Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Welldone
Got another question.
I’m also thinking of shortening the barrel from 24” to 20” and maybe shorten the LOP a little to. I have a small low power scope that I plan to mount. I am looking to make it a very handy go to rifle that’s fun to hunt with. I once had a Blaser K95 that was a great rifle and this Low Wall might be that kind of rifle but more of an American classic.
Anybody ever had a STUBBY LOW WALL?

I've thought about doing something like a 460 S&W or even a 405 Win. in a 20" barreled High Wall.

I've had numerous short stubby single shots........

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Martini, in 218 Bee

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Winchester once made some "Lightweight Carbines' with 15" barrels on Lowall actions in .44-40, .38-40 (few) and .32-20 WCF (few) many of them were sold in Australia under various trade names like "Stinger." Handy little guys and the cheapest Winchester centerfires of their time. So a 20 incher doesn't seem so stubby....

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As mentioned, it'll likely be more than a simple rebore and chamber job.

Keep it and get one of the new ones offered in 6.5x55 Swede.

I'm trying to get mine to the shop for a rebore from 22-250 to 250 Savage.
A 14 twist 22-250 has little appeal for me, I bought it for a song, and the 250 Sav conversion should be straightforward. Otherwise I'd be in line for one of those Swedes.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Got another question.
I’m also thinking of shortening the barrel from 24” to 20” and maybe shorten the LOP a little to. I have a small low power scope that I plan to mount. I am looking to make it a very handy go to rifle that’s fun to hunt with. I once had a Blaser K95 that was a great rifle and this Low Wall might be that kind of rifle but more of an American classic.
Anybody ever had a STUBBY LOW WALL?

Oh dear Lord. If you're going to cut on both ends, why don't you sell it and buy and Encore with multiple barrels.

There is no way shortening the LOP on the Low Wall is going to Make you think you're holding a K95.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Oh no, I certainly agree about the K95. It’s incredible. That’s funny that you mentioned going the Encore route. I would, but I think that they are butt ugly. Wait a minute…… am I creating a butt ugly version of the Low Wall? Maybe I need to stop and think about that. I like classic guns BUT I like to put my spin on them. That’s really why this whole thread was started. To get your ideas and opinions. Keep it coming.

Anybody ever had a 308 Browning Low Wall ? How was the recoil?

Last edited by Welldone; 07/17/21.
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Oh no, I certainly agree about the K95. It’s incredible. That’s funny that you mentioned going the Encore route. I would, but I think that they are butt ugly. Wait a minute…… am I creating a butt ugly version of the Low Wall? Maybe I need to stop and think about that. I like classic guns BUT I like to put my spin on them. That’s really why this whole thread was started. To get your ideas and opinions. Keep it coming.

For the price it's hard to beat a pre-enjoyed NEF.

NEF Handi-rifle (IIRC) 444 Marlin

NEF 12 Ga., 3" Slug Gun

Not so Butt-Ugly Contender

7-30 Waters & "The Dragon's Kiss"

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Anybody ever had a 308 Browning Low Wall ? How was the recoil?

Find yourself a T/C TCR Aristocrat and you can have your choice of several big game calibers in addition to 22 hornet, 222 Rem and the like. It's a very handsome and elegant rifle and you can add barrels as they become available. I have 4 bbls. 22 Hornet, 222 Rem., 22-250 & 7mm-08.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a couple of the 1885 Browning's in .223 and .243. I had one in .260 Remington. That's one I regret selling, but I was offered crazy money for it. The Gent was going to case color the receiver. Made me kinda sad as few as they are. But it was his to do whatever with.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm a sucker for color case hardening, and have had it done on various projects over the years, but would question doing it on a Miroku Low Wall. Mind you I'm just thinking out loud here.

The new Low Walls are dependent entirely on state of the art steel metallurgy for safety - the old design was never intended to hold things like .243's, .260's, 6.5's, etc. and would indeed become hand grenades in short order if such a thing were tried. I wonder if the heat treating protocols for case hardening would upset the apple cart of the carefully rendered metallurgy of the steel that is currently containing those 50+K PSI cartridges safely and efficiently in the Mirokus?

I don't know, but I would get an opinion from a crackerjack metallurgist before doing it, and not the opinion of a couple guys with a shop in an alley who are looking to make a few bucks. Other falling block single shot designs (as well as a whole universe of other types of actions), like the High Wall, Number 1, etc., that are like bank vaults due to their designs can shrug off a little dodgy metallurgy - but can the Low Wall?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I am now considering chambering the re bored barrel to a plain old 308 Winchester. Is the modern Miroku low wall strong enough?

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Sell the low wall and buy a Ruger # 1 in the caliber of choice.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I know it has been chambered in .243 and .260 from the factory

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I am now considering chambering the re bored barrel to a plain old 308 Winchester. Is the modern Miroku low wall strong enough?

I would certainly think so but I'm not qualified to tell you. I'm sure there are some here who are.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I would leave the Hornet alone like others have posted. A 25-35 or the improved version of it would be interesting. The low wall should be fine in 308 but that just doesn't seem interesting to me while the 260 or 6.5x55 are definitely interesting.

Not sure about the color case hardening I thought some low walls came with it like the Black powder express high walls.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have purchased a 22 Hornet Low Wall. It has beautiful wood and I’m thinking of having the barrel bored and rifled to a round for deer hunting. I’m having a tough time deciding which cartridge for chambering. I have a ton of LAPUA 6 BR brass. I also have a 6 BRX reamer and a 30 BRX reamer. Sounds about right for a low recoiling light weight deer rifle. I’ve also got tons of 30-30 brass. Hey, that’s more traditional and you I could always make it Ackley Improved for a little more zip. Has anyone ever done such a crazy project and how did it turn out?
Thanks

Riflemen are loonie! Why can't we just leave a beautiful little rifle alone and get something else to chop shop into an oddball caliber. I've got a Miroku LW .357 that is just such a little beauty and a tack driver to boot - and all I can think about is converting it to 357 Max or a 35/30x30 Imp. Stoopid thinking!

Welldone,
Get yourself a T/C Encore/Contender or a Brown Model 97 and leave the LW as is.

Okay, now it's your turn to tell me to leave my 357 alone...

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually, it’s my turn to tell you to sell it to me at a nice (for me) price.

I have a .44. See .45s for sale all the time. .357s are at least as scarce as the .260s, ones for sale anyway.

I’m struggling with the idea of having the .44 drilled for Talley mounts. The struggle is as much about the expense as the sacrilege.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I can’t help you. I’ve even considered the 357 MAX ! I still am hanging onto the 22 Hornet Low Wall. I also have my eye on a 30-06 B78 Highwall. I just might let it be my deer rifle and either sell the Low Wall. As I get older, I just really don’t care for heavy recoiling guns. I’ve had UltraMags and Weatherbys when I went though my long range hunting phase. Didn’t seem to notice too much back then but now I couldn’t even talk myself into pulling the trigger on one. I think that the 30-06 B78 would be about all I’m want to handle.
As far as the Low Wall goes, If I do have it bored and chambered , I leaning towards the old favorite 30-30. Not Akley Improved just plain old 30-30.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Welldone, I'm going to make you a mafia offer...

I'll trade you my CVA Apex with custom 357 Max and 250 Savage barrels, 308 factory barrel and 50 Black Powder barrel for your 22 Hornet. The Apex has a new stock and there are appropriate forearms for the barrels, including the black powder barrel. All barrels have scope bases.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Wow. What a deal. That is very generous and usually I would jump all over it but I’m gonna have to decline your offer. I now have a new love for WALLS……low and high.

M
M
Depending on where you hunt and hunting style, I sure would like a low wall in 357 Max...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 14 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 769 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,662
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.