Print Thread
Hop To
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I got a 2021 Honda Pioneer 500 coming in a couple of weeks and wanting to put some better tires on it than the factory tires
What would be some good tires to put on it?
I am wanting to use the Factory rims and probably a 27 inch tire.
Something similar to a tractor tread,self cleaning
To be used in fields with rice and bean stubble
Don’t want a tire that will puncture easy in the stubble.

Thanks

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Regardless of the tread pattern, you do want something with a high void to tread ratio and some tall tread blocks. I was buying tires last year and was tempted to buy one of the new mud tires that looks like a truck mudder radial, but I didn't like the closely spaced tread blocks. They are supposed to be smooth on trails and roads, but I don't ride much road. I wound up going with the ITP Blackwater, 28x10 on all corners (larger machine). I heard very little bad about them, they are fairly light for their size, puncture resistant, and don't pack easily in the mud (big voids). I'd buy them again. ITP and Maxxis are my preferred brands these days. My father made the mistake of putting a lighter load-rated Interco Swamp Lite on his 800cc Ranger and has replaced several. They weren't cut out for use on a heavy machine. Pay attention to appropriate load-rating numbers also.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

JPro, Do they throw mud, real bad? we have taken the mud tires off the front of our SXS, they will fill up the back seat with mud, can't tell if yours is 4 seat or a 2 seat from the picture. Rio7

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RIO7

JPro, Do they throw mud, real bad? we have taken the mud tires off the front of our SXS, they will fill up the back seat with mud, can't tell if yours is 4 seat or a 2 seat from the picture. Rio7

It's been my experience that nearly any tire that cleans out well tends to throw mud. This machine is a short-wheelbase crew cab, with a backseat that slides up to make a single-cab with a long bed. Perhaps it is the steering geometry and the fenders/doors, but I don't get a ton of mud in the cab.

And those GBC tires that tikkanut mentions were also on my radar when I was buying tires. The shop I ordered from didn't carry the Spartacus, but I was reading good things on them. Couldn't find any real downside on them, other than availability. I don't think they make a 27" version though.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
https://www.csttires.com/us/tire/wild-thang/

I have these on my Pioneer 1000. They will definitely sling mud, and they do self clean very well. Not the best choice for hard packed surfaces, but 80% of the terrain I traverse is red Georgia clay, nasty stuff when wet.

Just be cautious about going oversize on a smaller engine, they rob a lot of torque and you'll be more likely to bog down with a grippy tire like this.

Last edited by badger; 07/28/21.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by badger
https://www.csttires.com/us/tire/wild-thang/

I have these on my Pioneer 1000. They will definitely sling mud, and they do self clean very well. Not the best choice for hard packed surfaces, but 80% of the terrain I traverse is red Georgia clay, nasty stuff when wet.

Just be cautious about going oversize on a smaller engine, they rob a lot of torque and you'll be more likely to bog down with a grippy tire like this.

That is a good looking tire but I think it would probably be too much for the 500
I would like something like that but like a 27x7 with a good puncture resistance(6 ply ?)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only a 7" wide tire? That seems really narrow. I'd want a 9 or 10 inch wide. Might look at a 26" tire with good tread depth, as the 500 Pioneer only comes with a 24" tire from the factory. I had 26" deep-tread Mud-Lite XL tires on a 350cc quad and my buddy had the 27" version on the same machine. The bikes came with 24's and we should have bought the 25" deep tread XL version. 26" was certainly all it wanted in mud, due to the limited torque available from the smaller powerplant. Easy to bog it down, like badger says. Your machine will be 500CC, but also 70% heavier.

And I should add that the tires my father has had fits with on his Ranger 800 are the Interco Radial Reptile, not the Swamp Lite. He had the Swamp Lite on a quad and they were fine.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by JPro
Regardless of the tread pattern, you do want something with a high void to tread ratio and some tall tread blocks. I was buying tires last year and was tempted to buy one of the new mud tires that looks like a truck mudder radial, but I didn't like the closely spaced tread blocks. They are supposed to be smooth on trails and roads, but I don't ride much road. I wound up going with the ITP Blackwater, 28x10 on all corners (larger machine). I heard very little bad about them, they are fairly light for their size, puncture resistant, and don't pack easily in the mud (big voids). I'd buy them again. ITP and Maxxis are my preferred brands these days. My father made the mistake of putting a lighter load-rated Interco Swamp Lite on his 800cc Ranger and has replaced several. They weren't cut out for use on a heavy machine. Pay attention to appropriate load-rating numbers also.

I think for the 500 probably something like that but a 27x7 with a good puncture resistance .
Did you go with a Bias or a radial ?

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Only a 7" wide tire? That seems really narrow. I'd want a 9 or 10 inch wide. Might look at a 26" tire with good tread depth, as the 500 Pioneer only comes with a 24" tire from the factory. I had 26" deep-tread Mud-Lite XL tires on a 350cc quad and my buddy had the 27" version on the same machine. The bikes came with 24's and we should have bought the 25" deep tread XL version. 26" was certainly all it wanted in mud, due to the limited torque available from the smaller powerplant. Easy to bog it down, like badger says. Your machine will be 500CC, but also 70% heavier.

And I should add that the tires my father has had fits with on his Ranger 800 are the Interco Radial Reptile, not the Swamp Lite. He had the Swamp Lite on a quad and they were fine.

Well I am thinking that with the 27 I would get a little more ground clearance and with the 7 inch wide tire or maybe 8 that it would not bog the little 500 down.
Also thinking about just going with the same tire all around the Machine ?

Do you think the little 500 will handle the 9 inch without bogging down ?

Last edited by bcraig; 07/28/21.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I'm not mistaken, that machine, like most, comes with wider rear wheels than front. I'd probably stick with factory width if using the factory wheels, but bump up the tire diameter a bit and go with something more aggressive. You might check out the Honda forums and see if folks are having enough power to turn the 27's well, versus the 26's. You do have a paddle-shift mode on that model, which helps if you are keeping RPM's up on purpose.

Last edited by JPro; 07/28/21.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve hunted in prairie gumbo mud with my 800 ranger.

Bighorn 2.0 tires.

They do well.

IMO it’s ok to use aggressive tires if you do t travel same path a lot.

We road trials. Big tired would just make them worse. ESP after 4 months of deer season.

The bighorns did well. A few times i pulled a winch rope. Those times were on slick hills.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

My SXS does not have doors, and i am sure that's the 1 reason for the mud in the seats, my fault i dislike doors on anything i am using for hunting or trapping. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bcraig

Well I am thinking that with the 27 I would get a little more ground clearance and with the 7 inch wide tire or maybe 8 that it would not bog the little 500 down.
Also thinking about just going with the same tire all around the Machine ?

Do you think the little 500 will handle the 9 inch without bogging down ?
I would be more concerned about the weight of the tires than the size when it comes to that 500 engine, I ran 26x10x10's Mudlites all the way around on my old 450 Foreman and never had an issue. Unless you have wheel spacers i'd be careful about running such narrow tires (7") as it will make your machine tippy when cornering.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

384 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 47 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,001
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.