24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Have wanted a 1911 for some time now. No reason, other than I wanted it. When the local gun store finally got them in, decided it was time to pull the trigger per se. Went with the US Army version, which is supposedly the same as the WWII version. I am not a big pistol shooter so probably no vital insights in my review but did want to let folks know how I found it. Cleaned it up and put a full clip in. Would not load the first round. For some reason jamming up on the feed ramp. Tried it 3 times with the same results. Tried with just 6 in the mag and it worked like a charm. Loaded the rest of a 50 round box with 7 each and it worked like a charm. Hopefully will continue to do so. Gun is nice and tight and everything works as advertised. Used Blaser ammo, as that is what was available. It fits my hand well (better than my Beretta 92F) and recoil was noticeable but not bad. Easy to hold and aim and shoots groups just about the same as I do with the Beretta. Only issue, if you want to call it that, was the sights. Later and better sights are readily available but one of the charms of the gun for me, was it being an exact copy of the old army issue. Have no plans to change the sights and will be happy with it just as is. Probably run a few hundred rounds through it in the next few months and then it will live in the safe with my other pistols. Old eyes and shaky hands just do not allow the small groups I used to shoot, so do not do much with pistols any more. Will say, I am as happy with this gun as any I have bought in a long time. Would highly recommend for anyone looking for a cheap, decent 45.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Glad you like it. smile

Now... Try a quality magazine. Might be your feeding problems go away.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Glad you like it. smile

Yep. Run a Chip McCormick magazine in mine.

They are a great “original specs” type GI 1911

Great fit and finish and an outstanding value for the money.
Several other Campfire Members here have reported excellent functionality and good accuracy with them too. Only thing I’ve changed on mine is the grips.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Will look into it, if I have the problem again. For now, it seems good to go.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Glad you like it. smile

Well, it is a Turkish 1911, but I agree that a quality magazine would help mightily. I highly recommend Chip McCormick Power Mags.

Last edited by High_Noon; 07/24/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by travelingman1
Have wanted a 1911 for some time now. No reason, other than I wanted it. When the local gun store finally got them in, decided it was time to pull the trigger per se. Went with the US Army version, which is supposedly the same as the WWII version. I am not a big pistol shooter so probably no vital insights in my review but did want to let folks know how I found it. Cleaned it up and put a full clip in. Would not load the first round. For some reason jamming up on the feed ramp. Tried it 3 times with the same results. Tried with just 6 in the mag and it worked like a charm. Loaded the rest of a 50 round box with 7 each and it worked like a charm. Hopefully will continue to do so. Gun is nice and tight and everything works as advertised. Used Blaser ammo, as that is what was available. It fits my hand well (better than my Beretta 92F) and recoil was noticeable but not bad. Easy to hold and aim and shoots groups just about the same as I do with the Beretta. Only issue, if you want to call it that, was the sights. Later and better sights are readily available but one of the charms of the gun for me, was it being an exact copy of the old army issue. Have no plans to change the sights and will be happy with it just as is. Probably run a few hundred rounds through it in the next few months and then it will live in the safe with my other pistols. Old eyes and shaky hands just do not allow the small groups I used to shoot, so do not do much with pistols any more. Will say, I am as happy with this gun as any I have bought in a long time. Would highly recommend for anyone looking for a cheap, decent 45.
Congrats. I like mine, too. They are indeed pretty close to the originals.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I wish to help. Here is another option from company called Wilson Combat which also makes firearms which in my estimate is a big plus.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Model 47D.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats on the 1911 !

Ditto on Wilson, McCormick, Tripp research, Magazines. There are other quality mags out there but those 3 are in the catbird seat.
If the Blaser ammo was that horrible aluminum case crap I'm surprised it ran that well. If the brass case then that's ok ammo.

I remember reading where it takes 500 plus rounds to break in a 1911. I used to think that was overkill, but not any more. A few pistols need that many rounds to loosen up to a point it starts to show a problem that's developing or for a flawed metal part to break.

Good luck and enjoy your new pistol !

Last edited by 1911a1; 07/24/21.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Never had a McCormick, but run Wilson’s. Nary a problem.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got both, neither have had a malfunction.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Blaser was the brass case and ran like a champ. When ammo frees up, will try some others.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Heard good things about Tisas . Seen a local shop had a Tisas 4" stainless, I set out on mission, but gun was already sold when I got there . But did pick up a very lightly used Rock Island Armory 1911-A1 FS tact II. Shot this some last night, does perfect. Trigger even quite good 4 1/2 pounds .
Still may try to find a Tisas for a good comparison.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Polish the feed ramp and use good Mags like Wilson Combat or McCormick.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DMc
Never had a McCormick, but run Wilson’s. Nary a problem.

They both work well in my 1911’s, David. I used both for years in Competition.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Wilson and CMC is all I run

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Where are they available at a reasonable price now?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by longarm

A couple of years ago, they were amazingly cheap (I got mine for $300.00), but now I think the best deal you could get is in the middle four hundreds.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by longarm

A couple of years ago, they were amazingly cheap (I got mine for $300.00), but now I think the best deal you could get is in the middle four hundreds.

I saw CDNNSports advertising them a while back.
I think they were $459. ! 😬

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
678 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 72 invisible), 2,763 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,647
Posts18,399,078
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.