M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by hookeye
I had two Jeep XJ, two ZJ and one WJ.
4wd station wagons IMHO

you know the original wagoneers and cherokees were classified by DOT as station wagons...
long after essuvees had been invented I had a police officer ask me why my registration said it was a station wagon...
I guess he didn't realize that the essuvee was johnny come lately to the four door 4x4 game...

what were Broncos and k5s registered as?
I do t recall them having the same first two tag digits the way ford and chevy (each their own unique two digits) pick-ups did...

In Connecticut you could register a Blazer or Bronco as a car. I did with mine anyway.

Last edited by Mike_S; 07/27/21.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Station wagons are frowned on and considered not cool yet today they're everywhere, except they aren't called that any more. People will gladly drive a crossover or SUV but wouldn't be seen in a 'station wagon'.

[Linked Image from toyota.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’d feel much more shamed if my first car was a mini-van.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Actually I have a mini-van. It's an '04 Pontiac Montana. I bought it from my mother in '07 when she gave up her car keys. It's been a great little car. I use it now as a runabout to save miles on our pickup and newer car, which happens to be a Toyota Highlander 'station wagon'.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
minivans are fine. i've had a honda for about 10 years and can't bear to get rid of it. it runs great, gets good gas mileage and can haul a ton of stuff. it has a lot of get-up-and-go too. i've hauled deer, plywood, furniture, drunken friends, you name it. only thing i've had to do to it is cv joint and usual brakes and tires, etc. kids all learned to drive on it and hate it naturally but guess what they borrow when their vehicles are in the shop? i'll run that fugger until it dies.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
1958 Chevy 283 with three speed and OD. 1962 Ford Falcon. 1964 Jeep Wagoneer, 1966 Jeep Wagoneer, 76 Subaru, Ford Explorer. Favorite? The 66 Wagoneer. GD

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
I’d feel much more shamed if my first car was a mini-van.

The minivan is today’s station wagon

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd take a station wagon over a SUV anytime. There are still lots on the road but most tend to be higher end cars incl BWW, VW, Volvo, Benz. Subaru used to make them but have switched over to a more SUV design. I wish Toyota would make a Corolla wagon for those who don't need a status car. I'd buy one.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I never had a station wagon. One of my father’s brothers always had Dodge or Plymouth wagons. (He had ten kids.) I remember my father borrowed his brother’s car once…my brother and I thought it was really cool, riding in the rear-facing back seat.

I drove back from Florida with my uncle once, from my grandmother’s, right before I left for boot camp. The rear of the station wagon was loaded with crates of citrus. I took over driving when we crossed into Georgia at about 10:00 PM. It was all 2 lanes then, pre interstate days. There was little or no traffic and the road was straight. My uncle fell asleep and I wound that wagon up to about 100 mph. With all that citrus in the back, the front end just sort of floated… oversteer? You bet. When my uncle woke up he was amazed at how many miles we’d covered.

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Got thru College with VW Squarebacks... all bought for $50 with a blow motor.... junk yard motor with 10 to 20K on them for $100. 10 minutes to install it..
drove those things to high miles. sold them for $250 and do it all over again.... after college, bought a 68 Volvo Wagon, had that when I was in the Army, out in Washington.... then bought a used 75 Volvo Wagon in 78....then an 83 Volvo Wagon for the wife and the kids, and bought me an 84 Volvo Wagon new.., wore the body out in MN salt roads after 11 years.... bought a used 84 Volvo here in Oregon, and then an 85 Diesel Wagon... that was my last Volvo..

Last new car I ever bought, my 88 Toyota 4 Runner.... still have that 585,000 miles on it...

Replaced my 93 Camry with a 2006 Pilot in 2014... That will roll over 300,000 on it this week...like 200 miles to go..

I've had some sort of Station Wagon since 1972... Hey they are functional....

Does that make me a good guy? I doubt it.... Does it make me a Cheap Ass? Most definitely...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was about 14 (1966) My older Brother had a '49 ford "woody" wagon.

Man, I bet that car would be worth a big pile of money now days!

Virgil B.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does Cadillac still make the CTS-V in a station wagon?

Who wouldn't want a Corvette motor in a station wagon?

I wouldn't mind a station wagon at all but my wife throws a fit about it. I have owned 2 mini-vans (one was AWD so not completely lame). Parents never had one growing up. We were a pickup truck family

I always liked those Volvo's Cross Country's. They make a slick modern version but this is the style that I wanted
[Linked Image from autotraderau-res.cloudinary.com]

2015 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon -556HP, $58K used in 2017

[Linked Image from sportscarmarket.com]

Last edited by KFWA; 07/27/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My parents bought a 63 ford falcon station wagon. I remember family camping trips in it when I was pretty young.

A
AML Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Dad had a Ford Country Squire--65 I think. He replaced it with a 72 Chevelle Concours. It was a great date car. Mom asked me once why I put a pillow and a blanket in the back and I didn't have an answer. Dad told her it was in case I broke down and she commended me for being prepared.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Joe Dirt’s parents were in a Rambler wagon when they ditched him at the Grand Canyon.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Folks had a 1966 Plymouth Belvedere s/w. No ac, no radio, no power steering; but Dad did condescend to get an automatic transmission. I hated that thing. I didn't date in high school because I was embarrassed to have to drive it (I spent my summer tobacco field money on a 20 gauge Ithaca/SKB shotgun instead of putting it towards my own car; I had my priorities straight, even as a young whippersnapper.) My Dad and I would put the canoe in the back of the Belvedere and go fishing or duck hunting. Sweltered going fishing, froze going hunting. But at least after school I could load up the setter and the SKB and head out of town to do battle with the quail. Mom was good about getting her shopping done in the mornings so I could take the wagon in the afternoons.

After marriage (yeah, I finally got around to dating a little) we had a little Datsun 210 and an LTD II, both wagons. The Datsun was small enough it actually felt a little sporty, but the LTD II was emasculating, almost as much so as the later Aerostar. It was not until we got a Suburban that I could look at myself in the mirror again.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Dad had a 61 Rambler American back when I was too young to drive, so about early 60s. It was a good car as I recall.

I had a 1978 Ford Fairmont Estate wagon with the peel and stick wood grain on it. It had a 302 V8 and would smoke the tires. Nice for 2 dogs and a kid.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
My first car was a Volkswagen 'squareback' sedan...their version of a station wagon in 1970. It was OK but it wasn't hardly big enough to....well..you know what in...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have owned one station wagon. 1956 Chevrolet 2 door Nomad with four on the floor and 283 'vette motor that I couldn't keep rear ends in due to my heavy 20's something foot.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My first car was a 1976 Toyota Corolla station wagon. It was a hand me down from my mother forced upon me. I thought it was the most unfair thing in the world ! My friends were getting jacked up trucks and cool muscle cars and I got a turd brown station wagon frown . Mom thought it was perfect because I would hardly get out of its own way and I couldn’t go mudding in it. She was a single mom and an emergency room nurse. She saw the boys who who flipped their jacked up trucks and the racing wrecks. Turns out it was the greatest car for high school ! The AC worked and it had great gas mileage. It was so small and light there weren’t too many places I couldn’t get to. It would easily fit down between pine rows and go places many big jacked up trucks couldn’t. The back seats folded down flat and I had modified a vinyl gym mat to fit. I could run to the beach and back from Tallahassee all week on $20. Once the sun went down in the summer I could park in a secluded spot and let it idle with the AC on and fornicate in comfort. I had sheets and pillows smile. Sadly I don’t have any pictures of it from back in the day.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

164 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 257 roberts, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 851 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,706
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.