Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Aw shucks! -blush-

Vaughn’s book is a treasure.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We’re getting our geek on now.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gordons Reloading Tool.

Download it. Install it. Use it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by JakeBlues

Don't you have an MS in physics?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman

Actually I have a undergraduate degree in physics and I was about 3 months from finishing an MS when the navy ended my shore duty early and sent me back to sea for 2 1/2 years. That was back when there wasn’t all the distance and online opportunities of course. That was quite a while ago though lol. Most of my studies were focused more towards the nuclear topics. Reactor physics etc. I do like thinking about the ballistic physics like this stuff. Thinking about a bullet flying through the air is a little different than starting with a quantum mechanical wave equation and 50 pages of calculus and differential equations later deriving the ideal gas law.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

That was a tease, like what a high school cheerleader does.

I must say though, I did get out of it that I was right after all....(as if I ever doubted myself...).

Ballistic Coefficient does involve mass, and is also not just a mathematical measurement of how slippery a bullet is. That variable is the drag coefficient which is a big part, but not all of a ballistic coefficient.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Actually I have a undergraduate degree in physics and I was about 3 months from finishing an MS when the navy ended my shore duty early and sent me back to sea for 2 1/2 years. That was back when there wasn’t all the distance and online opportunities of course. That was quite a while ago though lol. Most of my studies were focused more towards the nuclear topics. Reactor physics etc. I do like thinking about the ballistic physics like this stuff. Thinking about a bullet flying through the air is a little different than starting with a quantum mechanical wave equation and 50 pages of calculus and differential equations later deriving the ideal gas law.

That's right, now I remember what you told me.

The general public mostly doesn't understand there are different kinds of physicists and mathematicians just as there are different kinds of medical doctors.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by T_Inman

That was a tease, like what a high school cheerleader does.

I must say though, I did get out of it that I was right after all....(as if I ever doubted myself...).

Ballistic Coefficient does involve mass, and is also not just a mathematical measurement of how slippery a bullet is. That variable is the drag coefficient which is a big part, but not all of a ballistic coefficient.

Exactly mass is definitely a part of BC

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by denton
Ballistic coefficient is a measure of how easily a bullet passes through air. Long slender bullets (6.5x66) tend to have high BCs. Short fat bullets (Elmer Kieth 44) tend to have low BCs. Sharper tips raise BC. Boat tails reduce drag at the rear of the bullet. All published BCs should be taken with a grain of salt.

High BC bullets fly flatter. They also, somewhat surprisingly, experience less wind deflection.

Skinnier profile, less surface area for wind to act upon.

Wind drift is ALL about time of flight. The higher the BC, the more velocity a given projectile will retain, retained velocity = reduced flight time.

The profile doesn't really matter. You can shoot a 6mm and 7mm projectile of the same BC at the same velocity and the wind drift will be the same.

Well, it's not just a matter of a single factor. Wind strength is a factor, velocity, shape of projectile, etc. Given the same projectile weight and velocity, projectile calibre and shape remains a factor.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B

That's right, now I remember what you told me.

The general public mostly doesn't understand there are different kinds of physicists and mathematicians just as there are different kinds of medical doctors.

Like the constipated mathematician who worked it out with a pencil?

Bb

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Doesn't the Barrett 416 have the highest BC of any shoulder fired weapon in the world?

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It has to do with the shape of the bullet and how efficiently it flies thru the air overcoming the friction of the air.

Bullets that are heavy, long and have minimal wind resistance have higher ballistic coefficients. You take the ballistic coefficient and the velocity and plug it into a formula to determine the bullet trajectory.

[Linked Image from ]
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BufordBoone

One effect of excessive stability at long range is that it is likely to cause the bullet to tumble when it transitions the speed of sound.

Interested to hear more as that has not been my experience in testing twists as fast as 1:4 in .308. My experience has been just the opposite.

I have measured improvements in both BC avg and BC SD in faster twist barrels for some (not all) bullets.

Lots of good info in this thread and some bad. Looks like the good is winning out.

Bryan Litz has a great chapter on BC in one of his books. It is a really good read. He is a really good guy. I can't recommend his work more strongly.

Actually measuring BC used to require expensive equipment. No more. The Oehler '89 costs less than a lot of scopes that enthusiasts use.

Spot on! Increased twist definitely increases BC and aids in the supersonic transition to subsonic at very long range

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475

One effect of excessive stability at long range is that it is likely to cause the bullet to tumble when it transitions the speed of sound.

Interested to hear more as that has not been my experience in testing twists as fast as 1:4 in .308. My experience has been just the opposite.

I have measured improvements in both BC avg and BC SD in faster twist barrels for some (not all) bullets.

Lots of good info in this thread and some bad. Looks like the good is winning out.

Bryan Litz has a great chapter on BC in one of his books. It is a really good read. He is a really good guy. I can't recommend his work more strongly.

Actually measuring BC used to require expensive equipment. No more. The Oehler '89 costs less than a lot of scopes that enthusiasts use.

Spot on! Increased twist definitely increases BC and aids in the supersonic transition to subsonic at very long range

I understand what you're saying and why, but the way you've said it is problematic.

BCs can be derived from the physical characteristics like shape, mass, density, etc., and that's what is typically published. It's a nominal or ideal BC.

It's a different story when you actually fire a bullet and monitor its flight in terms of velocity decay. That tells you what your achieved BC was for that particular shot. Achieved BC would definitely be affected by RoT, and it could vary somewhat from shot to shot.

Just wanted to clear that up as it looked like one of those subtle details that get people thoroughly confused to the point of giving up.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Good question. I’m inclined to say no, but it would depend on the definition of frontal area. It is a metric I’ve not seen referenced in calculation.

Cross section area would be R^2 x Pi. My spin on ‘frontal area’ would be the surface area of the bullet nose, tip to caliber diameter of the bullet.

A would be a caliber constant.

yeah I looked at JDM but coulnt find itand a longitudinal cross section does not seem right.
but if you cut a cross section perpendicular to the long axis then you get a circle. which is what I was thinking as frontal area.
I assume the "skin" surface area is part of the drag coefficient.

oh just saw Dentons post thanks
iA is constant for caliber.

and the weight component clarifies a logical fault I have always had while thinking of BC as Cd..
namely that as Cd increases the projectile is less efficient, but BC is inversely related to the rate of velocity loss.

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 07/28/21.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mass and surface area have to be a oart of the solution. Imagine swinging a Japanese style fan around both extended and not. Same fan, but different surface areas....huge difference in wind resistance for the same mass.

The good news is that not very many can shoot into the needs of the second decimal point of BC.....Let alone the third.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Increased twist definitely increases BC and aids in the supersonic transition to subsonic at very long range

Twist rate has nothing to do with BC. It does regulate gyroscopic stability factor, which is a double edged sword.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by RiverRider

I understand what you're saying and why, but the way you've said it is problematic.

BCs can be derived from the physical characteristics like shape, mass, density, etc., and that's what is typically published. It's a nominal or ideal BC.

It's a different story when you actually fire a bullet and monitor its flight in terms of velocity decay. That tells you what your achieved BC was for that particular shot. Achieved BC would definitely be affected by RoT, and it could vary somewhat from shot to shot.

Just wanted to clear that up as it looked like one of those subtle details that get people thoroughly confused to the point of giving up.

Sorry, I'm not following you. My statements were in regard to measurements conducted while actually firing and monitoring projectile flight. Some, with radar, were done with velocity decay. Others, with the Oehler equipment, were done with a velocity measurement and time of flight to a measured distance.

Interestingly enough, when I've participated in simultaneous measurements using radar and an Oehler, both systems gave substantially the same result.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Sorry, I'm not following you. My statements were in regard to measurements conducted while actually firing and monitoring projectile flight. Some, with radar, were done with velocity decay. Others, with the Oehler equipment, were done with a velocity measurement and time of flight to a measured distance.

Interestingly enough, when I've participated in simultaneous measurements using radar and an Oehler, both systems gave substantially the same result.

My comments were more directed at what jwp said. Some who are not yet very familiar with all this might fail to realize the difference between an achieved BC and an ideal, published BC figure. I just wanted to illuminate the subject for tnem.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I do not know if I would call it an ideal BC as much as a theoretical BC.

The math formulas are an attempt to replicate what happens in the real world. They are not 100% accurate though.

We, as shooters would be much better served if the bullet manufacturers would publish real world (observed) BC.

I think Hornady is attempting to address this issue. We know they are at least testing and observing real world BC via doppler radar when they unexpectedly found the BC of their polymer tipped bullets diminishing in flight. This is what led to the development of their new polymer tip material advertised to not melt in flight.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

370 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 32 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,430
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.