Campfire Outfitter
Best to take care of them after dark.

[Linked Image from ]
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by worriedman
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Still, they don’t quite compare to yella jackets. YJ’s and fire ants share the title to the biggest azzholes in the insect world.

Had a young ex con helping clean up some storm downed trees and weed eating around the stumps a couple of years ago. Wife looked out the window and saw him with his t-shirt pulled off flapping and whipping it about as he hightailed it across the front yard at a pretty good clip, he dived off into the big ditch on the other side and you could hear him crashing and cussing as he went out of sight and hearing...

I went to check on the site of the action and the weed eater was still running where he had dropped it, completely covered in yellowjackets, and a cloud of them keeping a high level fighter canopy over it...

I left it well enough alone and went after the kid, found him about a mile down the road still headed back to the hood. He looked like he had been run through a sausage mill, he was not even coming back to get his money. I dropped him off at his girlfriends place and never saw him again...

I got some stuff from a outfit in GA that mails out insecticides and it has a can of spray heavier than air that you dose the hole at night with, and some powder you sprinkle around the hole. That stuff will get 'em.

I suggest that when you do stuff that is likely to result in an unfortunate encounter with bees that you wear a bee keeper’s outfit. These consist of coveralls, gloves and a light screen head piece. Should be light and effective.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Paper wasps are frequent here, build small open nests under the eaves and in bushes. I usually leave ‘em be unless they are close to a doorway or path.

One good thing is every wasp I’ve ever sprayed was incapacitated almost instantly by even plain ol’ pyrethroid sprays. Unlike a cockroach for example that can take several minutes.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I got stung by one two years ago on the right shoulder, didn't amount to much just hurt. The next day about noon my right arm went dead , wouldn't move or feel , like it wasn't there. I thought I was having a stroke. Went to the ER and they couldn't find anything wrong. In about three hours it started working again. They only charged me $3500.00 .

NOVIT EMIM DOMINUS QUI SUNT EUIS {Arnauld Amalric} "Kill them all,God will know His." Never trust Horses ,Women and very few Mules.A good rifle will let in lots of AIR AND LIGHT.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Wasps are beneficial insects.

I'd love to see pics of these "Big red angry wasps".

Or it might not have happened? wink

Hey Jim, do you folks have any onions in the garden? I found wasps of all types love them when they go to flowering. Spider killer wasps, little yellow suckers, regular old yeller jackets, probably a cicada killer or two on them. Saw a honey bee (one of mine??) on them today even.

And one of my favorite things is to see them crawling under cabbage leaves and coming out with a caterpillar.

I generally leave them nests alone unless they're near a doorway that gets used all the time, or near the tools in the shed.

Then again, I'm not allergic to their stings. Just a bit worse than a bee sting and keeping bees will get one stung on occasion.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hanco

Thanks hanco, there's a pic of them for me.

Never saw that brand before. All sorts of others. They look best avoided, eh?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
They have changed the formulas. Use to spray knocked them dead instant. Not they crawl around and can still fly

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Yeah, they give you good exercise.

LOL - that’s no schizzles!

Yellow Jackets have got to be the aholes of the insect world. Get a BBQ going and those bastards will find you and screw with you while you’re swatting and dodging them between bites. I once opened the lid to the grill without realizing the surprise party they had planned for me. Two big nests inside the lid. I slammed it closed and lit her up. Hornets for hour d’oeuvres is a nice touch. My niece got stung on her tongue. One of those damned things crawled onto her soda can and she took a swig. I just had the exterminator spray the hell out of the place. Best $85 bucks I’ve spent in a while.

Last edited by Ben_Lurkin; 07/28/21.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yellow jackets bite. Multiple times if you are unlucky.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Saw one chasing Treyvon around a loading dock.
Funnier than chit!

"Where's at, where's at?"
"Rightz behindzou" the others would say.
"Yah, he'll get you good" the token Caucasian added.
Funnier than chit.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've been using Spectracide Wasp & Hornet Killer for years with great success. This year it's not working very well. I wonder if they've changed the formulation.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Hey Jim, do you folks have any onions in the garden? I found wasps of all types love them when they go to flowering. Spider killer wasps, little yellow suckers, regular old yeller jackets, probably a cicada killer or two on them. Saw a honey bee (one of mine??) on them today even.

And one of my favorite things is to see them crawling under cabbage leaves and coming out with a caterpillar.

I generally leave them nests alone unless they're near a doorway that gets used all the time, or near the tools in the shed.

Then again, I'm not allergic to their stings. Just a bit worse than a bee sting and keeping bees will get one stung on occasion.

I haven't had onions growing for a few years.

Thats interesting though.

Most adult wasps dont eat the prey they kill. That stuff is for the young.

They eat nectar.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad

I haven't had onions growing for a few years.

Thats interesting though.

Most adult wasps dont eat the prey they kill. That stuff is for the young.

They eat nectar.

Yep, like their cousins in my hives, the protein goes to the kids. But they have to fuel themselves with something.

I've still got a couple that haven't closed up and set seed. I'll see if I can get a picture tomorrow, maybe one with two or three species on it at the same time.

In it is contentment

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
That would be a tasty wasp.

I am MAGA.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Hell, step on a honey bee with diabetic feet. A Fentanyl Lozenge only helps a little. Your looking at hours of excruciating pain.

There is no clover around the house and pool here anymore.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

One year, me and a bud was getting a feeder ready for deer season.

I always bump it, before taking lid off, safety measures. 😂🤪.

When i did those orange wasp started boiling out the bottom.

Buddy is bad allergic to stings. He took off running. I fended them off with a machete. 😂🤪

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Fire ants aren't as bad as a honey bee. We have some light orange wasps here that hurt like the devil. I would rather deal with a rattlesnake than a wasp nest. I hate wasps.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We have some katy-killers (cicada killers)

Black wasp looks fierce but not aggressive. They hover about a foot above the grass and then dive into the ground.

Also have what I think is the same insect- it has been going around and checking out all the carpenter bee drill holes. It crawls up inside there and hauls their asses out, larvae, etc.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Allergic to yellowjackets.

Love when cleaning geese in nuisance season the sneak in and slurp the blood between your fingers.

Never been stung that way. They buzz and keep feeding, just let you know theyre there.

Every time....its like ice water shoots through my veins.

Last edited by hookeye; 07/29/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just took this pic

Been drinking a lot of Cheerwine last few days. When I piss off the deck, some hits the handrail.

The bumbles like drinkin my sticky piss

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
412 members (10ring1, 1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 41 invisible), 2,106 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.