-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A while back, someone had posted about the movie “A Bridge Too Far”. It’s based on the book by the same name, written by Cornelius Ryan.
Ryan also wrote “The Longest Day” about the Normandy Invasion, which resulted in the star studded 1964 Film by the same title.
Both books are favorites of mine as are both movies.
This video examines what the film got right, as well as where they missed the mark or exaggerated some stories. It’s 38 minutes, but pretty well worth it, with good information about the film and the battle itself.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Not to hijack,

They were good movies.

I watching Dunkirk for the first time. That must have been hell.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Sir Anthony Hopkins at his very best.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would watch the vid but I'm sure it will reference Monty.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I will watch that tomorrow. Might have been historically inaccurate but it was a great movie.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The music of the film was composed by one the the Brit airborne guys, so that part of the spirit of the thing is accurate.
In the "Longest Day" Richard Todd played the commander of the outfit he was in, the one that took the Pegasus Bridge.

Last edited by 5thShock; 07/25/21. Reason: post script
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the link. Brung about a couple of hours of googling fer me. Looking up who this or that guy was...

Most German Generals survived the war, which is more than can be said for the landser they commanded.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had an Uncle, Sgt Lloyd Flint 82d Airborne killed there at Nijmegen Bridge. He had been wounded by machine gun fire on D Day and recovered in time for Market Garden where a grenade got him. Right after the war some of the guys in his unit came by our house about an hour or so fro Ft Bragg where my aunt was staying at the time and brought some of his things to her. I was only three years old so don't really remember it but one thing she got which she gave to me was a big book with a lot of photography about the 82d and their campaigns from North Africa till the end of the war. Cool book still got it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by viking
Not to hijack,

They were good movies.

I watching Dunkirk for the first time. That must have been hell.

Had a neighbor in England, who was from Scotland... he was captured at Dunkirk, after running back to help a friend who had gotten hit...

he helped some other guys, pull a wounded man, behind a structure, out of the way of machine gun fire...

all of them except Tom turned out to be Germans...

He spent the war in 15 POW camps, and escaped 6 or 7 times from 1940 to 1945, but was captured each time...

TOM was one of the 70 something guys to make it out of the camp the Great Escape was made into a movie about.

Tom was one of the few they brought back alive.... he was used as a consultant when they made the movie...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Had an Uncle, Sgt Lloyd Flint 82d Airborne killed there at Nijmegen Bridge. He had been wounded by machine gun fire on D Day and recovered in time for Market Garden where a grenade got him. Right after the war some of the guys in his unit came by our house about an hour or so fro Ft Bragg where my aunt was staying at the time and brought some of his things to her. I was only three years old so don't really remember it but one thing she got which she gave to me was a big book with a lot of photography about the 82d and their campaigns from North Africa till the end of the war. Cool book still got it.

Was it him?

https://de.findagrave.com/memorial/3273695/lloyd-a-flint

Elmer Keith
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Was it him?

https://de.findagrave.com/memorial/3273695/lloyd-a-flint

Elmer Keith
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That was him. Thank you. My aunt had that bottom picture of him in a frame on a living room table.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

My great uncle was a Sgt in F Company 2/504 PIR for Market Garden. He was killed the first part of October somewhere around Nijmegen.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When you think of all the actual combat the 82d saw: North Africa, Sicily, Italy, D Day, Market Garden, Battle Of The Bulge, You wonder what % of them that were involved in all of those campaigns survived the war.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yeah the 82nd was definitely involved in a lot of action. As far as I can tell he made it to the unit just prior to the Italy campaign, but I never got a chance to ask my grandmother whether he had been involved in that or not. I finally saw some of his service paperwork after she died.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,548 guests, and 708 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,536
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.