Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Anyone here use the Frankford Arsenal Hand priming tool? If so what do you think?

Can't get the old Lee tool anymore..

Tried RCBS and it was a complete POS

Using Lyman right now but it seems to be wearing out....

Let me know what you think of the Frankford Arsenal tool.

Not interested in the others...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
BP-B2

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by ingwe
Anyone here use the Frankford Arsenal Hand priming tool? If so what do you think?

Well since your not interested in others, why not just buy the thing?

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by yobuck

Well since your not interested in others, why not just buy the thing?

Mainly because they are out of stock right now...

Also put that in there because it usually takes two or less replies to get " Oh, thats not what you want! You want XYZ brand like I use!"

Last edited by ingwe; 07/27/21.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have tried a bunch, but for whatever reason, the old Lee tool with the round tray worked best for me. But, they aren't available anymore. I haven't tried the FA tool. I tried the RCBS with the universal shellholder. Yuck.

I have a thought about the latest Lee hand priming tool. It appears that the primer adapter used in the hand tool is the same as the bench mounted one. I did a test in 2016 of Lee's new bench mounted priming tool and found a few things needed fixing. Since then, I got another with the improvements and they have got everything worked out.

You can see the 2020 update I posted here - 2020 Lee Priming Tool Update

Because changes were made, I would be willing to try the Lee Auto Prime.

I am still not a fan of their primer tray. It has three positions - ON -- LOCK -- OPEN. After loading the primers onto the tray and closing it, you put the switch in the middle "Lock" position so the primers do not fall out of the chute when attaching it to the tool. My tray doesn't keep the primers inside when on LOCK. I probably got a bad tray.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Repeating, the hand primer uses the same tray and adapter (the part the tray fits into) as the bench mounted tool. This was previously a problem - it jammed or double fed - but has been corrected. I use the bench mounted tool and have primed thousands of cases, since the improvements, without any seating problems.

For $30, I say go for the Lee tool.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have been using the RCBS that you change shell holders in it, for over 20 years with no problems. A lot of the newer stuff is crap, cheap made to make you replace after a little while. If you can find this type you probably will not have to worry about it again. I have two, one set up for small primers and the other for large primers. I prime while watching TV. Very fast also. Good shooting

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I used a Lee ram prime forever, or some hand primer deal my dad had.

Recently picked up the Sinclair hand prime. Havent tried it yet.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

I use the FA and love it. I have primed on my rockchucker, and the lee handhelds, but made the switch to the Frankford Arsenal Platinum. If it broke today, I'd buy another. It's a really well made unit though. Doubt you would ever wear it out. It's pretty heavy duty.

What did I win for being the first to actually answer the question 😂😂?

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Ky221

I use the FA and love it. I have primed on my rockchucker, and the lee handhelds, but made the switch to the Frankford Arsenal Platinum. If it broke today, I'd buy another. It's a really well made unit though. Doubt you would ever wear it out. It's pretty heavy duty.

A Kewpie Doll for damn sure! laugh

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Where's my honourable mention? I said that I haven't tried the FA tool, but I tried to get in with another hand primer tool. I posted it right after you said this.

...Also put that in there because it usually takes two or less replies to get " Oh, that's not what you want! You want XYZ brand like I use!"

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Where's my honourable mention? I said that I haven't tried the FA tool, but I tried to get in with another hand primer tool. I posted it right after you said this.

...Also put that in there because it usually takes two or less replies to get " Oh, that's not what you want! You want XYZ brand like I use!"

OK...OK..our friendly neighbor to the north gets runner up honorable mention ..but mention is all you did! I need cold hard facts! laugh

Consolation prize will be a fake Vaccine Passport...I'm working on a batch now.....

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The old Lee is the best. Had the best feel for seating depth. The press mounted ram prime is good too. Frankford's version looks a little bit better made than the Lee but I have no idea if it works as well.

I put a want to buy ad in the classifieds for an old style Lee hand prime and picked one up for a spare. My original broke the thumb lever last year and I thought it was a goner but found the new style lever works with a little filing. So now I have two. Keep that in mind if you have a broken lever. Midway sells them for a few bucks each.

God Bless America
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

OK...OK..our friendly neighbor to the north gets runner up honorable mention ..but mention is all you did! I need cold hard facts! laugh

Consolation prize will be a fake Vaccine Passport...I'm working on a batch now.....

laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Ky221

A Kewpie Doll for damn sure! laugh

I had to look that one up. Super creepy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use Frankfort’s and like it.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Lyman socks !!!!!!

Ride Hard, Shoot Straight, Don't Lie !
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a couple of RCBS hand primer tools but I haven't used them in a number of years. They're too hard on my arthritic hands and they're slow compared to a bench top priming tool.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by MickinColo; 07/28/21.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by MickinColo
I have a couple of RCBS hand primer tools but I haven't used them in a number of years. They're too hard on my arthritic hands and they're slow compared to a bench top priming tool.

Sorry for the off topic post. smile They rarely happen here.

I agree. A bench priming tool is a great add on for anyone who is having problems working a hand tool!

Even an inexpensive press mounted tool like the little Lee works amazingly well.

I would remind everyone that handling primers with your fingers will not degrade or ruin them. They have been sealed for many years.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Tom, I switched to the FA a while back and like it better than any others I've used which includes both RCBS units and the Hornady. From what I can tell on their shell holder chart, the only cartridges I load that aren't covered with the supplied shell holders are 22 Hornet and 450/400 NE. I don't think you'd be disappointed...

If you want to try mine before purchasing, you're more than welcome to give it a go.

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Thanks Jerry, but Im pretty convinced after what you and Ky221 said....I put my name on the 'notify ' list at Midway for one and meanwhile will search the web.....

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
768 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 75 invisible), 2,981 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,390
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.