Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
GregK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Through my S&W 625 4" barrel Hornady factory +P 230 gr XTP loads do 909 fps. I'd like to come up with a handload using this same bullet to match that using one of the powders that I have available, HP-38, N-340, HS-6, and 2400. Suggestions?

Greg

NRA Life Member, 1990
Life Member, NYSRPA
Life Member, Saugerties Fish and Game Club
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)
GB1

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
HS6 I know, and it will do +p loads. 2400 is too slow, hp38 is too fast, and I know nothing about vv powders.

I went to the Hodgdon reloading data site and looked up 45 Super as they don't show 45acp+p. 9.0grains nets you 983fps. But they show the pressure using the old crusher system.

Hodgdon data says 9.0gr hits 19.5k cup. The 45acp is spec'd to 19.9kcup. My point is that the 9.0gr load appears to be within standard pressure - not +p and certainly not Super.

Standard disclaimer applies here.

Last edited by dla; 07/28/21.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Some powders have a pressure spike, be careful.

I use AA#5 for +P loads on 185g Gold dots and 200g Speer HP(old flying trash cans)

Contact Wolf or Brownell's for 24 Lb springs or your frame will really take a beating.

Note: use new brass for +P loads

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by keith

I use AA#5 for +P loads on 185g Gold dots and 200g Speer HP(old flying trash cans)

Contact Wolf or Brownell's for 24 Lb springs or your frame will really take a beating.

Do believe a S&W 625 is a revolver. But I do agree that by dropping down to a 200 grain XTP that I can push to 1K + out of a 4” 1911 standard loading is a better way to go as it actually is a better bullet and gives more energy than a 230 @900. The other factor is that Hornady does not use canister powders.

Swifty
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Borderline complete bullshlt.

First of all, why the tard comment about pressure spikes? If you had some actual information you should've explained it.

Secondly, the guy is reloading for a revolver. And if he was loading for a 1911, a 24lb recoil spring is way too much.

Lastly, +p is only 2kpsi above the standard 21kpsi - you dont need new brass.

The only thing that wasn't BS is that AA5 is a good powder for +p in 45acp. But that's not a powder he has available.

Last edited by dla; 07/28/21.
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by dla

First of all, why the tard comment about pressure spikes? If you had some actual information you should've explained it.

Secondly, the guy is reloading for a revolver. And if he was loading for a 1911, a 24lb recoil spring is way too much.

The only thing that wasn't BS is that AA5 is a good powder for +p in 45acp. But that's not a powder he has available.

+P loads can turn into +++P loads, throat geometry, bore dia. Best to use published data only, carefully examine brass case heads, just like you would a rifle. Some powders are not suited for +P loads.

I realize that the guy is reloading for a revolver, but MOST readers will interpret the info on +P for their Glocks, Kimbers, and Colt's.

After a LOT of experimentation, the 24 lb spring is what is best for my Kimbers, and I have a box full of springs AND a Spring Tester. I shoot the 185's at 1200 and the 200's at 1100. I have NO failures using 24 lb springs on 220g hard cast at 850 fps., Recoil velocity of the slide is plenty to cycle and feed.

Used brass is often range pick up brass fired in unsupported Glock chambers. This brass that has been fired in unsupported chambers is prone to KaBoom's. While a KaBoom will completely destroy a Glock, A Kimber of mine only had the magazine blow out the bottom, barrel locked up, but the Pistol never shot the same. So, if you like taking chances with range pick up brass with +P pressures, then go for it. We have seen several KaBoom's over the years in our IDPA matches from Range pick up brass, one brand of foreign manufacturer in particular. Also, you never know how many times range pick up brass has been shot.

While the OP is shooting a nice revolver, the vast majority of readers will apply the info for their semi auto's.

Kaboom's are REAL. Extractors fly to parts unknown, magazine parts will cut your legs. ON plastic pistols, the grips disintegrate.

Be SAFE in your choices, and Kabooms do not happen in a Revolver, that I have ever heard of.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by dla

Pressure spikes are a known phenomenon.
The definition is: When a nice linear charge weight vs chamber pressure curve suddenly trends toward the vertical.

I have documented this in the rifle, specifically 264 Win Mag/early manufacture RL25/ Nosler 140 gr partitions.

I have recently read of similar occurrences using Universal for stout loads in the 38 Super. The source seemed credible.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by dla

Pressure spikes are a known phenomenon.
The definition is: When a nice linear charge weight vs chamber pressure curve suddenly trends toward the vertical.

I have documented this in the rifle, specifically 264 Win Mag/early manufacture RL25/ Nosler 140 gr partitions.

I have recently read of similar occurrences using Universal for stout loads in the 38 Super. The source seemed credible.

And what does that have to do with Hodgdon load data for HS6?
My snarky reply was directed at someone who walked in on a thread without reading first, and then littering with loads of dumbshitica.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went through my period of time trying to magnumize my 45 Colt, 44 Special, 45 acp and 45 auto rim. Didn't find the wear and tear on the handgun and me to be worth it. A 250 grain SWC moving some where around 950 fps out of a 45 Colt should do what ever I wanted it to do. 230 grain SWC out of a 45acp or 45 auto rim and NEI 230 grain SWC out of my 44 Spec 850 to 900 fps with satisfactory accuracy was fine. A high velocity miss is still a miss.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
HS-6 is about as linear as you can get. AA5 is about the same.

24lb springs are rough on a 1911. The slide has to return at some point.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gibby
...24lb springs are rough on a 1911. The slide has to return at some point....

Good point.

I prefer to control the slide speed with a flat Firing pin Stop and the appropriate weight mainspring.

The heavy Recoil springs can slam the slide hard if too heavy.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Originally Posted by Gibby
...24lb springs are rough on a 1911. The slide has to return at some point....

Good point.

I prefer to control the slide speed with a flat Firing pin Stop and the appropriate weight mainspring.

The heavy Recoil springs can slam the slide hard if too heavy.

Same here. That's the way to do it.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by GregK
Through my S&W 625 4" barrel Hornady factory +P 230 gr XTP loads do 909 fps. I'd like to come up with a handload using this same bullet to match that using one of the powders that I have available, HP-38, N-340, HS-6, and 2400. Suggestions?

Western Powders Handloading Guide Edition One and Sierra Manual #VI have +P data for the .45 ACP.
The Sierra manual has data for HP-38 (Win 231) and N340 using Starline cases and WLP primers. Sierra 230 JHP at 1.210" O. L.
Win 231 - max load 6.0 gn - 900 fps
N340 - max load 6.7 gn - 950 fps

HP-38 and Win 231 are the same powder with different brand names. There will be some variation between lot numbers, though.

Cheers,
Walt

One unerring mark of the love of the truth is not entertaining any proposition with greater assurance than the proofs it is built upon will warrant. John Locke, 1690
G
GregK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by wswolf

Western Powders Handloading Guide Edition One and Sierra Manual #VI have +P data for the .45 ACP.
The Sierra manual has data for HP-38 (Win 231) and N340 using Starline cases and WLP primers. Sierra 230 JHP at 1.210" O. L.

HP-38 and Win 231 are the same powder with different brand names. There will be some variation between lot numbers, though.

Cheers,
Walt

Thanks for all the replies, particularly this one. This will be a deer hunting load for occasional use, I load cast bullets for every day working loads. I'll put these up in 45 Auto Rim brass, so they won't find their way into my 1911.

Greg

NRA Life Member, 1990
Life Member, NYSRPA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
…Kabooms do not happen in a Revolver, that I have ever heard of….

Talk about ignorant replys…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by wswolf

Cheers,
Walt

Thanks for all the replies, particularly this one. This will be a deer hunting load for occasional use, I load cast bullets for every day working loads. I'll put these up in 45 Auto Rim brass, so they won't find their way into my 1911.

Brian Pearce has done at least 2 articles on the 45 Auto Rim in Handloader mag. The most recent was in Feb 2017, easily found by Google. It looks to be right in line with what you're after. Don't recall when the older one was published but they've both got a lot of good loads.

G
GregK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Finally got out to the range yesterday. HS-6 with the 230 gr. XTP will safely give me 900 fps. Most accurate load was at 850 fps. Thanks for all the replies.

Greg

NRA Life Member, 1990
Life Member, NYSRPA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice, i load my 1955 Smith 45 ACP/Auto Rim to +P speeds too, fun setups they are, i can forget about trying to be as accurate as that revolver is.

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

268 members (16penny, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 35 invisible), 2,273 guests, and 1,000 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,171
Posts18,465,364
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.