought OUR farm for hunting, we tried the nice route. Far too many poachers had been accessing the land for too many years and thought they had the right to trespass.
We put an end to it quickly. It was our land bought for us and our friends.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
642 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 56 invisible), 2,893 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,149
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.