Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I went to Cancun seven times. I hated Cancun. But Cancun had an airport. We would fly down there from Atlanta, rent a car, and get out of town. We went 80 miles, down to a little town on the beach called Tulum. We would rent a little hut on the beach, lay back in a hammock under a palm tree and drink a cold Mexican beer. It was great! And very cheap. Beautiful crystal clear Carribbean water, wonderful skin diving there in the Yucatan.
This was back in the eighties. Last time we went was 1991. There were no problems except, every time we went down, now we would stay for a week, and the day we got back we got amoebic dysentery. They call it Montezuma's revenge. You will not be at your job for 4 days. Really nasty.

Anyway, no crime there in the Yucatan in those days. I talked to a gal who was at the same town, Tulum, in 2005 and she said the dope cartels were having shootouts in the streets with the Federal police, and she would never go back.

I also travelled extensively around Mexico by car in the seventies and eighties. Never had a problem. That country has gone into the septic tank since then. I wouldn't go back to Mexico today if you paid me a thousand dollars.

That is all true.

I went down to Tulum in those days too.

Beautiful water

Zero crime

Food and drink cheap cheap

Yes, you did get Montezuma’s revenge!

Today? No way!

Except you still get Montezuma

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
BP-B2

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I never have gotten sick in Mexico, all the horse troughs, stock tanks I drank out of growing up I guess.

Kent

Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
It’s an enjoyable country and everything is fine there, right up until it isn’t. My last trip there was a turkey hunt in Chihuahua, about 6 hours south of Tucson. Great trip. Great time but one of the most startling things I learned form the locals was the fact that the roads belonged to the people during the day and the cartels at night. Wherever you were when it got dark, you stayed there till the following morning. They accepted it and planned for it just like I have to accept and plan for beltway traffic around the DC area. It was a fact of life. I’ve been there many times but I doubt I’ll be back until something drastically changes. Too bad, it’s a nice place with a lot of good people.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the 90's when I moved factories out of Ohio to Gomez Pelacio and to Hermasillo, we took training in what to do when kidnapped, the Co. carried $10 mil insurance on each of us. Learned to carry two months of medications and scrips, at that point kidnappers wanted you alive...

We no longer go there to work, I still get the STEP notifications, Smokies and Montana look good to me for vacations.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
It's a schithole. A schithole with killer fishing, beaches, food......still a schithole.

All told, it's likely safer than going into Tacoma, as long as you're halfway smart about it.

I was in Vallarta earlier this year. About 6 months ago the governor of Jalisco got gunned down in a bar downtown. Id not count on touristvtowns being safe. Cartels don't GAF if your a live gringo or a dead gringo.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty country, with great hunting and fishing. Also some very nice people. It’s a shame the United States need for illegal drugs has helped with Mexico’s decline. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MadMooner
It's a schithole. A schithole with killer fishing, beaches, food......still a schithole.

All told, it's likely safer than going into Tacoma, as long as you're halfway smart about it.

I was in Vallarta earlier this year. About 6 months ago the governor of Jalisco got gunned down in a bar downtown. Id not count on touristvtowns being safe. Cartels don't GAF if your a live gringo or a dead gringo.

Ya I see Seattle and Tacoma are escalating.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Vacationing in Mexico is akin to owning a pitbull.

Everything is fine........until it isn't.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Ya I see Seattle and Tacoma are escalating.

If you're on the Facebook's, check out Tacompton Files.

Its freaking hilarious.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If Mexico is so wonderful why are they all trying to come here? I'd give it a miss.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
reminds me of the old OJ and AC joke.

as the cops were leading OJ away from the bronco in cuffs, he yells at AC, "Yo AC, i thought you said we wuz going to mexico??"

AC says "Nahh man, i said you is goin' to The Can Coon"

My diploma is a DD214
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by worriedman
In the 90's when I moved factories out of Ohio to Gomez Pelacio and to Hermasillo, we took training in what to do when kidnapped, the Co. carried $10 mil insurance on each of us. Learned to carry two months of medications and scrips, at that point kidnappers wanted you alive...

We no longer go there to work, I still get the STEP notifications, Smokies and Montana look good to me for vacations.

I did plant systems start ups from 2007-2016 in Saltillo and Torreon. By that time, kidnappers had moved on to a numbers game. Kidnap the the gringo. Ask for ransom. Wait 24 hours. If no ransom, whack the gringo. Find another. Rinse and repeat.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
So how much was his life insurance worth to her?

The circumstances seem pretty off. The only time my wife went back to our room without me was at a military reunion. Our room was just down the hall from the suite we were all in.

If it smells fishy it usually is.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by baldhunter

Best site I know of to get an idea of how bad it is down there. Our "news" doesn't scratch the surface of it. The site will post some truly gruesome photos and videos so think twice before watching them (they will typically post a warning for the worst ones).

The Cartels have tried to shut the site down. Many if not all of the reporters remain anonymous if they want to remain alive.

Last edited by Joezone; 07/26/21.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I had a great time in Mexico! Here I am in Tulum, 1991, drinking a cold beer. The "barroom" is a straw hut on the beach. Where else can you drink a beer with a parrot on your shoulder. They make good beer in Mexico.

Taking a snooze in the shade of a palm tree, laying in a hammock. They make great hammocks there in the Yucatan, you can buy one for $40. Honestly this place was a tropical paradise.

It is a short drive to see the Maya ruins at Chichen Itza. Fantastic that these Indians could build these pyramids, 1400 years ago. It is just incredible to climb to the top of this pyramid.

Taking a walk on the beach. Stars were fantastic at night. You could see the Southern Cross.

Thirty years ago this place was a tropical paradise. Today, I wouldn't go back if you paid my way and paid me a thousand dollars.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Americans need to help Mexicans by reducing demand for illicit drugs, otherwise what is in Mexico is going to find its way North across the border.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Leaving for Cozumel Saturday, I’ll let you all know if I don’t make it back.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco

Stay safe Buddy. Watch your Six !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

Just don’t try to pick up some strange in the hotel bar after your wife goes to bed.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Just don’t try to pick up some strange in the hotel bar after your wife goes to bed.

I can barely pick her up!!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
398 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 40 invisible), 2,087 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.