Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I talked to a local smith about bedding the stock of a Remington KS. He's a big fan of Acraglas. I assumed it was old school with Devcon or Marine Tex being the better compounds.

What are your thoughts on Acraglas?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
All I have ever used is Acraglass Jel. I have never had a reason to change. It is also handy around the house to repair all kinds of things.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Acraglas Gel has always worked for me and I've used it on about 15-20 rifles. My shooting buddy swear by Steel Bed.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
It works good fixing furniture. Look up the tensile strength on Acraglas and then look at the spec sheet for Devcon or Probed.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by StudDuck
I talked to a local smith about bedding the stock of a Remington KS. He's a big fan of Acraglas. I assumed it was old school with Devcon or Marine Tex being the better compounds.

I've used it for over 20 years and have had ZERO issues with it..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If your need is for a semi-flexible bedding compound where stability isn't the primary goal, either AcraGlas or AcraGlas Gel is your ticket.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
If your need is for a semi-flexible bedding compound where stability isn't the primary goal, either AcraGlas or AcraGlas Gel is your ticket.

WTH are you talking about, Al... While AG does take a couple days to fully set up, once that's done it ain't goin' nowhere..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
It is all I have ever used as well with zero issues.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Redneck
WTH are you talking about, Al... While AG does take a couple days to fully set up, once that's done it ain't goin' nowhere..

Relative to other bedding compounds, it is more 'flexible', due to the Nylon in it.

Now, that's neither good or bad...depends on the application.

I still use the Gel in some situations.

Good shootin'. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It will work fine but in my opinion there are a few better options. Steel bed is my favorite, pro bed is good as well as marine tex. Some are thicker and are a bit easier to work with as well as being a 50/50 mix. But they will all work.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I too am a longtime Acraglas Gel user. No issues ever.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Relative to other bedding compounds, it is more 'flexible', due to the Nylon in it.

Good shootin'. -Al
Just curious, but you do know that you can add steel to AG if the owner desires, right? I've got about three or so cans of various steel additions to AG that I can use..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just curious, but you do know that you can add steel to AG if the owner desires, right? I've got about three or so cans of various steel additions to AG that I can use..

Yes, I've doctored it up in the past to get it where I wanted it.....powdered tungsten worked the best. In the end, I chose to move to compounds that were more stable to begin with.

The Texas Bureau Of Standards did some independent testing of various bedding compounds that, while a bit dated, is still relevant when comparing older compounds to the newer ones.

Good shootin'. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have been bedding rifles in Acraglas (but not the gel) for fifty years. I dislike the gel because it is degraded by Hoppes#9. This is an unforgivable shortcoming IMO! By the way, the same thing applies to Devcon Steel or EK-10. Great product but Hoppes will degrade them. I have not tested Belzona or Marine-tex with Hoppes. Since 1971, I have used Acraglas, Glasbed, Devcon Steel, JB Weld, Acraglas gel, Bisonite, Belzona, and various other generic epoxies. My first choice is still Acraglas. GD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only used plain Acraglas, never tried the gel.
It's runny, gotta work around that.

Have tried The Midway kit (Rimrock?).
Now that stuff was flexible. (Never seen soft Acraglas,myself)
Not impressed at all.

Have used to slow setting JB Weld.
Seemed fine. I don't really tear guns apart to evaluate bedding over time.

Also used Devcon from the hardware store in a pinch on one.
Again, happy.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have used Acraglas, Acraglas Gel, Devcon Steel, Devcon Alum., and Marine-Tex.
I did not like how runny the Acraglas was, and Devcon lost their mind on cost so I now use Marine-Tex and Acraglas gel. for most of what I do.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks all, I appreciate the input.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Good shootin'. -Al

It's not nylon. It's colloidal silica. You can buy it separately from mainly places.

I've used West System epoxy for many years. Thickened with colloidal silica and, if you prefer, some powdered metals, it's no different than any of the other epoxies sold as bedding compound.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by StudDuck

I've used it for over 20 years and have had ZERO issues with it.

40 year tho probably not as much as Lee.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
It's not nylon. It's colloidal silica. You can buy it separately from mainly places.

I've used West System epoxy for many years. Thickened with colloidal silica and, if you prefer, some powdered metals, it's no different than any of the other epoxies sold as bedding compound.

The MSDS sheet I have from Brownell's does list Nylon as a component. They have to be updated every three years...the newer one doesn't list any individual components of the product.

Yep...fumed/colloidal silica is commonly used as a thickening agent in two part epoxies and I use it where applicable. Pro Bed includes it with their kits, as do others. Interestingly, Brownells advises against the addition of any "flocking agents" to AcraGlas.

Lots of products out there that work well. And many that shouldn't be used. If your taking a gun to a professional to be bedded, I would always advise using what they are familiar and comfortable with. cool

Good shootin'. -Al

P.S. I'm pulling a 'glue in' apart shortly...always interesting to see the approaches used with those. wink

Forbidden Zoner
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 405joe, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,381 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.