Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
1/4 bore whores are like that Jerry! I shot a two shot group once with my .25-20 levermatic at 100 that put both cast bullets thru the same hole. Dead center on the X. With a tang sight.

I’d rather be lucky than good,

DD

Why didn’t you try 3 shots ?

Chicken laugh

Last edited by jwall; 07/28/21.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Some time back I was fiddling with a Mod 70 SG in .257 Roberts. Fired a group of 2 and another of 3 back to back using 117 Hornady boat tails. Never bothered to measure each group. Twist of the knobs put it on target and life is good.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Digital "Tongue in Cheek" Dan

That'll do!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm like Okie John, Can't shoot well enough to tell the difference. But boat tails are easier to start in the case when you are seating so I shoot mostly boat tails. wink

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Crow hunter,

The boattail and crown can be perfect, and the flat-base will still be more accurate at closer ranges--say out to 200-300 yards, where most "short range" benchrest shooting takes place. This is because the boattail allows hot gas from the muzzle to slightly destabilize the bullet. This is why SR benchresters use flat-base or, at most, bullets with very short boattails.

Beyond around 300 the higher BC of boattails results in finer accuracy, due to less wind drift, even in very mild breezes.

MD

So could you take a WOG and venture what a 1/2" deer rifle with a flat base might do with a BT? 3/4" at 100? I'm trying to get a feel for the difference on average for a hunting bullet out of an accurate rifle.

Last edited by dimecovers5; 07/30/21.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dimecovers5
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Crow hunter,

The boattail and crown can be perfect, and the flat-base will still be more accurate at closer ranges--say out to 200-300 yards, where most "short range" benchrest shooting takes place. This is because the boattail allows hot gas from the muzzle to slightly destabilize the bullet. This is why SR benchresters use flat-base or, at most, bullets with very short boattails.

Beyond around 300 the higher BC of boattails results in finer accuracy, due to less wind drift, even in very mild breezes.

MD

So could you take a WOG and venture what a 1/2" deer rifle with a flat base might do with a BT? 3/4" at 100? I'm trying to get a feel for the difference on average for a hunting bullet out of an accurate rifle.

Not MD but I had a Ruger in 270 Win that was a 3/4" or better gun with flatbased bullets and a 3-5" gun with 2 different boattail bullets.

A TC Encore 25-06 that was the same.

My BDL 6mm isn't that bad but shows a clear preference for a flat based bullet. 1/2" with flatbase vs 3/4 or so with the 1 boattail I tried. I could probably live with the 3/4" groups especially if they held up at 300 yards but I see no reason to change.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 07/30/21.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
[/quote]MD

So could you take a WOG and venture what a 1/2" deer rifle with a flat base might do with a BT? 3/4" at 100? I'm trying to get a feel for the difference on average for a hunting bullet out of an accurate rifle. [/quote]

No, can't make a WOG because individual rifles and bullets vary so much.

Have had boattails average less than 1/2" at 100 yards from a "deer rifle"--and that's 5-shot groups. not 3-shot, from a rifle that weighs less than 8 pounds with scope. But it's a custom 6.5 PRC built by Charlie Sisk, with a 1-8 twist Lilja barrel. But I have never tried any flat-based bullets in the rifle, because they don't make much sense in a rifle like that. Maybe they'd shoot 1/4" groups.

The first super-accurate "deer rifle" I ever owned, however, was a Remington 700 ADL I epoxy-bedded/free-floated in the mid-1970s. (In fact, it may have been the first "glass" bedding job I ever did.) It shot most bullets well from the get-go, but by far the most accurate handload turned out to be the 150-grain Hornady Spire Point with around 58 grains of H4831--which at the time was still the original mil-surp powder. It would regularly put 3 shots into 1/2" or less at 100 yards, and the only time I tried it at 300 four shots went into 1-1/4". I shot four rounds because that's what I had on hand--and that was with a 4x scope.

It eventually turned out the superb accuracy was partly because of other factors I didn't understand at the time, including what was probably a super-consistent batch of bullets--though it was definitely repeatable.

But the tendency of flat-based bullets to shoot more accurately out to 200-300 yards had been well-established in benchrest shooting. However, unless you just want to punch small groups in paper with your deer rifle, it's irrelevant at ranges out to 300 yards--or even farther.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Guys

In all my shooting hunting I’ve only used
4 BT bullets.

277, 140 BTSP (discontinued AFAIK)
284, 139 BTSP
284, 162 BTSP
30 cal 165 BTSP
(Come to think of it I used the 30cal 190 BTSP In
1 300 WM)

Being a hunter I never tried for .3 .4 etc.

My goal is 4-5, in 1” O-O

That is less than 1 moa to me.

Even in my relatively new to me 284 Win I haven’t
had any trouble achieving that.

My 7 mags & 06 likes BTs.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Don't care about paper and only shot one whitetail about 600 Most 20 to 120. What makes me perplexed is me and a good buddy have vintage Browning .270 A-Bolts ca . 1985 and I can put five shots in an asprian with his and mine well under a dime. Both with 150 Nosler Federal factory Partisons ammo. When I try BT's in either rifle it's more like just under an inch with several loads. I actually spoke to the guy at Browning that designed it and asked him about it. His first question..............are your rifles .270's ? Yes sir............his answer was...........we have had several field reports the same.........we can't figure out why.............so we can't duplicate it.

Last edited by dimecovers5; 07/30/21.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J

How big are your "asprians"???.Would love to have a benchrest rifle that could consistently put 5 shots IN an asprin ( just measured one @ .433"). Insided would take a .156" group....insided a dime would be .473"...I need to find me some of them "Partisons" !!!

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
The clearest case of a flat base bullet out shooting a boat tail was a 300 Wby MkV which a family friend brought out to shoot on our range in 1965. I was pretty excited because I had not seen a Weatherby in action before. He fired a 3 shot group at 100 yds, using 180 Hornady bullets, and they formed a perfect triangle 1 inch wide. He then fired three of the same load but with 180 Sierras on top. This load produced a nice eight inch group. The long, oversized throat in the Weatherby just didn't like Sierra boat tails. Norma 180's, with a much shorter boat tail and a somewhat blunt nose, shot as well as the Hornady bullets; so did Speers.
I had the same experience when shooting .308 bullets in my 303 British. Any flat base bullet shot quite well but a Sierra boat tail would barely stay on the paper. GD

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dimecovers5
Don't care about paper and only shot one whitetail about 600 Most 20 to 120. What makes me perplexed is me and a good buddy have vintage Browning .270 A-Bolts ca . 1985 and I can put five shots in an asprian with his and mine well under a dime. Both with 150 Nosler Federal factory Partisons ammo. When I try BT's in either rifle it's more like just under an inch with several loads. I actually spoke to the guy at Browning that designed it and asked him about it. His first question..............are your rifles .270's ? Yes sir............his answer was...........we have had several field reports the same.........we can't figure out why.............so we can't duplicate it.

Pics or it dint happen.

Last edited by Swifty52; 07/31/21.

Swifty
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,951 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,752
Posts18,401,318
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.