Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Was up north this weekend and realized how much I missed bowhunting.

When I was a kid - was almost a religion to me. Hunted with my Darton Trailmaster every chance I could. Went from that to a Matthews SQ2. Got out of it for a while and then went to the Reflex (Hoyt bargain brand). That was forever ago.

Used to be Hoyt and Matthews were the top 2 dogs. Still the case?

What's the hot bow these days? Not 2021 but 2020 edition - save a little cash rather than paying for "bold new camouflage' and marketing campaign.

Me

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Latest and greatest is big money these days and if you want to play that game every one or two years its gonna cost even more ( depreciation ).

Todays mid level bows are pretty sweet.

For the avg hunter of decent skill, I dunno if top end gear justifies the cost.

Hell, even for the really good shooters....I dunno.

If the Hoyt Torrex had metal limb pockets Id proly go for one even if the riser isnt billet. I shoot fine but not enough to justify the expense. Proly dont need to justify a diff limb pocket material either LOL.

Buy having shot for a while one can get kinda picky, justified and not justified.

Last edited by hookeye; 07/26/21.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

Originally Posted by Teal
Not 2021 but 2020 edition - save a little cash rather than paying for "bold new camouflage' and marketing campaign.

There's a lot of good bows out there - Hoyt, Mathews, Xpedition are in the top of of most ratings - Bear, PSE, Prime are there as well, YMMV.

I'd look back as far as the 2015 models - there hasn't really been a major tech jump in the last five years - IMHO.

My Mathews No-Cam HTR is not as fast as today's line-up, but it's killed what I've shot at, stays in tune, and has been a great performer.

I picked a Mathews Halon 32 this year - used, cheap, in great shape and while I like it - it doesn't kill anything deader than the HTR.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Troll Archerytalk.com
Lots of used hunting bows listed in the classifieds. The parallel limb bows of recent years are a real nice rig.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by AH64guy

Not 2021 but 2020 edition - save a little cash rather than paying for "bold new camouflage' and marketing campaign.

There's a lot of good bows out there - Hoyt, Mathews, Xpedition are in the top of of most ratings - Bear, PSE, Prime are there as well, YMMV.

I'd look back as far as the 2015 models - there hasn't really been a major tech jump in the last five years - IMHO.

My Mathews No-Cam HTR is not as fast as today's line-up, but it's killed what I've shot at, stays in tune, and has been a great performer.

I picked a Mathews Halon 32 this year - used, cheap, in great shape and while I like it - it doesn't kill anything deader than the HTR.

Your No Cam is also smooth. And a little spongy at start of draw....which is IMHO more pleasant to my old bones.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you can, shoot a few different brands / styles of bow to find what feels comfortable to you. There are smooth drawing bows all the way up to harsh drawing performance bows and everything inbetween. Find what you like. Join Archerytalk, do some reading and ask questions. Dont let people like Sharp_things "limb_bender" on Archerytalk, discourage you from asking questions. From there, Id watch the classifieds and get a used year or two old bow off the classifieds. Those guys buy and sell a lot of bows. Archerytalk also has brand specific sub-forums to research deeper into the bow(s) you like.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shoot everything you can get your hands on before you decide. Currently shooting a Bowtech but Mathews puts out a great bow still. Hoyt isn't for me but can't knock the quality.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Shoot everything you can get your hands on before you decide. Currently shooting a Bowtech but Mathews puts out a great bow still. Hoyt isn't for me but can't knock the quality.

I agree!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
In my opinion, Mathews and Hoyt are still top shelf. But there are other brands that are quite good.
Couple suggestions, go to a pro shop and shoot new and/or used bows and pick one that feels best to you.
Secondly, bows these days are a lot more efficient than years ago, so real high draw weight is not necessary for any game in North America. A 60 pound peak draw weight will do it all.
Good luck.

NRA Patron
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm doing the same thing. Except I never sold my Matthews. laugh I still have it. It still shoots the same. It's not as fast as my sons new Diamond Pro...but I don't think the deer will care.

I have my set at the 60# max with 100gr tips/broadheads and I'm still shooting 260 fps. I'll take it.

Haven't bowhunted in 6-7 years but I do miss it. Looking forward to it when the weather and fishing cools off a bit here.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Not shot it much but am not displeased w my Hoyt Torrex.
Maybe overpriced for what it is.

Mine is set at 58# and 28" DL.
Arrows are 500 gr.
I dont think it a speed demon compared to other compounds

Itll kill deer fine.

Last edited by hookeye; 09/08/21.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I bought a bear species ld $ 499. I put an ez sight on it. With a big peep and this new sight I can shoot a compound bow again. I was using a crossbow. I know there are a lot of good crossbows out there. It seems around here they are all the rage. To me they carry like a club. Good luck on your adventure.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Teal, you can hardly go wrong with a decent bow. If you want a good bow for reasonable, a Mission bow is very good . Many say it's a "good " bow for the price. Not true, they are just good bows. I had one for 7 yrs. Two yrs ago I got a Mathews Avail. The reason was, cause I went from 232 fps at 56 lbs with my Mission to 252 fps @ 52 lbs. That might not sound like much , but that 4 lbs when I am half frozen in a treestand makes the different between being able to pull the arrow back and not. My rotator cuffs are so shot , that I shot 6 arrows about 1 hr. ago and after the 6 th shot I stopped cause I could feel the rotator cuffs getting a weird feeling. I did shoot 6 arrows in 3" @ 23 yds. however. Noew bows dont take that much practice, they really are forgiving. Tell us what ya get. PS, I am heading to your neck of the woods this weekend . Rapid River babay ,Big Bay De Noc might give up some big northerns for us.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I think I'm going to run my old Reflex another year - making some other changes in life right now, don't want to cough up the $$ for a new bow just yet. (Paid off my car 3 years early, I smell a massive correction coming - economically, I want to be ahead of it)

I remember looking at my Darton Trailmaster and thinking 180 fps was blistering - I'll be okay this year with the Reflex.

Good luck out of Rapid River - if you can, stop in at Rapid River Knife Works on 2 there. Great store, spent a ton of time there just looking at knives, talking and poking around at what they have. I always thought Little Bay de Noc had the capability of giving up a near record northern but then the walleye tour found it and the traffic went through the roof. Same now for small mouth fishing - lots of people.

Me

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Speed costs money, and other stuff.
Like how comfortable the draw is.
It aint just the poundage, its also how you get there.
Some bows at 60# hurt me when others at 70# are comfortable.

So definitely try before you buy.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
I bought a bear species ld $ 499. I put an ez sight on it. With a big peep and this new sight I can shoot a compound bow again. I was using a crossbow. I know there are a lot of good crossbows out there. It seems around here they are all the rage. To me they carry like a club. Good luck on your adventure.

Theyve damn near killed the vertical bow market.
Buy one w adj stock and everybody in the fam can use it.
My town was a hotbed for IBO winners.
Now we dont even have a pro shop.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Lots of good bows these days. Mathews and Hoyt are certainly top rung, there may be others on the top rung as well.
Shoot as many as you can and pick what fits/feels right for you.

NRA Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I quite bow hunting in the 1970's as I moved to a state that required a choice of bow or rifle and my wifes family were all rifle hunters and it was a major family outing, everyone took off of work and spent 10days camping up in the woods. I divorce years putting together a grubstake for retirement and really getting into predator hunting. I got back in the game bow fishing to start and now looking a coyote hunting with a bow plus a Javelina hunt with a bow this year.

I started with a recurve bowfishing and advanced to Oneida powered Muzzy LVX for bowfishing. I got the itch to hunt with a bow and picked up a cheap compound and learned a lot of what I really needed. I went to a good bow shop and they set me up with a inexpensive bow that hit all my needs. A Diamond Infinite Edge Pro. I'm rather short and only have a 26" draw and I wanted something to kill smaller game(coyotes, jackrabbits and javelina) 45# is more than enough and it is easy to draw and hold.. It has been a fun journey, I built a 20 yard range in the back yard and try to shoot 100 arrows a week. For longer ranges I head out to the city park that has an archery range but you have to bring your own target.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

It was pretty much wasted space in the yard, right behind me is a little 10' long leanto that I use for a fur shed and doublles as a covered shooting station.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by erich; 09/10/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Cool to take a wasted space and make it useful

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I stopped chasing the fastest new compound and went to a longbow/recurve. I’m having more fun than ever and the bows are never “old technology” because they are all old technology

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
You can go with ILF, carbon limbs and diff profiles on recurves....heck even performancd strings.....there is new tech if you want it.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Im still thinking Uukha limbs on a metal ILF riser for 3D
smile

But yeah,.I still dig my old Blackwidow HS from '91.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FYI : There was a guy selling lightweight Uukha's on AT the other day. He had 36#, 34# and 30# all Medium limbs if I remember correctly. Good price a $265. These were the older Ex1 Evo 2's that the new SX50's replaced. I bought the 30#'ers. I'm going to put them on my Samick Discovery riser, should make 36-38# and be a lot of fun.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Thanks for the heads up.
But I dont do AT.
Am only on Tradtalk as far as archery goes.

Was thinking shorts on a 17 riser. Like a 58" bow for hunting or 3D. Could go 60" for target, maybe longer.....but to me bowhunting is first and any bow I have has to fit that role, even if just in form.

So im sold.... Or stuck.....at 58" max.

Have had 60 to 62" and just dont like em.

BTW a strung 58" lays in the backseat without hitting doors. Just a perk i guess wink

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yeah i almost snagged an open box set of Evo 2s off Lancaster a while back.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by AH64guy

I picked up a used HTR a few years ago on ebay! I probably paid too much for it , but it is a sweet shooting bow and at pert near 63 is as much bow as I will ever need and it is more accurate than I am! I have no complaints!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I am not an elite archery guru but I think everyone is making a good bow right now.

I've always shot price point bows until picking up a PSE EVO NXT 33 this year, which I am quite happy with. As far as saving a little cash, I am of the opinion that most of the mid-range stuff these days is good enough that I would hunt with about any one of them, and give up nothing to my current setup.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Used to buy top end stuff regularly.
Esp when shooting 3D.
Gave up on a new bow every year even for hunting a while back.

Think my Hoyt Torrex and Blackwidow PSA2 will be my last purchases ( both bought this yr ).

Maybe an ILF target rig of some sort, mid level. Depends on how shoulder does.

For hunting? Im done buying bows.

Last edited by hookeye; 10/11/21.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

190 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 28 invisible), 2,070 guests, and 1,089 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,100
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.