Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
Loper Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Recently I got a quail hunting trip in GA. I’d like to get my first double gun for the trip which will be in early to mid Winter. I could take a 12 ga. semi-auto or pump shotgun, but I’d really like to have a double barrel shotgun. I don’t do a ton of upland hunting to justify the purchase, but I could also use it for sporting clays/trap//skeet. Plus there’s never a bad reason to buy a new gun.

I’ve been doing a fair amount of research in the last couple of weeks. I’m pretty set in a 20 gauge. Some may think that may be too big for bob white quail, but I’d really like to get something that would be versatile and can use on pheasants if I go back to ND. I don’t think I have any intention of getting a 12 gauge, but am open to a 16 gauge.

My preference would be something relatively lightweight,around 6.5 lbs or less. Originally I was thinking of getting an O/U but in my research the SxS have really intrigued me.

My original thought is to spend the money on something of good quality that will last a lifetime and I can pass down to my son. I typically buy entry level guns, only to sell them a few years later and buy something better.

In my research I’ve also discovered the world of vintage side by sides, which I think would be really cool to own and shoot. Although, these old guns have more meaning when passed down through generations, but unfortunately my dad and grandfathers weren’t hunters or shooters so any vintage shotgun wouldn’t have a personal story with it.

I’ve been looking at the Browning Cynergy in 20 ga. and am not completely set on this, but I really like it.

I’ve also been looking at various CZ models, like the Bob White, Redhead, and SharpTail. I actually really like the weight and idea of the Upland Ultralight, but don’t love the looks of it. I wouldn’t be opposed to a Ruger Red Label either.

For some reason, the Berrettas don’t really do much for me.

Any other brands or specific shotguns you recommend or I should take a look at? I’d spend up to $2,000, if it is something I really like, is of great quality and will last a lifetime.

Sorry for the long post.

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
You might consider a bump in your budget and spend a few more dollars to get a real nice heirloom gun that you will hunt years with and your son would love to inherit.

English side by side shotguns are exceptional and you can find a nice quality Birmingham gun that will not only be light for its gauge and a 12 bore will always pattern better than a 20.

If you do get one, you won’t be sorry.

http://www.hillrodandgun.com/

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
^^^^The English wrote the book on side by sides^^^^ very light loaded 12 bores set live game records that will never be beaten. The Basques, however, were smart enough to copy the fine English guns, and there are some bargains to be had there, so you don't have to sell the ranch to get a quality gun that will perform like a fine English gun. I emphasize, the light loads were the foundation of the great gunmakers. I don't think you can buy a factory load that will make an English or Basque gun perform to it's full potential. Author Terry Weiland wrote on this subject a while back.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are a ton of nice sxs's out there. I shoot sxs's almost exclusively, don't cross the 12ga off your list. My favorite 12's are under 6 1/2 lbs. It is the shot charge that is important. In my 12's I shoot 7/8 and 1 oz loads in 2 1/2" shells, even my waterfowl shotguns;

Husqvarna 51 12ga 29 1/2" barrels at 6 lb 8 oz I use 7/8 oz ITX and 1 oz of Bismuth for waterfowl.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

My Hungarian 12ga sxs with 70mm chambers, 27" barrels and chrome lined bores is 6 lb 12 oz . The British10ga Hammer shotgun shown with the 12 is only 7 lb 14 oz I'll be hunting quial with it this fall with 7/8 oz #8's.

My all time favorite upland gun is a 12ga 5 lb 15oz(yes 5 lb) Bernardelli it is lightning fast and an ounce of lead 6's is the Hammer of Thor on wild pheasants.

There are a lot of nice 12ga Euro sxs's out there that come in under 7 lbs. and lots of 1 oz and under hunting ammo available. I've sold off all my sub gauge bird guns for light 12's.

Last edited by erich; 07/25/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Look around the internet for a good used Sauer, Simson, Manufrance (Robust) or Merkel 16 gauge.

This is post-war gun and has 2 3/4" chambers. The Sauers were nimble guns on the 16 gauge frame.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...el-60-16ga-mfg-1955.cfm?gun_id=101663785

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Check out Crosnoe guns out of Cape Girardeau, Missouri. They have several vintage but not "old". Good luck

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Go slow and educate yourself on SxS...If one doesn't know their way around, or buy on the advice of someone who does, you can easily buy a money pit when you are buying something old.

It may look cool to go on your Quail hunt with a SxS, however it isn't necessary. In addition many of the older ones have stock dimensions with considerable drop at heel. Harder to shoot and recoil to face will be increased.

Something made relatively recently is the wise choice for one not all that familiar with SxS..

Last edited by battue; 07/26/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by battue
Go slow and educate yourself on SxS...If one doesn't know their way around, or buy on the advice of someone who does, you can easily buy a money pit when you are buying something old.

It may look cool to go on your Quail hunt with a SxS, however it isn't necessary. In addition many of the older ones have stock dimensions with considerable drop at heel. Harder to shoot and recoil to face will be increased.

Something made relatively recently is the wise choice for one not all that familiar with SxS..

Lots of wisdom in this post. You'd be fine with the Browning O/U you mentioned. In mid priced SxS guns, I like the Browning BSS or Ithaca SKB guns. I shoot a big long BSS 12 very well but it is a bit heavy to carry everywhere. The Browning 20's are more portable. The Ithaca SKB 12's are still handy guns. My preference is for 28 inch or longer barrels as I think they point better, but to each his own. I only buy if the condition is very good or better. I've been underwhelmed with the CZ shotguns. I think they look better than they work. When I got my first vintage gun, I consulted an expert friend who helped me choose it. Maybe you should make friends with battue. He seems pretty informed.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A 20 gauge Parker or Fox, if it fits you, would be an appropriate choice for a Georgia plantation hunt, I would think. As noted above, these will have a bit more drop at heel and comb than newer guns; but you may actually prefer more drop, as do I. It won't beat you death as a game gun, but if you use it a lot for extended rounds of clay games, I suppose it might become noticeable. Best thing to do is handle as many different guns as you can. You'll develop a preference.

Also, you'll want to consider whether or not you want to go with single or double triggers; I always liked double triggers, but they take some getting used to.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
L
Loper Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by HitnRun
You might consider a bump in your budget and spend a few more dollars to get a real nice heirloom gun that you will hunt years with and your son would love to inherit.

English side by side shotguns are exceptional and you can find a nice quality Birmingham gun that will not only be light for its gauge and a 12 bore will always pattern better than a 20.

If you do get one, you won’t be sorry.

Wow....those are some beautiful shotguns. Many of them are out of my price range, but a handful have piqued my interest.

Originally Posted by flintlocke
^^^^The English wrote the book on side by sides^^^^ very light loaded 12 bores set live game records that will never be beaten. The Basques, however, were smart enough to copy the fine English guns, and there are some bargains to be had there, so you don't have to sell the ranch to get a quality gun that will perform like a fine English gun. I emphasize, the light loads were the foundation of the great gunmakers. I don't think you can buy a factory load that will make an English or Basque gun perform to it's full potential. Author Terry Weiland wrote on this subject a while back.

I haven't come across many Spanish/Basque shotguns in my research. Any particular brands or models you recommend checking out? Do you have a link to any Terry Weiland articles or books I should check out?

Originally Posted by erich
There are a ton of nice sxs's out there. I shoot sxs's almost exclusively, don't cross the 12ga off your list. My favorite 12's are under 6 1/2 lbs. It is the shot charge that is important. In my 12's I shoot 7/8 and 1 oz loads in 2 1/2" shells, even my waterfowl shotguns;

Husqvarna 51 12ga 29 1/2" barrels at 6 lb 8 oz I use 7/8 oz ITX and 1 oz of Bismuth for waterfowl.

My Hungarian 12ga sxs with 70mm chambers, 27" barrels and chrome lined bores is 6 lb 12 oz . The British10ga Hammer shotgun shown with the 12 is only 7 lb 14 oz I'll be hunting quial with it this fall with 7/8 oz #8's.

My all time favorite upland gun is a 12ga 5 lb 15oz(yes 5 lb) Bernardelli it is lightning fast and an ounce of lead 6's is the Hammer of Thor on wild pheasants.

There are a lot of nice 12ga Euro sxs's out there that come in under 7 lbs. and lots of 1 oz and under hunting ammo available. I've sold off all my sub gauge bird guns for light 12's.

Good point on shooting lighter 12 gauge loads and finding one that is lightweight. I think that you and HitnRun have convinced me to include 12 gauge into my search. I don't reload for shotgun, but maybe this is a good reason to start.

Originally Posted by DeWman
Check out Crosnoe guns out of Cape Girardeau, Missouri. They have several vintage but not "old". Good luck

Thanks. There's quite the inventory here. They do a great job with pictures and condition, I just wish they posted the weight as well. I may be making a phone call to determine weight.

Originally Posted by windridge
Look around the internet for a good used Sauer, Simson, Manufrance (Robust) or Merkel 16 gauge.

This is post-war gun and has 2 3/4" chambers. The Sauers were nimble guns on the 16 gauge frame.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...el-60-16ga-mfg-1955.cfm?gun_id=101663785

Thank you for the recommendation. I think I saw a few a handful of Sauers and Merkels in my research. I'll certainly consider these.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I guess I really don't need to rush into something.The lat thing that I want to do is to have to spend time and money on something that gives me a headache. I was listening to a podcast recently that called out that many of the older guns a lot of drop.

Originally Posted by WMR

Lots of wisdom in this post. You'd be fine with the Browning O/U you mentioned. In mid priced SxS guns, I like the Browning BSS or Ithaca SKB guns. I shoot a big long BSS 12 very well but it is a bit heavy to carry everywhere. The Browning 20's are more portable. The Ithaca SKB 12's are still handy guns. My preference is for 28 inch or longer barrels as I think they point better, but to each his own. I only buy if the condition is very good or better. I've been underwhelmed with the CZ shotguns. I think they look better than they work. When I got my first vintage gun, I consulted an expert friend who helped me choose it. Maybe you should make friends with battue. He seems pretty informed.

I've heard good things about the Browning BSS. What is the weight of your BSS 12? Originally, I was thinking about getting 26" barrels to savie wieght for when I'd be hiking multiple miles a day chasing pheasants in ND if I got back, however, reading up on it many people say that they don't follow through as well as 28" barrels. What things did you not like about the CZ guns? Which models did you have or shoot? What was your first vintage gun? Any regrets or things you'd change if you had to do it over?

Thanks for all the advice and recommendations! Keep it coming as the more I educate myself the better decision I'll make.

IC B3

L
Loper Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
A 20 gauge Parker or Fox, if it fits you, would be an appropriate choice for a Georgia plantation hunt, I would think. As noted above, these will have a bit more drop at heel and comb than newer guns; but you may actually prefer more drop, as do I. It won't beat you death as a game gun, but if you use it a lot for extended rounds of clay games, I suppose it might become noticeable. Best thing to do is handle as many different guns as you can. You'll develop a preference.

Also, you'll want to consider whether or not you want to go with single or double triggers; I always liked double triggers, but they take some getting used to.

The Parkers and Fox guns are probably what drew me into consider something vintage. Good call on handling as many as possible. I probably need to start going to the trap and skeet club more and chatting with people and asking about their shotguns. Perhaps some will let me handle or shoot them. I think I like the mystique, of the double triggers as it seems very old school and traditional, but I often wonder if I'd like it when shooting at game. If I don't master it and it causes me to hesitate or miss on birds, I'd probably regret the decision.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Double triggers are not all the hard to figure out....And it is highly unlikely you will find a good small gauge Parker or Fox for $2000.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 20ga Bobwhite, not a favorite but I keep it around for shooting high volume steel. Triggers are heavy and the shotgun is heavy for it's size BUT that isn't to bad as high volume steel doesn't include a lot of walking.

As far as barrel length it is really a personal thing, my Bernardelli has 25" barrels and my Husqvarna 29 1/2" the rest of my sxs's kind of fit in between. Both my longer barreled Huskies have swamped barrels keeping the weight down.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A fire poster has one of these and seems to like it...Right around your price point...

https://dickinsonarms.com/portfolio/plantation/

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have been using Ugartechea SxS's for many years. They are well made, fairly light and reasonably priced. Built much like a British game gun.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ugartechea are one of the best of the Spanish SxS.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
One more thought:

Everyone wants you to shoot their favorite gun, I suggest you get the gun you will like. A nice SxS with an English grip and splinter forearm will point better and you can get a good London, Birmingham gun in a 12 gauge that will weigh no more than the Spanish 20 gauges and still less than German 20’s.

Shooting well with light loads will compensate for bad shooting and more powerful loads.

Patterns are essential when you talk of lighter loads and the 12 will excel in that category. Double triggers are a plus, you can shoot either barrel first and still follow up with a quick second shot and you don’t have to remember the selector on a single trigger gun.

You can find something you will love for under $2600.00 and they will still be worth it years later when the Brownings and European guns have lost their luster.

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My Browning 12 has 30 inch barrels and goes about 7.5 lb. I’ve lugged it many miles for pheasants and ducks. It’s killed more birds than Colonel Sanders but is really too heavy for a true upland gun.

Lighter guns from Browning, Ithaca/SKB and Ugartechea (as Ed pointed out), are often found well below $2000 and can be good choices. As long as you don’t overpay, and give them reasonable care, they will hold their value forever.

True vintage guns, as battue suggests, are a bit of a risk until you know exactly what to look for. In almost all of these, small gauge guns have skyrocketed in price. Some nice 12’s can occasionally be found at reasonable prices. My most carried gun is a 1930’s Ithaca NID 12. These are solid guns and can sometimes be found at bargain prices.

BTW, I only buy guns that fit me, or can easily be made to do so. I also am quick to have chokes opened if it fits my purposes. I am a shooter, not a collector. I’d sooner hit with a Mossberg than miss with a Parker.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by HitnRun
One more thought:

Everyone wants you to shoot their favorite gun, I suggest you get the gun you will like. A nice SxS with an English grip and splinter forearm will point better and you can get a good London, Birmingham gun in a 12 gauge that will weigh no more than the Spanish 20 gauges and still less than German 20’s.

Shooting well with light loads will compensate for bad shooting and more powerful loads.

Patterns are essential when you talk of lighter loads and the 12 will excel in that category. Double triggers are a plus, you can shoot either barrel first and still follow up with a quick second shot and you don’t have to remember the selector on a single trigger gun.

You can find something you will love for under $2600.00 and they will still be worth it years later when the Brownings and European guns have lost their luster.

Only problem with many of the older ones, and the old Brit shotguns are especially suspect, is soft steel. Will only show itself if the gun has been shot more than a little. However, one of the reasons the Brit guns of the past were sent back to be tightened up on a regular basis. Which also was true of the old London "Best" that were used extensively on the driven fields. And a good reason for having any older double checked out by someone who knows what they are looking at. That and if a part lets loose, you are most likely looking at having a good smith duplicate it. Which may or may not hurt more than a little.

Two triggers on older SxS are more reliable, but with todays modern shells....IC or Mod both work about the same out to were most of us consistently fail. So trigger selection becomes mostly a non-issue.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Only problem with many of the older ones, and the old Brit shotguns are especially suspect, is soft steel. Will only show itself if the gun has been shot more than a little. However, one of the reasons the Brit guns of the past were sent back to be tightened up on a regular basis. Which also was true of the old London "Best" that were used extensively on the driven fields. And a good reason for having any older double checked out by someone who knows what they are looking at. That and if a part lets loose, you are most likely looking at having a good smith duplicate it. Which may or may not hurt more than a little.

That’s exactly why you need to look at

The barrels, action and wood has all been checked for tolerance and guaranteed. No guesswork here, just a solid guarantee:

We offer a five day inspection period with a "Return demanded if not delighted!" - no questions asked return policy.

There isn’t any used gun that will always past scrutiny regardless of origin.

There is no guesswork at Hill Rod And Gun

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,099 guests, and 1,039 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,339
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.