Print Thread
Hop To
I
iskra Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I

Just made a Post in the Fire Hunting Rifle Forum. Link below W/PIX!. My K98K under subject "Win .308." chambering! As always, my seeking looking "to share" as vulnerable Tread presented! "Target of opportunity". Victimizing; posting there "with intent"! smile Here... "Compounding a Frivolity",

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../16263233/the-venerable-308#Post16263233 (The fourteenth post just accomplished minutes ago.)

The rifle, a very nice, apparently 'original as rearsenaled' condition, postwar 7.62 NATO. Refurb in Pattern K98K. Possibly accomplished by CZ firm itself. As coming to me some decades ago, with a brand new appearing bolt 'without' guide rib, such as the CZ firm made at war's end and early postwar in it's commercial 98 pattern sporters. The problem, unlike the "solid sidewall" sporters, not cycling smoothly as bolt catching on thumb rail area. Replaced with 'headspace OK', bolt body as retaining original bolt.
Expert mauser heads have suggested, the action from an early Persian contract per receiver ring nomenclature & SN. What's unusual here, the lack of typical action "scrubbing" Exactly 'who/when' refurb accomplished remaining unknown. But a quality job!

Hope of some interest here!
Best!
John

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My brother had 98K in .308 which I believe was a Israeli conversion, the rifle extremely well especially with Hornady 150 gr round nose...go figure.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I think there were two Czechoslovakian manufacturers during the war with codes DOT (also used 945 code) and DOU. I have a DOT 1945 marked action but it was not ever issued that year and is a post war stamping and assembly of parts - there were no DOT 1945 actions made for the Germans but were stamped that way to make them desirable for sale to the Israelis post-war (war time produced actions were deemed to be better, even the late war versions). The receivers were manufactured during the war with only the "194" part of the date code stamped - the final figure of the date code would be added during assembly of a complete rifle. In the case of the DOT 1945, the "5" was stamped much later in the 1950s, and shows the typical mismatch of the font and angle - the "5" is crooked.

Dirty pitted barrel but sharp rifling and shoots good. The action has to be operated swiftly otherwise the case head jumps in front of the extractor and jams - my extractor will not snap over the rim and has to have hold of the extractor groove to be able to chamber the round correctly.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice rifle iskra! Interesting markings and history! And you learned me something about Brno made rifles not having the guide rib.

I've got one of these waiting back home, but I won't see it for a week or so. Rampant lion crested Israeli conversion. Hoping it groups a 130gr TTSX decently enough to be interesting. I love the balance, handling and pointing of the Kar 98k, but I do not love running full power ammo through them. (Edit: Just checked a photo that the seller had sent me. Mine has the rib.)

Doctor_Encore, that is interesting! Wonder if it likes the ogive closer to the rifling?

Mauserand9mm, thanks for the info! An SWF45 code is a legit Czech made Nazi rifle though right?

Last edited by Igloo; 07/26/21.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
I
iskra Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Sorry Igloo for such late reply. Possible misunderstanding!
Some late war Cz "econo-bolts manufactured without guide rib! All receivers yet underside-bridge slotted for ribs.

Beyond a bit confusing! EARLIEST POSTWAR BRNO SPORTERS... Typically, with rib and detent slot underside of bridge required to "accommodate". LATER FORTIES all Brno sporters and some apparent rearsenaled Brno military 98s, without the bolt guide rib. The sporters were of solid left sidewall design. Such and of tight tolerances, the guide rib superfluous! On the yet traditional thumb cut military, a problem with 'guideless' bolts hanging-up cycling closed.

If all this is insufficiently confusing... Earlier sporters yet retaining the bridge underside guide rib slots, thus guide rib equipped bolts, optional. Later forties sporters, without such slot. Standard mauser guide rib bolt, will not fit! Latter Brno sporters design of the fifties+, returning to full, traditional guide rib configuration!

Last comment These Brno sporters, of half-stock and full-stock configurations; all 'quality'!

Now, don't worry! No "timed test" on this subject required... Today! smile

Best & Stay Safe!
John

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hahaha no worries John! Thanks! Exam or not I am taking notes

BTW sorry for the small image size but here's mine spending time with a chum (I was shooting the load development mentioned in my Barnes 7.62x39mm thread)

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Igloo; 08/30/21.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Igloo

Mauserand9mm, thanks for the info! An SWF45 code is a legit Czech made Nazi rifle though right?

Yes SWP 45 is legit. I had found an article about the history of the Israeli rifles but will have to go digging for it. I can't remember the website where I found it but think is has been abandoned ("Late war" or something like that).

Edit: Here's a link to some info:

https://wwiiafterwwii.wordpress.com/2015/12/14/german-98k-rifle-in-israeli-service/

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 08/31/21.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 37 invisible), 1,901 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,440
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.