Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
On the Browning 16s, the chokes I have and those in the hands of others I know are significantly mismarked. For example, mine measure: I/C = .006” (about right); M = .010” (pretty loose); F = .042” (way over choked).

Performance of the more open chokes is about what I expect from those constrictions. Briley and others will happily sell you others to fill in the gaps.

Last edited by GF1; 02/13/21.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Browning rep was at the LGS. My Citori Hunter Gr I, 16ga is on order.

WiFowler, any updates on shipping of your Browning Boatanchor (per Battue)? I ordered one but my shop can’t give me any idea what the shipping date is.

I checked out Battue’s AYA referenced SxS, it was really nice but just a little too speedy. I also saw a Winchester model 21 in GunsAmerica that was a beauty for a mere $6,995. I’ll stick to my Browning when it comes.

Misread what I meant....the boatancher comment was in reference to a SxS, if they ever make another..Their discontinued SxS Sidelock was a jewel....the BSS Models unnecessarily heavy...although they did make a European market only BSS that was much better...

I find little wrong with most Browning O/U...with the exception I don’t need one and they do little with the Citori than to put it into a different suit on a regular basis.

Really like the 20 Gauges, the Superposed and a well made B25...friend has a Belgium made Browning O/U 12 gauge that is a saber as far as weight and balance.

Last edited by battue; 02/13/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
WiFowler, any updates on shipping of your Browning Boatanchor (per Battue)? I ordered one but my shop can’t give me any idea what the shipping date is.

I was told "shipping 3rd quarter". I'd hope it would be sooner. But, as my late grandmother always said, "good things come to those that wait."

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by battue
Browning rep was at the LGS. My Citori Hunter Gr I, 16ga is on order.

I checked out Battue’s AYA referenced SxS, it was really nice but just a little too speedy. I also saw a Winchester model 21 in GunsAmerica that was a beauty for a mere $6,995. I’ll stick to my Browning when it comes.

Misread what I meant....the boatancher comment was in reference to a SxS, if they ever make another..Their discontinued SxS Sidelock was a jewel....the BSS Models unnecessarily heavy...although they did make a European market only BSS that was much better...

I find little wrong with most Browning O/U...with the exception I don’t need one and they do little with the Citori than to put it into a different suit on a regular basis.

Really like the 20 Gauges, the Superposed and a well made B25...friend has a Belgium made Browning O/U 12 gauge that is a saber as far as weight and balance.

My 20 gauge BSS boat anchor (28”) at 6.5 pounds weighs about 1/2 pound less than the 16 gauge Citori I had. In reality, neither are boat anchors.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Mine was a 12Gauge, 26inch and was much closer to 8 pounds than 7. Also had a 12 28 inch BSS made for the European market that was lighter. Nor did I say the 16 Citori was a boat anchor...

Last edited by battue; 02/18/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I’ve read somewhere that the early Browning o/u’s were blocky and not very ergonomic, but they improved over time. I hope the new Citoris aren’t like my buddies Baikal.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I’ve read somewhere that the early Browning o/u’s were blocky and not very ergonomic, but they improved over time.

I'll have to agree that early Citoris were 'blocky'. Not having handled one in some time, that was a major concern before I ordered the new Citori Hunter. Had hoped to handle one at SHOT, but that didn't happen. Spoke at length with a couple of Browning factory reps before I ordered and expressed this concern. I was told multiple times that the Hunter is not like the "old Citoriis". I was told to expect a stock with a feel very much like the 725 Field but w/o a palm swell, or a Lightning w/o the round knob. I was told to expect a forend very similar to the 725 Field (sans Schnobel) or the current White Lightning. The reps were very confident in their assessment and description, which lead me to order the Citoir Hunter Grade I, 16ga. We'll see if everything plays out when I get it in my hands later this year (shipping 3qtr).

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I’ve read somewhere that the early Browning o/u’s were blocky and not very ergonomic, but they improved over time.

I'll have to agree that early Citoris were 'blocky'. Not having handled one in some time, that was a major concern before I ordered the new Citori Hunter. Had hoped to handle one at SHOT, but that didn't happen. Spoke at length with a couple of Browning factory reps before I ordered and expressed this concern. I was told multiple times that the Hunter is not like the "old Citoriis". I was told to expect a stock with a feel very much like the 725 Field but w/o a palm swell, or a Lightning w/o the round knob. I was told to expect a forend very similar to the 725 Field (sans Schnobel) or the current White Lightning. The reps were very confident in their assessment and description, which lead me to order the Citoir Hunter Grade I, 16ga. We'll see if everything plays out when I get it in my hands later this year (shipping 3qtr).

Update: As luck would have it, the LGS received a Gr I Hunter and Gr II Hunter, both in 12ga, today. Took the opportunity to handle/fondle both (1, 26", the other 28"). In short I'll say this, the new Hunter is somewhere between an old, blocky Citori and a Lightning. The grip area of the stock and forend are a tad thicker than the Lightning. The forend, for sure, is nowhere near as bulky as the old Citoris. I'm on the fence as to whether I like the stock or not. All this said, these were 12ga models. Potentially the 16ga stock and forend will be slightly trimmer.

In the FWIW column, the Gr I was priced at $1709; the Gr II at $1879.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
The heading said 2021 Browning O/U. To bad. I was hoping for a pic of a 2021 o/u 16 ga.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I had a 16 ga Citori Grand Lightning. 28" barrels, beautiful blueing and wood. I shot it well but did not like to carry it for a hunting gun as it was bulky and a tad heavy. My AYA #2 RA (rounded action) with twin triggers, straight grip stock and 28" barrels carries so much better and is likely near a half a pound lighter than the Browning...but don't have specs on the Browning around anymore. Anyway, bought the Browning used, but like brand new in box with several flats of 16 ga ammo. Shot all the ammo over the years and sold the Browning to Cabelas when I moved to Canada for $600 more than I paid for the gun with the ammo several years earlier.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have an original 16 citori 1987 . First year they came out lightning grip 26 inch barrels beautiful wood 6 lbs 8 ounces on the money. Went through 2 labs and a bu ch of pheasants gun has been from. iowa to Montana. Lots of memory in that gun. Reflex memory is automatic I shot that gun so much

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Talked to the LGS yesterday. My 16ga Grade 1 Hunter is scheduled to ship on/about Aug 29.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
LGS called today and said the Citori Hunter, Gr I, 16ga I had ordered came in.

First impression - nice wood, physically a little heavier than expected (7# 2oz vs the advertised 6# 13oz), but the balance is pretty decent the added weight isn't that noticeable - to me. Grip/wrist is thinner than the 'standard' Citori's, but not as thin as the Lightning versions - new and old. I was hoping for a Lightning-like grip/wrist . . . .

Had the chance to compare the Browning to a F.A.I.R SLX600 16ga that was on the shelf. The F.A.I.R. was a easily a pound lighter and the grip/wrist a little thinner. Overall, the gun felt a little 'whippy', if you will. F.A.I.R. was about $120 less than the Citori Hunter. I pondered for a while, a primary concern being support/repair options should it be needed down the road, and the availability of additional chokes. Browning and Briley both offer additional 16ga Invector chokes ranging from ~$25-$75. On the other hand, Briley offers F.A.I.R chokes but on a special order basis (you send a choke in and they copy it) to the tune of ~$100 a choke. If I have a problem with the gun Browning will service it. Not sure who services F.A.I.R. - pretty sure it's not the conglomerate that imports them and other Italian guns.

In the end, I plunked my money down ($1700) and took the Citori home with me. Hopefully I'll get a chance to shoot it at some hand-thrown targets this weekend and get a feel for it.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
No word from my LGS about my Citori. It’s been a long wait time!!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
My Citori Hunter model still not in yet!! Getting inpatient now.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Major Charles Askins, Sr. would have approved. He had a 12 ga Super because Browning didn't make a 16 ga. Super.

He was a 16 ga. fan.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
LGS called today and said the Citori Hunter, Gr I, 16ga I had ordered came in.

First impression - nice wood, physically a little heavier than expected (7# 2oz vs the advertised 6# 13oz), but the balance is pretty decent the added weight isn't that noticeable - to me. Grip/wrist is thinner than the 'standard' Citori's, but not as thin as the Lightning versions - new and old. I was hoping for a Lightning-like grip/wrist . . . .

Had the chance to compare the Browning to a F.A.I.R SLX600 16ga that was on the shelf. The F.A.I.R. was a easily a pound lighter and the grip/wrist a little thinner. Overall, the gun felt a little 'whippy', if you will. F.A.I.R. was about $120 less than the Citori Hunter. I pondered for a while, a primary concern being support/repair options should it be needed down the road, and the availability of additional chokes. Browning and Briley both offer additional 16ga Invector chokes ranging from ~$25-$75. On the other hand, Briley offers F.A.I.R chokes but on a special order basis (you send a choke in and they copy it) to the tune of ~$100 a choke. If I have a problem with the gun Browning will service it. Not sure who services F.A.I.R. - pretty sure it's not the conglomerate that imports them and other Italian guns.

In the end, I plunked my money down ($1700) and took the Citori home with me. Hopefully I'll get a chance to shoot it at some hand-thrown targets this weekend and get a feel for it.

Well how do you like your new Citori? I’m still waiting on mine.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well , Wifowler your the 1 man jury what's the verdict( on the Citori hunter 16 ga.? Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Was hoping to get a low down from WiFowler on his new Citori hunter in 16 ga. He's hunting or something. My local LGS got in one of the shot show special Citori White Lightenings .16ga 28" barrels, silver nitride finish, grade 3/4 wood. Big thing though is it has a receiver scaled to the 16.. They listed for 2739.99 ended up getting it for 2295 and tax . Comes up perfect for me and it is nice. First new shotgun for me in a long time. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Bob,

Here's the comments I provided to one of the members via PM, when asked about the Citori Hunter 16ga.....
" A little on the heavy side. I was hoping the stock would be a closer to that of the Lightning. It's a little thick in the wrist to my way of thinking. The Lightnings (Gran and White) weight the same, but the difference in the grip/wrist seems to make them feel lighter, or better balanced. Chokes don't even come close to what they are marked. Briley chokes solved that. Had I to do it over again, I'd have ordered the Gran Lightning or searched around for an older Lightning."

From what can tell, you acquired a White Lightning. I think you'll be happy with it. I stayed away from the "new" Lightnings simply because of asthetics. Don't care for the 'gaudy' receiver embellishments on either. I'll continue to look for an older Lightning. In the mean time, with the chokes upgraded, the new Hunter has tallied a handful of pheasants so far this year.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,928 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,019
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.