24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I took my largest whitetail with the 308... 200 lbs "dressed" weight.
I took my first Mule Deer with the 308.
I took my largest bull Elk (7x7) with the 308.
I've taken pronghorn and coyotes with the 308.
I like the 308.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
BP-B6

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Very cool picture Brad.
AI and the intent pursued ad nauseam. I rather like the 308 for what it is not.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smallfry
I rather like the 308 for what it is not.

That’s extremely well said…

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
For many years my elk rifle was a 30-06. About 4 or 5 years ago I switched to a 308win. Using the same ammo (fed premium factory loads of 180gr partitions) I've had no problems killing elk with the 308. Out to 300 or 325 yards, about the maximum distance I'll shoot, I can see zero difference between the two. Ymmv.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Brad
Once again, this thread reveals those who actually have used the 308 on a variety of game, and those who pontificate ballistic gack on the internet.

Yowsir!

Seems to work well on small stuff!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Weatherby Mk V SuperVarmintmaster

Merkel K3

150 Gr. Accubonds

Hill Country Wind Chimes courtesy of the 308 Win.

Sako 85 Bavarian Carbine

in the cool of the evening

Steyr Mountain Rifle

and late at night!

Armalite AR-10

What's not to like!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Killed a lot of deer with the 308, actually considered it overkill at times within the ranges i shoot deer here in the east. It’s not actually but it sure can put them down with authority. I currently don’t own one, a lot of guns come and go at my house so I’m sure there will be one in the future. My current kill everything east of the Mississippi rifle is a Remington 700 308 that JES made into a 358win( and here I said the 308 may be overkill at times). I don’t know why but I love that little thumper round. When I get west of the Mississippi I use a 30-06 for bigger animals, just a preference and since I handload I can really turn it into a Swiss Army knife of a round. Recoil to me is about the same and I can squeeze more power out of it. That gun is a lightweight husky I bought in the classifieds that I put into a custom stock I also found on the classifieds.

I’m finding as I get older I love the experience of the hunt more than the kill. The firearm is a part of that, I like a gun I’ve put some work into and has a story. Just like I like the experience of the actual hunt (miles hiked, stalks on animal, scenery and especially who I share the hunt with) more than pulling the trigger.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have three 308 rifles, love them all and all have a bunch of kills on them.

The AR-10 was just too much for me to carry around, so I went to a 300 HAMR (30-30 ballistics out of an AR-15), or a 6mm ARC (308 ballistics out to 600 yards or so out of an AR-15).

Mrs. Walter will be sporting the 6mm ARC for hunting this year. I may take the 300 HAMR just to bloody it.

I'm trying to talk her into a drive to Texas for a hog hunt.

Or closer, any recommendations? We're in the TriCities in south eastern WA State.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My two favorite hunting rifles at the moment both happen to be in .308win. Seems like I always have at least one on hand.

This one is a bit chunky, but that's part of why I like it. Makes it steady to hold and easy to hit with. Ruger M77 Hawkeye 22" with the 2-stage trigger. Leupold with LRD matches the 150gr NAB/NBT at 2,860fps. Shoots both bullets pretty much interchangeably. More or less a grab-it-and-go stainless sporter.

Handle is light for a laminate.

This one also gets used a lot, and I mention it a lot, just because I think it's such a well-executed concept. 20" small-frame AR-10 (DPMS/Rem GII). Likes the cheap Federal blue box 150's, which I found in stock again today. My favorite to tote when there's a lot of hog sign present. Very low recoil. VX-R 3-9 and a RRA 2-stage Varmint trigger. Rail-mounted green light.

Kiddo thought this was a "nice pig" until we walked up on it.

It's about two months until temps will drop enough to start chasing hogs again.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hahaha well it IS still a nice pig!

Nice rifles and looks like great hunting! What is the all-up weight on the Ruger, if you happen to know?

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was certainly worth a laugh.

That Ruger goes around 9lbs scoped, if I recall correctly. There's a lot of steel in the magnum-weight tube and the Ruger rings. We hunt private property around here, so there's not a lot of hiking involved, mainly short walks and long sits.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bet! Recognize the look on her face, I'd worn that one a few times too hahah

Oh, that's not bad at all. I see what you mean about it being steady offhand, too. If its balances well it must feel nice.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How'd you get the magnum contour on the Hawkeye 308?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Think its the model they called "Hawkeye Predator"?

Last edited by Igloo; 07/26/21.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Correct. It is the Hawkeye Predator, which has the magnum tube and the 2-stage trigger.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Guys, I've stayed OUT of this thread. I'm not a 308 fan. I had ONE, loaded - graphed - hunted - & killed with it.
I know what it can and can not do. I haven't had one in 35 + yrs and have not thot of getting another one.

I started reading this thread out of boredom. WISH I hadn't.
The following is beyond comprehension! ! !

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob

Exactly - the .30-06 is basically inferior to the ,308 - less efficient, worse shoulder, long action, and lower SAAMI max pressure. That's why .30-06 factory loads can consistently be duplicated int he .308 and then fired in a lighter, handier rifle.

cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

sick sick sick nauseated.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It takes all kinds to make a world? lol.

Someone wiser than I once told me that a 308 lies in every 30-06, but the same cannot be said in reverse.

They're close enough for my purposes and it is my preference, but to call the '08 better is....something.

Last edited by Igloo; 07/26/21.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
It's reliable - the most sensitive girls in the hunting world are enamored of the .30-06 and get all in a twist when the fact that it's an inferior cartridge is pointed out laugh

.308 AI - excellent cartridge design
.308 - acceptable cartridge design
.30-06 - drooling moron cartridge design (both for military and hunting)

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 07/26/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What's so moronic about a case with 56 grains of 4350 and a 180 grain bullet in it? And it ain't even my fav cartridge. And as far as the military goes, its not like the caliber of a bayonet handle made all that much impact in the wars that were fought. Coulda been 8mm Mauser, 7mm Mauser, 7.62x54R etc and been six of one, half dozen of the other. Not like anyone was doing anything all that different.

This amount of investment/vitriol over a cartridge seems strange.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Igloo

Someone wiser than I once told me that a 308 lies in every 30-06, but the same cannot be said in reverse.

Yes, I've joked with friends saying there is a 25-06 in every 270. grin, lol

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Igloo
What's so moronic about a case with 56 grains of 4350 and a 180 grain bullet in it?

From a military perspective, the problem with the .30-06 is that the bore was too big and the case/OAL was too big. This was based on a combination of a mistaken belief in a need to stop cavalry charges and a mistaken belief that indirect fire from small arms was useful. The result was a cartridge that consumed at least 50% more resources than it should have to do a worse job than it could have. Interestingly both the Navy and the arsenal had clearly seen where things were going with the 6mm Navy and .276 Pedersen,. but the Army was stuck in the mud and got their way by sheer bull-headed stupidity.

From a hunting perspective, there are several problems:
- an inefficient shoulder and taper designed for machine gun use that increases recoil,. reduces velocity, and reduces case capacity
- an overly-small diameter that gives unneeded magazine capacity in trade for loss of case capacity
- an overly long case and overall length adding weight to both actions and barrels with no benefit
- a low MAP caused by weak rifles and excessive taper

Take that all together, and it's hard to imagine what a WORSE hunting cartridge of the same general case capacity and bore diameter would look like. I guess you could take a .30-06 and add an unnecessary belt and make it a little [bleep], but only a little.

The .308 is a better hunting round - better shoulder, better taper, shortened, better MAP. The .308 AI is a step better, improving the shoulder further, and the .300 WSM better still - finally fixing the case diameter problem.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
710 members (11point, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 91 invisible), 2,744 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.