Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
What’s everyone’s thoughts on these? My current arrow rest on my compound is a fancy drop away and I just never have been real impressed with it. I don’t care for the extra string that has to be tied off to the bow and I’m always afraid of the moving parts failing or giving me issues when I really need it the most. From a hunting bow standpoint the whisker biscuit is looking attractive to me … I’ve just never used one before. I like the idea of its simplicity. Is there any downfalls to using one? Like I say, it’ll strictly be for hunting and backyard shooting.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used them, they are fine for the most part. I got rid of mine because my groups really started opening up past 40 yards. After swapping to a drop away they tightened up. Could be coincidence but I know others who have had similar experiences.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
I've used them, they are fine for the most part. I got rid of mine because my groups really started opening up past 40 yards. After swapping to a drop away they tightened up. Could be coincidence but I know others who have had similar experiences.

Good to know. I’m a treestand hunter here in southern Illinois and never shoot past 40yds. Definitely something to consider though.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I really like mine,
I have heard both sides,some say it does affect longer shooting.
I also hunt from trees,so I limit my shots as well.

I'm sure there are newer products out there,but I had trouble with my arrow coming off of the drop away.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve used both, prefer the drop away.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Biscuit

All American

All the time
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

My experience as well - plus vane ripple (waves in the plastic) over time, and the bristles wear out faster than a drop away for me. The wave in the vanes was a killer for me, as I don’t like to refletch just from shooting through the rest. Newer vanes seem for resistant to this - but I haven’t tried one in years.

They’re a simple solution, and if you truly don’t shoot past 20 yards, they’re pretty bomb proof.

I’ll stick with a Vapor Trail or HDX - YMMV.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I used one for a number of years. It worked well enough and it was nice not having to worry about losing my arrow off the rest. But it was harder on vanes than I preferred. A bit more noise too, but I killed a number of deer with it. They work pretty decent in my book.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve used two different drop always on six different bows, for 15 or so years. And have had zero issues with them (Ripcord and QAD). Never have used the biscuit.

Last edited by dale06; 07/25/21.

NRA Patron
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Going.i.to my 3rd season with A biscuit and love it.

I practice to 60 yards a d ha e never shot better

Love that I can stalk along the ground and not worry

No vanes issues shooting blazers, tunes easy

If bristles wear out they are replaceable quick and easy

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Just remember, the arrow is in the rest the whole time after release. Form is even more important so you don't effect the arrow flight. I used one until I used a drop away, I continued with the drop away.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve used both, prefer the drop away.

Yep!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I use a Firenock arrow rest. Works well. Had no trouble with it.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I prefer the drop away. The whisker biscuit makes contact with the fletching every shot, I’ve never seen that as a good thing.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've used both types over the years, I still like certain drop away rest, some are easy to set and forget. Some are a constant pain in da ass.
Then I started using WB's and I liked them. Groups in the target were no different than, ya ya I heard all the crap about the arrow in contact blabla. But the fact is they work well for hunting, easy to set up & when the biscuit wears out snap in a new set of puss hairs.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
a drop away rest has won a lot of archery tournaments , is much easier on arrow fletching, consistency is way more accurate with a drop away rest. i have used drop away rests many years i like this rest, i have very little faith in a Biscuit arrow rest .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Furthermore, I still use aluminum arrows. grin

All American

All the time
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've used multiple types of rests in my 35 years of bow hunting, and I've gone back from drop aways to the whisker biscuit. I've had some issues over the years of cables slipping on drop aways and causing the rest to not clear the arrow in time.
I want all my components on the bow to be dead reliable, and the biscuit does it for me. I love the fact that the arrow stays put no matter what angle the bow is at on a stalk. Hash marks tell me that the rest hasn't moved, and I've never had an accuracy issue out to 60 yards as long as I use stiff vanes. Dragging a few strands of cotton ball through the hole takes away the sound when drawing.
To each his own but for me the biscuit works best.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
WB is a superior hunting rest, IMO.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anything that touches the fletching will affect the flight of the arrow........that said a WB works amazingly well. But, fixed blade broadheads at longer ranges will often show the WB limitations.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222ND, 72 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,678
Posts18,456,284
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.