Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
Maybe her butt glue was on too thick, you insensitive bastids ever think of that???

Could you please explain what butt glue is?

Lol, are you sure you really want an answer?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

Reports now say she withdrew due to stress, I get it, there's a TON of it on her, but when wasn't it there? She's one of, if not, THE best of all time, She does things that they tried to stop her from doing as they were to hard/dangerous.

She was not on her A game up to this point. The team still won silver, which is a huge accomplishment.

I wonder what happens in the all around and individual events now though.

This. Withdrawing to let the team compete at their best was likely preferable to her lesser performance potentially dragging them down. JMO.

Last edited by las; 07/28/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
Maybe her butt glue was on too thick, you insensitive bastids ever think of that???

Could you please explain what butt glue is?

Butt glue

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Tide_Change

I miss the days when we could be proud of our athletes.

[Linked Image from usopm.org]

Exactly what I was thinking.

Anyways... Has anyone mentioned that she is, you know, one of those people?

If anything she's a great example of what a girl can do in America.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
She has been world champion for 5 years. She is 24 years old which is, strange but true, really old for this sport. Still she was picked to win gold. She has been training, four hours a day, for four years just for this event. Somehow she got a screw loose, maybe her boyfriend dumped her, maybe she is pregnant, maybe it is just the wacky female brain going sideways on her.
I like to watch the girl's gymnastics in the Olympics and Simone was a disaster this year. She did one flip where she landed on the edge of the mat, and then did the one hop, which is allowed, but she hopped right off of the matt. Egregious mistake! She did another flip where she staggered about 8 feet down the matt. You are allowed one little hop, but not an 8 foot stagger.

Her performance was a disaster. But I admire these gals the spins and flips they do are incredible. Also that is some dangerous stuff, flying around like that 12 feet above the matt, you screw up and land on your head and you are going to be paralyzed.

Her career is over, now she can go home and try to figure out how to spend the $6 million that she now has. And probably will still rack in a couple more million in the next year, she has contracts with 10 companies. I hope she will just put $1 million of her fortune into indexed stocks, and leave it there, that way, she will get about $125 K a year in profit from the stock market, and won't wind up broke in 3 years like most of these athletes.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bluefish
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by bluefish
A quitter and a loser. You play until you are pulled by the coach or carried off.

A loser? How many olympic golds do you have hanging on your wall?

As far as taking yourself out of the game, if you're hurting or not at your best it's the right thing to do for the team. I saw Peyton Manning cost the Broncos a game here by not taking himself out. Late in the game trailing by a field goal, third and short. If he'd been uninjured he could have easily run for a first down. But he was injured so he couldn't, he ran out of bounds instead. A punt and a loss because he didn't want to come out and the coach didn't have the balls to take him out.

She's a loser because she put herself ahead of the team, Polesmoker. You've never been on a team I guess. Physically can't play we all get. Too much stress don't cut the mustard. You willingly put yourself there knowing what comes with the moment. You can't hack and quit you're a loser for letting the side down.

Football, baseball , basketball dipschit. Performing at a subpar level just drags the team down, "I guess you've never been on a team." What a load of bullshat.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
And missing a triple flippy twist wizzbang could be catastrophic. She's cool.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Plus, a heck of a lot more interesting than Mooshell or Oprah!

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
She blew her chance to protest at the medal awards ceremony.
No need to continue.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
She blew her chance to protest at the medal awards ceremony.
No need to continue.

C&P from NYT (don't shoot the messenger).

Simone Biles and the Weight of Perfection

Simone Biles, the greatest gymnast of all time, who has used her influence to speak out against injustices, arrives at her second Olympics prepared to soar above the sport’s devastating recent history.
Credit...Illustration by Cristiana Couceiro; Photos: Jeff Roberson, via Associated Press

By Juliet Macur
July 24, 2021

Leer en español

In the many months leading to this summer, Simone Biles couldn’t wait for the Tokyo Olympics.

Not for them to start. For them to end.

The weight she carried as the face of the sport had become a burden. And the wear and tear on her body had become what she called “unreal,” with the pain in her ankles making every excruciating step a reminder of how unforgiving gymnastics can be.

In a telephone interview about a week before leaving for the Tokyo Games, she was asked to name the happiest moment of her career.

“Honestly, probably my time off,” she said.

Coming from the most decorated gymnast in history, a woman who revolutionized the sport, it was a striking comment.

Five years ago, Biles did everything her sport and her country asked her to. Sporting a red, white and blue bow in her hair, she helped the United States women’s gymnastics team secure its third consecutive team Olympic gold medal and then won three individual gold medals, in the all-around, the vault and the floor exercise. She emerged from those Games as America’s sweetheart, the itchy sash placed on every great American female gymnast.
Simone Biles practiced at the Olympic gymnastics venue in Tokyo. She is so innovative that she has four skills named after her.
Simone Biles practiced at the Olympic gymnastics venue in Tokyo. She is so innovative that she has four skills named after her.Credit...Chang W. Lee/The New York Times

Then, only weeks after she returned from Rio, came the revelation that the people responsible for protecting gymnasts and safeguarding the integrity of the sport had failed catastrophically to do either, revealing an entrenched culture of physical and emotional abuse.

U.S.A. Gymnastics had looked the other way as Lawrence G. Nassar, a longtime national team doctor, molested hundreds of female athletes, including many of Biles’s teammates — and, though it took time for her to realize it, Biles herself.

Biles had dedicated herself to gymnastics, sacrificing a normal life of school, dances, football games and friends for the grinding pursuit of perfection. After bringing gold medals to U.S.A. Gymnastics as that governing body had wanted, she inspired countless girls of color to take up the traditionally white sport and became the face of gymnastics around the world. She also came to believe that her sport didn’t care for her at all.

She has said she feels betrayed, and that makes the initial trauma even worse. Yet she has managed to set aside those feelings and harness the newfound power of an independent Black woman who knows her worth and answers to no one. No longer just a sweetheart, she has joined top Black female athletes like Naomi Osaka and Serena Williams in flexing her influence in sports and society.

In a show of defiance and resilience in a sport that has long demanded obedience from its young athletes, Biles is the only Nassar survivor, at least the only one who has come forward publicly, who will compete in Tokyo.

“I’m going to go out there and represent the U.S.A., represent World Champions Centre, and represent Black and brown girls over the world,” she said in the telephone interview. “At the end of the day, I’m not representing U.S.A. Gymnastics.”

Last month, after winning a record seventh national championship, Biles got a tattoo on her collarbone. It is just four words from a Maya Angelou poem about self-confidence and Black pride in the face of oppression. The words can also be read as her athletic credo as she launches herself off each apparatus in an effort to become the first female gymnast in a half-century to win back-to-back titles in the Olympic all-around.

The tattoo says, “and still I rise.”
A duty to speak out

For her dominance, individuality and longevity in the sport, Biles, 24, has been compared to Serena Williams, Tom Brady and Tiger Woods. But the analogy minimizes her athletic brilliance because those competitors lose from time to time — and she doesn’t. Biles hasn’t lost an all-around title since 2013, when her smile glinted silver because she still wore braces.
Biles at the 2016 Rio Olympics. She returned home to news of a devastating scandal in the sport.
Biles at the 2016 Rio Olympics. She returned home to news of a devastating scandal in the sport.Credit...Chang W. Lee/The New York Times

She is the rarest of American gymnastics stars, and not just because of her winning streak or because she has appeared on the covers of Vogue and Glamour.

She is unusual because she is outspoken.

Most who came before her didn’t dare express their opinions. Gymnastics is a subjective sport and no one wanted to antagonize competition judges or U.S.A. Gymnastics, the entity that selects the national and Olympic teams.

Like so many other gymnasts, Biles once kept her emotions locked up, especially at the gym, and let them out only in private.

But in early 2018, a day before Nassar’s main sentencing hearing, the pressure she felt to hold everything inside became too great. She knew Nassar had touched her inappropriately, but she had minimized the abuse because she knew he had done worse things to her teammates.

Finally, she understood: She too had been molested. Biles, no longer a teenager, wanted the world to know so she could lend power to the survivors’ movement.

“Most of you know me as a happy, giggly, energetic girl,” she wrote on Twitter. “But lately … I’ve felt a bit broken and the more I try to shut off the voice in my head, the louder it screams.” She tagged the post with #MeToo.

In the weeks and months afterward, she fell into a deep depression and slept a lot because, as she told Vogue magazine last year, “it was the closest thing to death without harming myself.” She felt she had let down her fans because America wanted her to be perfect. Therapy helped, she told The New York Times, and she publicly encouraged others to get help if they were struggling.

Biles soon realized that her words were powerful.

Three days after she tweeted that national team gymnasts shouldn’t have to return to the training center in Texas where Nassar molested so many girls, U.S.A. Gymnastics severed ties with it. Four days after Biles criticized Mary Bono, then the chief executive of U.S.A. Gymnastics, for seeming to disapprove of Nike supporting Colin Kaepernick’s choice to kneel during the national anthem, Bono stepped down from the position.

Biles became such a force that her teammates started asking her to tweet that the team should get all-expenses-paid vacations to the Caribbean. With her increasing fame, though, came a growing sense of duty that extended beyond gymnastics.
Biles at the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
Biles at the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.Credit...Chang W. Lee/The New York Times

She told people to vote, denounced violence against Asian Americans, remarked that electricity and clean water should be more accessible and said that everyone should be more accepting and “not give a damn about race, gender, sexual orientation.” During the protests after George Floyd’s killing last year, she supported Black Lives Matter, keenly aware that people were looking to hear what she had to say about it.

Like many Americans, Biles was incensed by what happened to Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and others, and was deflated thinking about how many other murders were not caught on videotape or acknowledged by the public. But when addressing these issues and others on social media, she does so with trepidation.

“I feel like I realized that power after I came out, after the #MeToo movement, and that was kind of scary,” she said of her Nassar-related announcement. “But it’s like, wow, my presence is very big in gymnastics but also online, just in the world in general. So I have to be a bit careful about what I say.”

It’s a problem she never dreamed of while living in foster care in Columbus, Ohio, as her mother was struggling with addiction.
Because she can

Biles remembers life before foster care: eating cereal with water because the family couldn’t afford milk and watching with disdain as the cat was fed when she and her siblings were not.

She ended up in a privileged white community in suburban Houston after her maternal grandfather, Ron, and his second wife, Nellie, adopted her and her younger sister, Adria, when Simone was 6. They now call Nellie and Ron Mom and Dad.

Her stepbrother Adam would drive Simone and Adria to school while encouraging them to shout, “Say it loud! I’m Black and I’m proud!” because he wanted them to be confident in themselves, though they didn’t look like most of the other students. They didn’t look like other gymnasts, either.

The same year she was adopted, Simone Biles visited a gym in Houston during a field trip with her day care center. A coach recognized her gift: Simone possessed a keen awareness of where she was in the air, so she would always land on her feet.

Later, that catlike quality of her 4-foot-8 body would help her land intricate and risky tricks that push the boundaries of her sport, including four skills now named after her because she was the first woman to perform them in an international competition.

“Simone is so good that the rest of us can only hope to finish second to her in the all-around,” Sunisa Lee, Biles’s Olympic teammate, said. “What else can you do? She does all sorts of crazy things no one else can do.”
Biles performing the difficult and dangerous Yurchenko double pike. A mistake could lead to serious injury.
Biles performing the difficult and dangerous Yurchenko double pike. A mistake could lead to serious injury.Credit...Emilee Chinn/Getty Images

At the Olympics, Biles hopes to add one more move to the list of those named after her: the Yurchenko double pike on the vault. She sprints down the runway, pushes off the table with her hands while upside down, and lands, two and a half flips later, on her feet. If she fails to rotate fast enough to get her feet under her, she could break her neck or ankles, or sustain a spinal cord injury. Biles still can’t believe she safely landed one at the U.S. Classic in May.

The risk did not show in her score, though, and Biles was not surprised. She and her supporters have long complained that her difficulty scores, which indicate how hard a routine is, are set too low, resulting in overall scores that don’t reflect the magnificence of what she has done.

At the 2019 world championships, Biles debuted a double twisting double somersault for her balance beam dismount, which was then named after her. But the difficulty score for her routine was lower than expected. There is speculation that the international gymnastics federation undervalues her scores to discourage other gymnasts from trying such hazardous moves. Biles believed the federation simply wanted to rein her in.

She has given up arguing that her skills deserve higher difficulty scores because “she doesn’t want to be a brat about it.” Besides, she doesn’t need judges to validate that she is phenomenal; she knows that already. And flaunts it.

On the competition floor, Biles wears leotards bedazzled with a rhinestone goat, declaring that she is the GOAT, the greatest of all time.

She was asked in May, why do the impossibly hard skills if you don’t get rewarded for it?

She said, “Because I can.”
Simone, Inc.

What else can Biles do because she can?

In May, when her contract with Nike ended, she left to sign with the women’s clothing company Athleta. Nike had been criticized for the way it treated its female employees and sponsored athletes, including penalizing athletes when they became pregnant.

For Biles, the switch was easy because Athleta “aligned with her values.” It was also willing to sponsor her post-Olympic, all-women tour called the Gold Over America Tour — for short, G.O.A.T.

The move dealt a direct blow to U.S.A. Gymnastics, which usually hosts its own tour after the Olympics in which gymnasts perform and drum up cash and interest in the sport. But with no Biles, there could be no tour. Biles’s decision also hurt the gymnasts on the men’s national team because it deprived them of potentially tens of thousands of dollars.
Biles, second from left, and Jordan Chiles, left, celebrating at the Olympic trials last month.
Biles, second from left, and Jordan Chiles, left, celebrating at the Olympic trials last month.Credit...Chang W. Lee/The New York Times

But Biles had to be merciless. The best interests of what could be called Simone Inc. were at stake.

“I had some of the guys reach out to me even the other day, ‘Are you sure the tour is all girls?’” she said. “I said: ‘Yes, I’m sorry. It’s not up to me for you to find or make money. That’s up to you and your agent.’”

The chief executive of U.S.A. Gymnastics, Li Li Leung, who took over in 2019 but has never met one on one with Biles, said she supported Biles’s enterprise. She said the federation wasn’t planning to host a tour this summer and the usual tour didn’t make that much money, anyway.

U.S.A. Gymnastics knows it has a good thing in Biles. And it desperately needs her after losing major sponsors like Visa and Procter & Gamble because of the abuse scandal. Under the weight of more than 200 Nassar-related lawsuits, the organization filed for bankruptcy protection in late 2018.

Bill Mallon, an Olympic historian, put it this way: U.S.A. Gymnastics has to tolerate whatever Biles does because its best hope of bouncing back from the Nassar scandal is … Simone Biles.

“She’s the saving grace for U.S.A. Gymnastics, whether they have admitted it or not,” he said. “Boy, they are a mess. If it wasn’t for her, I really don’t know how they would still be around.”

Without Biles, the sport also wouldn’t be as diverse as it is, or as it will be, either. One look at the gymnasts inside her Texas gym shows that.

Black and brown gymnasts from across the country, including the Olympian Jordan Chiles, have come to train with her at World Champions Centre, a gym owned by Biles’s mother. At the national championships, all six elite gymnasts from the gym were Black.

Chiles said that when she arrived at the center in June 2019, she was taken by surprise because she had never seen as many gymnasts of color in one place.
Biles, climbing, has inspired Black and brown girls to enter the sport. Chiles, right, said, “Representation matters, you know.”
Biles, climbing, has inspired Black and brown girls to enter the sport. Chiles, right, said, “Representation matters, you know.”Credit...Andrew Spear for The New York Times

“It’s pretty cool that kids will look at us, just the way we looked at Simone, and say, ‘Yeah, if she can do this, maybe we can do this, too,’” Chiles said.
Living like a grown-up

Biles hasn’t said whether these Olympics will be her last. She has hinted about coming back for the 2024 Paris Games, though just in the vault, to honor her French coaches, Cecile and Laurent Landi. But she is ready to retire; you can hear it in her voice. I’m old, she says. I’m tired. Stressed out. Everything hurts.

Mentally, the past five years have been what she called “a long journey.” When the Olympics were postponed from 2020 because of the coronavirus pandemic, Biles curled up in a corner of the gym’s locker room and cried. She didn’t want to be associated with U.S.A. Gymnastics any longer than she had to.

Cecile Landi — who is serving as her personal coach in Tokyo — coaxed Biles to take time off: go on vacation, look for a bigger house, get a hot tub, relax.

The suggestion allowed Biles to savor the bigger world around her. She bought a house in Spring, Texas, and made it her own with the help of one of her best friends, Kayla Rivers, who is an interior designer. They put together mood boards, with the overarching theme being anything luxurious and glam.

The relaxed, grown-up Biles also got herself a boyfriend, Jonathan Owens, a safety in the N.F.L. for the Houston Texans. They met when she sent him an Instagram direct message last summer and have been inseparable. At first, he had no clue who she was. He is still floored that she is featured on TV commercials and that girls squeal when they see her in public and ask for a selfie.

In February, she and Owens flew to Belize, where Nellie Biles is from, and took a couples vacation, riding on Jet Skis and swimming with sharks. They sipped cocktails and celebrated being young and in love.

Biles has no idea what she’ll do after gymnastics. Work in her gym? Coach in college? She is excited about her next chapter, but it scares her. Before that, though, she has to perform at the Olympics for the public that adores her and the sport that might have destroyed her.

“It’s like, OK, get here and be done,” Biles said of her gymnastics career. “You want it to come, but you also don’t want it to end.”

She added: “At the end of the day, I’m such a huge athlete, but who am I? If you take off that mask, you know, who will I be? I’m still trying to find that out.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/24/sports/olympics/simone-biles-gymnastics.html

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
True sportsmanship is nearly dead. It's all about what each of them want personally, and not the team.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
"Americans love a winner, and will not tolerate a loser. Americans play to win all the time."

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My buddy text me last night and said that her teammates "should stuff her kgunt with sheetrock screws!"

LOL

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rooster7
My buddy text me last night and said that her teammates "should stuff her kgunt with sheetrock screws!"

LOL

Little fuqking coward stayed silent as her teammates were molested, sounds like a nice girl to me.......

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not to gloat BUT amazing… news stories are now about the mental health strain put on the poor little girl.

GoTigersGo
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by Rooster7

LOL

Little fuqking coward stayed silent as her teammates were molested, sounds like a nice girl to me.......

Yah.... LOL all day long and stuff? Good God almighty what a creepy damned thing to share.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
This has all played out as planned. Anyone watch the competition leading up to this for her to make the Olympic team ? None of this BS we are seeing or hearing now. What better place to get the most attention and milk the fugg out of it than on the world stage.

You can blame her age, getting fondled by perv doc, etc but that hasn't stopped her from diving into the deep end of all the turmoil in the country in the last couple years. She needs something to make money on after this gig is over and this stunt has gained her at least a couple more years of spotlight and paychecks.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
All kidding aside, if a person's trying to make a name for their race or ethnicity this younger crowd sure as an odd way of going about it.

I'm proud to be white but I have never had anything but respect for Mike Tyson and Muhammad Ali. I am not a fan of euro-trash either, but I respect the hell out of Khabib Nurmagomedov.

If you want recognition and you want to prove that you are the best, don't smoke fugking weed a week before your trials and for the love of God don't quit, and tell us you have a mental health disorder.

Fugking losers.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MARCEL
She needs something to make money on after this gig is over and this stunt has gained her at least a couple more years of spotlight and paychecks.

I don’t see how she monetizes failure. This may get her a little more on the speaking circuit where woke groups can reward her “bravery,” but she lost all “champion cred” with the American people so the bigger money like endorsements where test groups weigh in like a Wheaties box cover are going to dry up quickly.

Ask Michael Richards how lucrative meltdowns are. Gloria Aldred tried to make the same case you are that Richards dropping the N bomb in his sets was going to boost his career. The correct response is, “Michael who?”

Fear the crabcat.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You want real athletes. Look at Rodeo Cowboys and Cowgirls. Day in day out they are on the road traveling town to town going to Rodeos and hoping that they do well in their events so they can get to the next town. Break an arm or leg, no problem tape it up and go on. Broken ribs? no problem wrap up your rib cage and try not to laugh. Some of them have made some serious money, but the rest squeak by getting them to the next rodeo while others do it for the love of the sport.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (10gaugemag, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 7 invisible), 1,617 guests, and 748 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,557
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.