Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16289340 07/27/21
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I know some don’t consider them archery equipment but the state of Florida does so I thought I would try one out. I have been intrigued by the reverse draw crossbows since they came out and finally took the plunge and bought a TenPoint Siege RS410. I got their back pack for it and the TenPoint Center Punch broadheads to try. I still plan to use my Hoyt also, this just adds another tool in the chest

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
GB1

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Oh yeah, hunting with a crossbow is great fun...Enjoy👍......Hb

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Oh yeah, hunting with a crossbow is great fun...Enjoy👍......Hb

Plus One - you're in outdoors, and getting after it - don't let the deer baiters get you down.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I won't use an X bow, but don't care if others do.

If its legal and you're having fun, that's good enough.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If you can, get the aluminum bolts and run a heaier head. The extra weight helps with the noise and improves penetration at the longer distances.
Still only a 40 yard weapon though. The lighter weight of the bolts means more loss of energy past 20 yards.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You may need a new target too. I ended up with the Block crossbow target. My Excalibur blew right through an alleged Morrell 400fps bag.

They are hammers for certain.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WStrayer
If you can, get the aluminum bolts and run a heaier head. The extra weight helps with the noise and improves penetration at the longer distances.
Still only a 40 yard weapon though. The lighter weight of the bolts means more loss of energy past 20 yards.

The bolts are not lighter weight. Most are 400-450 grains. Some manufacturers supply 350-370 gr bolts to exaggerate the fps, but most have gone to 400+. His Siege, with a 400 gr bolt will exceed the ft. pounds of energy of a fast compound bow at the bow...at 70 yds.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by hookeye
I won't use an X bow, but don't care if others do.

If its legal and you're having fun, that's good enough.

Ditto.

NRA Patron
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Got one ordered

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Ordered a Ravin R26 yesterday. Figured I try the dark side.

IC B3

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Used one to take a 5X6 bull last year and am headed to Utah in a couple weeks to see if I can find a spike.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Picking one up this week. Excited to try something new. Set up a "walking around" range on my property with different targets. Hunt the generously long bow season in WV when I normally only hunt the 2 week rifle season.

Last edited by Moses; 01/16/22.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
in my home state x-bows are legal for handi-cap hunters and hunters over 60 years of age ,46 states allow x-bows in some way , i do know Montana does not allow even for the handi cap not sure Montana is following the Federal handi cap provision on federal land by not allow the use of a x-bow for the handi cap during archery season ,Montana does allow the draw-lock bow system for the handi-cap and tried this system its even more difficult for the handi cap to carry. nothing wrong in my eyes for anyone to use a x-bow anyplace during archery and / or rifle season you still can only tag your quota or maybe its just one buck. > for the people that are against x-bows someday you will be old or maybe hurt and become handi cap do you still wanna hunt or just stay home and rot ? so if your a x-bow hunter as i now am enjoy that x bow and be safe , > i did hunt with a regular longbows and recurve bows since i was 10 years old that`s 55 years with a drawn bow even compounds , but started before even compounds were used or invented by ALLEN , for the last 3 years at age 68 and handi capped i now used a x bow , so is that wrong ? i don`t think so ! all forms of hunting and all tools to kill / harvest an animal to eat are fine remember animal rights ,peta and so on these snowflakes want us to fight among ourselves that`s why now we a high wolf population and that`s mess up too. take care ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Pete53, I hear you. I'm only 3 years behind you. Same situation, Been deer hunting all my life. I fell and broke both of my wrist's last year. My bow hunting days are over. I really enjoy bow hunting. Last year I bought a Ravin 29. It shoots as accurate as a rifle at 50 yds. That's as far as I have shot it. That's plenty far enough for me. I prefer to shoot at 20 - 30 yds. I know the Xbow is capable of much greater distances, But it is a lot more fun getting close to a nice buck.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Im banged and beat up and still dont want an x bow.
Have shot em, buds have em.
I got a lighter weight compound and am still waiting for my lighter weight recurve limbs.

I have killed enough stuff. How I kill is important to me
Have not put a deer in the freezer for the last 2 yrs

Sucks but no bucks worth shooting seen

Have a disabled kid, in her 20s. If she wants a Mission X bow i will buy one for her. She cant handle the cold so itd be ground blind w heater. Whatever she wants, Ill buy it.

She can fill my freezer w X bow.

Im gonna fight the aches and pains and damage as long as I can

Last edited by hookeye; 01/16/22.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Im a bowhunter.
Not just a deer hunter that uses a bow.

Like guns too.

But late October is magical and it just feels right to tote a recurve.

Dont care what other people do.

I don't need to kill a deer.

So how I go about it matters.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
some us are even past the small aches and pains we just can`t draw a bow anymore , 55 years i used a drawn bow and i have always hunted deer in all of October most of November all the way tell December 31st. , sometimes i never shot a decent buck tell late December in the snow in below zero weather but now after all these health problems i don`t have a choice i got to use a x-bow or quit . i was a power lineman for 35 years in Northern Minnesota that climb a lot of poles over many years , this was a hard job on the body . i just had my 4th back surgery 11 months ago with plates and screws installed, have also had a disc replaced in my neck ,both shoulders have been rebuilt my left shoulder surgeon wants to replace it , knee has had surgery and needs replacement ,eye surgery ,heart surgery too. so tell me how i can pull a bow back anyone with a 30 lb. weight restriction for life ?

Last edited by pete53; 01/17/22.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Pete, I feel your pain. When it comes to hunting, To each his own. It sucks when you physically can no longer draw a bow. When it comes down to making the transition from a bow to a Xbow, or not going hunting. I'll take the Xbow hands down, no questions asked. Its about still getting out there in the woods that time of year. Not how you kill a deer or if you kill a deer. I enjoy hunting and would like to do so as long as I possibly can. If a Xbow helps me do that so be it. Beats the He!! out of sitting home.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have a love - hate relationship using a x-bow but i can not wait to be back hunting again next fall ! and maybe turkeys too this spring ?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Correct...those who have a handicap, or age has taken their strength, should be allowed to use a crossbow..

The rest should also be allowed to use a crossbow....during the regular rifle season. I mean they even place scopes on them.

Last edited by battue; 01/18/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1minute, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,907 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,525
Posts18,452,829
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.