Campfire Ranger
H
The Taurus 92 auto and 66 revolver had decent reputations

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I have never owned a Taurus, and have never shot a semi auto Taurus. The one Taurus I have shot was a K-frame S&W wannabe. It was a clunky thing that wouldn't impress me at all. If the semi auto is of similar craftsmanship I'd pass it by. I saw one Taurus I would have bought in a heartbeat but as a Canadian citizen I couldn't buy guns in Michigan. It was a PT-1911 in 45ACP. Solid as a rock.

Someone mentioned a CZ-75 of some iteration. I have owned one of the original CZ-75 before they had the 75B and the rest. That thing shoots like a laser guided missile -- cast or jacketed bullets -- of various weights. The trigger --- like every CZ firearm I have ever shot -- is amazing. My brother has one and my daughter and son in law each have one. If I could go armed,it would be my choice. SIG makes good concealed carry pistols P238 was a good one. It is my BIL's constant companion, but that may be a 380.

Spend some money. What is the value of your wife and kids?

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
A few years ago I was asked to come instruct a group of Brazilian gentleman in the martial use of weapons/fine tuning their skill sets. Long story short, they came from all over Brazil. The class ended up being a little smaller than anticipated due to some of the people on the roster being killed in the line of duty in the short time between signing up and attending the train-up. Still it was a full class, and they were very eager students and outstanding men.

A number of the men attending the training were from their federal GOE (Grupo de Operaçoes Especiais), which was the equivalent of our FBI HRT (Hostage Rescue Team). Their primary job was hostage rescue and counter terrorism. They have a massive problem with terrorism/narco-terrorism in Brazil. They were very busy guys to say the least. Brazil is not some tiny little third world craphole. They have over 200 Million people in their country and the GOE guys were well trained, professionals who took their job seriously.

In talking with them, they were getting into shootings more often than many of our front line units were during the peak of the Iraq conflict (at the time).

Naturally the topic of guns came up. The short version is that they have an extremely hard time getting weapons there. Most are indifferent, like most professionals are, as long as it goes bang every single time. Many use Taurus handguns. That was where the problem was. Many absolutely hated Taurus handguns. Almost everybody coveted an HK, Glock, or Sig. I would say that 90+% wanted a Glock.

Many thought a genuine Colt 1911 .45 was the coolest thing on the planet. smile

We were using G17s for the training and guys were trying to buy them, which was not a legal possibility.

They stated that they had major issues with their guns, did not trust them to work properly, and if they were turned in, they may not get one back. This was a few years ago, when in the states a box of 9mm was still around $12 per 50. They stated that they were paying $1 per round for 9mm and lucky to get it.

So when people say " what do the the military and police carry in Brazil?" you might want to ask if the person has any first hand experience in dealing with the Brazilian military and police.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Short version is that even Brazilians don't like Taurus products..

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
CZ makes a high quality pistol that is also a ‘bargain’. I suppose it’s all relative, but I think there’s a ton of value in that brand. Wouldn’t even look at a Taurus.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Some Taurus’s work great. Some don’t. You’re paying more for better chance of reliability.

Taurus triggers usually stink.

Look, you can buy a Taurus, maybe save $100-$200, and if you get a GOOD one, you got a “deal”.

If you get a “bad” one, you waste ammo and half a day packaging it up to get it “fixed”, or you lose money trading it off.

Your money, your choice....

Yep. Not something I want to bet my life on.
Buy a Sig P365. Be done with it.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
A few years ago I was asked to come instruct a group of Brazilian gentleman in the martial use of weapons/fine tuning their skill sets. Long story short, they came from all over Brazil. The class ended up being a little smaller than anticipated due to some of the people on the roster being killed in the line of duty in the short time between signing up and attending the train-up. Still it was a full class, and they were very eager students and outstanding men.

A number of the men attending the training were from their federal GOE (Grupo de Operaçoes Especiais), which was the equivalent of our FBI HRT (Hostage Rescue Team). Their primary job was hostage rescue and counter terrorism. They have a massive problem with terrorism/narco-terrorism in Brazil. They were very busy guys to say the least. Brazil is not some tiny little third world craphole. They have over 200 Million people in their country and the GOE guys were well trained, professionals who took their job seriously.

In talking with them, they were getting into shootings more often than many of our front line units were during the peak of the Iraq conflict (at the time).

Naturally the topic of guns came up. The short version is that they have an extremely hard time getting weapons there. Most are indifferent, like most professionals are, as long as it goes bang every single time. Many use Taurus handguns. That was where the problem was. Many absolutely hated Taurus handguns. Almost everybody coveted an HK, Glock, or Sig. I would say that 90+% wanted a Glock.

Many thought a genuine Colt 1911 .45 was the coolest thing on the planet. smile

We were using G17s for the training and guys were trying to buy them, which was not a legal possibility.

They stated that they had major issues with their guns, did not trust them to work properly, and if they were turned in, they may not get one back. This was a few years ago, when in the states a box of 9mm was still around $12 per 50. They stated that they were paying $1 per round for 9mm and lucky to get it.

So when people say " what do the the military and police carry in Brazil?" you might want to ask if the person has any first hand experience in dealing with the Brazilian military and police.

Short version is that even Brazilians don't like Taurus products..

Mac Sagebrush, keeping it real since 2007.

#theanswerisusuallyglock

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by bcp
Are Taurus pistols used by Brazilian police or military? By other South American-Central American police or military?

Bruce

What is the point you are trying to make Bruce?

No point. Someone mentioned no organization used Taurus pistols. I'm guessing that means in the USA. I was wondering about South American organizations.

Bruce

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Mr. BB a dik head like you is hardly what anyone would call an expert. Oh wait you're certainly an expert doosh bag.

Take it easy , Capt. Retard . We don’t want you stroking out at 3500 rpm

LMAO

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Mackay, 7th?

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Nope,

Contract.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hickok45 Reviews the G2C

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

never had a Taurus semi...

One 44 special in a 2" ported snub

Rather spend money on SA...FN...H&K

9mm XD Elite shown...

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I’m a fan of the Ruger LC 9. You wouldn’t thing a single stack vs a double stack 9mm mag design would make much of a difference but for me it does. I suppose I should look at a Glock 43.

I had a Taurus G2, no malfunctions over the short time I had it. IIRC I replaced the polymer guide rod/captive spring assembly with an aftermarket steel one.

The Sig P365 is da bomb, but again for me it’s a tad wide and hefty, especially the ambidextrous safety version.

I do like the takedown protocol on the Sig, one of the few designs where you don’t have to pull the trigger first. The Ruger LC9 actually has a little pin that comes out, little and easy to misplace or drop.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do not see any problem buying this gun if person just wants affordable easy to carry defensive pistol. Assuming two magazines about 50 rounds per mag with JHP ammo of choice and one should be ready to carry it. If one is looking for something to be shot thousands of times they make different guns for that.
My friend bought a used Glock at place where they also had indoor range. He had employee test fire with few rounds per magazine and bought the gun and rest of the ammo in the box. Being Gen 3 Glock in top shape this was deemed ready to carry. Later practice proved initial assertion correct, no malfunctions of any kind. That is why I recommend used G26 Gen 3 to new gun buyers who are not interested in extensive testing before putting piece to intended use. This really save time and ammo and to some time is very expensive proposition. Lot of times one can find second hand Glock in excellent shape with quality sights installed for less then a new one, wonderful.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Slavek
I do not see any problem buying this gun if person just wants affordable easy to carry defensive pistol. Assuming two magazines about 50 rounds per mag with JHP ammo of choice and one should be ready to carry it. If one is looking for something to be shot thousands of times they make different guns for that.
My friend bought a used Glock at place where they also had indoor range. He had employee test fire with few rounds per magazine and bought the gun and rest of the ammo in the box. Being Gen 3 Glock in top shape this was deemed ready to carry. Later practice proved initial assertion correct, no malfunctions of any kind.

#ComedyGold

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Not read all the replies for me personally the triggers are terrible that's my biggest issue with them not a lot of experience with them though , but I have shot at few

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Originally Posted by Slavek
My friend bought a used Glock at place where they also had indoor range. He had employee test fire with few rounds per magazine and bought the gun and rest of the ammo in the box. Being Gen 3 Glock in top shape this was deemed ready to carry. Later practice proved initial assertion correct, no malfunctions of any kind.

#ComedyGold

Yes, the main purpose of Hunters Campfire portion of this site is to provide entertainment to readers. This is why I come and post here.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Glock 43x and 48.
The Gen 5,s are 👍👍👍👍👍
Been looking at em for back pocket blue jean pistol.

Commonality, parts availability, and strong reliability history.

Have owned alot of pistols.
Have sold alot of pistols
Have had 5 different glock models.
I always seem to come back to glock.

They dont fail.
With the Gen 5 features and upgrades they have apexed, but their is always more to come.
Best striker fired pistol I have ever had.
It points natrual, shoots accurately ( which is the most importatnt thing to me) and is a proven reliable design.
I doubt I send my G17 gen5 down the road.

Too each their own.....

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have been shooting the CZ 75Dpcr for 17 years now, and can't find a single thing wrong with it. Same size, maybe thinner, than the Sig P365x, but I think a better pistol.

The gun that Mannlicher is showing is an aluminum framed, compact version of the CZ 75. That design is one of the most well proven designs ever fielded and found throughout the world. CZs tend to be a bit less expensive (sometimes, depending on the model) than their respective counterparts.

A quick look at Gunbroker shows that you can get a CZ P10, P09, or a P07, each with a price of less than $500. There are also a number of used CZ-75s on there in the same price range. Buying CZ that has a worldwide reputation for producing superbly reliable pistols (and other arms) makes a lot more sense than buying a Taurus, which has a very well deserved reputation for questionable reliability, and poorly designed products. I personally won't play the Taurus lottery.

CZs on the other hand are very well built guns.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by renegade50
Glock 43x and 48.
The Gen 5,s are 👍👍👍👍👍
Been looking at em for back pocket blue jean pistol.

Commonality, parts availability, and strong reliability history.

Have owned alot of pistols.
Have sold alot of pistols
Have had 5 different glock models.
I always seem to come back to glock.

They dont fail.
With the Gen 5 features and upgrades they have apexed, but their is always more to come.
Best striker fired pistol I have ever had.
It points natrual, shoots accurately ( which is the most importatnt thing to me) and is a proven reliable design.
I doubt I send my G17 gen5 down the road.

Too each their own.....

Unless one really needs left hand controls I would not worry about getting G5 instead of one of the previous generations. This is especially true for subcompacts which always had dual recoil spring assembly. Unless one is going to shoot lot of "spicy" .40S&W ammo (Buffalo Bore, Doubletap, Underwood come to mind) heaver slide of Gen 5 .40 is not really necessary.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,635
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.