Print Thread
Hop To
H
Hubert Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
My Daughter got a Basset hound Pup, she will weigh about 60 lbs when fully grown , she is at 40 lbs now at 8 mos...
Question... she wants to eat everything she can get into her mouth good or bad.. she was camping with them over the weekend, on Mon morning she threw up what would be a large cup of sticks, stones , grass, and other debree..., How can she be trained to only eat proper food. ? she is driving me crazy watching her when she is out side by her self.... I watch her all the time , and she is fed plenty of proper food...but will still eat anything she gets into her mouth...

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's known as "Having a puppy".

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Yep, keep her away from dirty socks. They mostly outgrow it eventually.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When we had one,she chewed up shoes,furniture,tv remote and once me eye glasses.They outgrow it with age.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

True as heck! The "store dog" where I work part time is a Golden, Rottie and Blue Tick, and at about 8 months old it's not unusual to see her with a chunk of asphalt and gravel in her mouth, chewing it up. Obviously, when we see her, we stop it but she's a puppy that's kinda what they do, a lot of 'em anyhow...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's not a trait exclusive to Bassets.

She'll figure it out on her own eventually. Or she won't....

Pictures?

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had Springer that would eat rocks and all kinds of other chit. Cost me $400 to get a whole ham bone out of his gut.

He was stupid but still one of my best friends when I needed one.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
We had a Basset years ago and he ended being 70 pounds but he wasn’t fat, just a little longer legged than the classic Basset. He was the only dog my mother ever let in the house.
I think his “wing span” was almost 30”. 😊
He grabbed a full, round ham slice off the kitchen counter when my mother turned her back one Sunday morning. 🍖 He paid for that mistake…my mother went after him with a rolled up newspaper for about ten minutes.

When our pear tree started dropping pears he’d eat the over-ripe ones, get drunk and run around the yard like a wild man for a while and flop over, passed out. When he woke up he’d do it again. 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=rockinbbar]It's known as "Having a puppy".

AKA "having a cow "

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Give her lots of stuff to chew on. Cow leg bones sliced lengthwise don’t splinter and allow easy access to the marrow.

[Linked Image from ]
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Uncle had one that ate a bag of 6 mepps “0” spinners.
Buddy has one that ate his wife’s panties. I think it cost him $5,000 at the emergency vet clinic.

[bleep] a Bassett.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by navlav8r
We had a Basset years ago and he ended being 70 pounds but he wasn’t fat, just a little longer legged than the classic Basset. He was the only dog my mother ever let in the house.
I think his “wing span” was almost 30”. 😊
He grabbed a full, round ham slice off the kitchen counter when my mother turned her back one Sunday morning. 🍖 He paid for that mistake…my mother went after him with a rolled up newspaper for about ten minutes.

When our pear tree started dropping pears he’d eat the over-ripe ones, get drunk and run around the yard like a wild man for a while and flop over, passed out. When he woke up he’d do it again. 😊

LOL !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Had one that loved fall and corn picking time. He'd spend hours carrying ears of corn that the picker missed/dropped.

Dale

This space for rent

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Uncle had one that ate a bag of 6 mepps “0” spinners.
Buddy has one that ate his wife’s panties. I think it cost him $5,000 at the emergency vet clinic.

[bleep] a Bassett.

Holy fugg that’s Terrible.

I like most any dog. Any breed. Cept for pits. But I’ll give a close second in the negative dept to Bassett’s. Only been around like two in my life. Didn’t like either one. And I don’t think they liked me much either.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Puppy's are Puppy's

We have (2) Jack Russel's 5 years old
The Boy Buddy thinks that he is a Beaver.
He brings Sticks and Palm Frowns in the house and proceeds to chew them up and eat them and he will steel my handkerchiefs and chew them up if I leave them around.
Our little girl Flirt acts more like a cat than a dog.

Dogs have personality's and some do what they do even with training.
But Puppy's are Puppy's ya gotta watchm 24/7

Last edited by funshooter; 07/30/21.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 57 invisible), 2,737 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,912
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.