Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Hastings
It could be handled by telling him that in light of your wives being friends you would like to remain socially cordial but be up front and tell him you have considered calling Colorado F&G on him. Just tell him you are not a poacher and that while you can be neighbors on good terms you are not going to jail with him and not putting yourself at risk and suspicion by hunting with him. And tell your wife what you told him so she doesn't get blindsided.

This. But you do what's in your own heart. I've had to disassociate with many guys like this ( some not as bad, some even worse!) through the years. I have no tolerance for them.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like you know right from wrong.. Just do what in your heart is the right thing.

He'll get his regardless.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
if you associate with him after knowing this, you are a damn fool in my opinion. let the women do their thing and let your wife know exactly what is up. his wife may be up to some sort of schit too. i made up my mind many decades ago to not associate with scumbags. and i know/knew a lot of scumbags of all types. i lost quite a few "friends" over this decision.

and no, i would not narc on him. just get rid of the situation entirely and consider yourself lucky

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had to ditch all my Baptist friends

They kept drinking all my beer

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Cut the rope and walk away before he causes you some SERIOUS trouble with the law. If he is as self centered and bad as you say he is, he will trip over his own dikk soon enough.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by slumlord

probably makes them church potlucks a bit uncomfortable. i hate sharing fold-up tables with people i don't like.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would wish him good luck with his hunts and go do my own thing. I had a similar situation years ago with a guest of another member of our Florida lease, The guy latch on to me after he found out I was out at the lease every weekend and started calling me on Thursdays asking if I was going out there and basically inviting himself along. After a few weeks of making bs excuses why I couldn't take him I ran into him at the grocery where he proceeded to give me sht about not taking him along. I just told him I had other guests I needed to take and if he wanted to hunt every weekend he should probably get his own membership in a lease or find a place to hunt with permission. That was the last I seen or heard from him.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hookeye
His stating an illegal plan was a gift.
You have an out.
And its justified.

Your wife should accept that as well

This right here.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
OP, can’t you figure out when you’re being used? The guy invites you to hunt with him and you end up driving and bringing his horses? The guy says he’ll tag along and then you end up dragging horses. The guy “volunteers” for something and then wants consideration in return? Then he talks down to you? He also tells you he will hunt legally or illegally. Geez. He isn’t a friend. He is a parasite and a liability. Your (or society’s) concerns don’t matter to him. Run, Forrest, Run! If he gets mad, so what. Surely your wife would understand that.

As for diming the guy out, I am not sure what that would accomplish. If you tell game and fish that Joe Blow has an archery tag and said that he intends to hunt with a muzzle loader during the upcoming archery season, and to go find him in the middle of nowhere Colorado and catch him in the act, that is going to be quite a long shot. If you tell them that Joe Blow says that he hunted with a muzzle loader during archery season in the past, that won’t come close to proving a case beyond a reasonable doubt. If it makes you feel better, fine, but don’t expect that it will do much.

Abby

This. You're basically accusing him of a thought crime. He's thinking about doing something that he hasn't done yet. Yay, 'Merica, you just went full commie.

Otherwise, I'd disassociate myself from an obvious jerk who simply uses people under the guise of being friends.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
It could be handled by telling him that in light of your wives being friends you would like to remain socially cordial but be up front and tell him you have considered calling Colorado F&G on him. Just tell him you are not a poacher and that while you can be neighbors on good terms you are not going to jail with him and not putting yourself at risk and suspicion by hunting with him. And tell your wife what you told him so she doesn't get blindsided.

I think this is the best suggestion.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
We may or may not have burned one of our guys. He had a bad habit of shooting elk on his archery tag and going back and filling another bull tag on his wife’s tag. A tip to the fish cop made for a surprise visit from the red shirts at the trailhead. They played along with his dumb dumb routine and let him go there. I heard the 6am raid on his house the next day was spectacular. 😀😀

Fug poachers.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'd distance myself from him, but I'd never call the game warden on a neighbor. Them fuqkers wouldn't make many cases if they didn't get all their snitch phone calls. Pisses me off to see a guy get in more trouble for a game violation than if he committed a violent crime or is a drug dealer.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Just a guess here but it's possible the situation might resolve itself without you making a phone call to Co. F&G. If the man is carrying a rifle, muzzle loader or cartridge rifle out in the forests during ARCHERY ONLY season, some archery hunters are bound to see him. They very well might call the game wardens themselves and report a "poacher."

Problem solved.

As others said, however, get rid of this guy. He's bad medicine.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

I think this is the best suggestion.

It is...

If by "best" you mean "worst"

Good Lord...

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
OP, can’t you figure out when you’re being used? The guy invites you to hunt with him and you end up driving and bringing his horses? The guy says he’ll tag along and then you end up dragging horses. The guy “volunteers” for something and then wants consideration in return? Then he talks down to you? He also tells you he will hunt legally or illegally. Geez. He isn’t a friend. He is a parasite and a liability. Your (or society’s) concerns don’t matter to him. Run, Forrest, Run! If he gets mad, so what. Surely your wife would understand that.

As for diming the guy out, I am not sure what that would accomplish. If you tell game and fish that Joe Blow has an archery tag and said that he intends to hunt with a muzzle loader during the upcoming archery season, and to go find him in the middle of nowhere Colorado and catch him in the act, that is going to be quite a long shot. If you tell them that Joe Blow says that he hunted with a muzzle loader during archery season in the past, that won’t come close to proving a case beyond a reasonable doubt. If it makes you feel better, fine, but don’t expect that it will do much.

Abby

Maybe the op knows where he likes to poach elkes? Just a randumb thought.

Lot of rifle toting bear hunters used to accidently bust a bull years ago in Co when i was hunting elk legally with a bow (in archery season).

Last edited by jaguartx; 07/27/21.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
just go do your own thing you do not need him....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by okie
just go do your own thing you do not need him....

This^^^^^^

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Just a guess here but it's possible the situation might resolve itself without you making a phone call to Co. F&G. If the man is carrying a rifle, muzzle loader or cartridge rifle out in the forests during ARCHERY ONLY season, some archery hunters are bound to see him. They very well might call the game wardens themselves and report a "poacher."

Problem solved.

As others said, however, get rid of this guy. He's bad medicine.

L.W.

I think the poacher was proposing hunting during the muzzleloader season with an archery tag in his pocket, Could be wrong, either way get away from the clown and if you hear he followed through on his plan and harvest an elk, turn him in

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord

Was they dancin' too?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mirage243
I'd distance myself from him, but I'd never call the game warden on a neighbor. Them fuqkers wouldn't make many cases if they didn't get all their snitch phone calls. Pisses me off to see a guy get in more trouble for a game violation than if he committed a violent crime or is a drug dealer.

Would you call if he wasn't a neighbor?

If he was taking 10 deer a year out of the area you hunt? 20? More than 20?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,819 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,488
Posts18,452,058
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.