Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I’m relatively new to walleye fishing, having only been out a half dozen times trying to catch them in the Columbia River system. I’ve had most of my success with jigs and drifting with bait. However, I just can’t seem to catch any while trolling, especially with bottom bouncers and spinners. I’ve tried anywhere from 0.5 to 1 mph using smile blades and slow death hooks. Ive tried from 10 to 50 feet of water. All sorts of colors, and various lengths of worm and scents. I fished from 0530 to 1300 on Banks Lake in E. WA without a single bite from something other than a bass. Just as I said “[bleep] this!” We got a 25 inch walleye. Then a smaller 20 incher. Then, not another bite. Caught a few more bass and called it a defeat. I probably could have caught a few with jigs, but I really wanted to figure out trolling. Any pointers?

GB2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Have you tried minnows or leeches?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
In my state, rules on using bait are kind of strict. You can only use leeches if the lake has leeches and you capture them from that lake. You can’t use minnows or other live fish as bait. Its rare to find a tackle shop that sells leeches.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've gotten caught in the rocks more with bottom bouncers than otherwise.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Worms are the only live bait allowed in Utah, too. Walleye can just be weird at times. If they aren't hitting on bottom, they may be suspended. When they do that, they won't do down to hit a lure, but they will hit one at their depth or above them. Recently, at one of our local reservoirs, the walleye were all at six feet in 12 feet of water. None on the bottom. Crankbaits trolled or cast would get hits but not bottom bouncers. Next day, after a wind storm, they were back hitting bouncers and worms.

If allowed, try casting a diving crank or lipless crank around the boat while you drift a bottom bouncer. Or put out a slip float rig with a jig and worm set for about half the water depth.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My BIL kills them with bouncers and slow deaths in SD. He doesn’t run a smiley blade or beads, nothing but a hook and a worm. I think I remember him saying he sets his trolling motor to run a little under .5 mph.

He likes to fish right off weed edges in 4 to 10 feet of water. And I’m talking right on the weeds, <2ft from the vegetation.

My boat doesn’t have a trolling motor but I do well drifting in light winds with worms and bouncers. I use the gas motor to position myself upwind of rock piles or ledges and let the wind do the rest. I find that fishing one rod held in my hand results in more hookups than using the rod holders. That way when you feel a bite you can feed him some slack before gently setting the hook when you feel him gulp it down.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Are you sure that you are trolling in productive water? 90% of the lake has only 10% of the fish and 10% of the lake has 90% of the fish. We trolled spinner and worm or sucker strips or crank baits to find fish, but once we found them we worked over those areas hard with jigs. We had one 1/2 mile stretch up in Canada where nearly all of our 25" and over fish came out of. They aren't always where you think they are either. Back when I was scuba diving I went looking for walleyes out in the 15 and deeper water. Not finding any I went into shallow water to see some pan fish and found the walleyes in less than 5' of water backed in like buses under logs with just their heads out of the direct sunlight.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I’m relatively sure we are in good water because I am able to switch tactics and catch fish. I just want to dial in the bottom bouncer method so I can get less experienced people on fish. I’m not taking another 1/2 oz jig to the face!

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Bottom bouncers? Lots to tell, feel free to ask questions. I've only used them successfully for 35 years.

Hints: Generally speaking one oz per 10' of water. More weight necessary as speeds increase. Keep them tight to the boat, lines at a 45 degree angle. If you drag them, you defeat the purpose. I generally use 1-1/2oz bouncers to about 30' but most people are not as experienced with them as I am. If you're trolling, have the people in the front use heavier and the people in the back lighter, helps with tangles.

I catch most of my fish on a bare hook and half a crawler. No need ever to use the whole worm. Pinch it in half and put it on there, use the other half when you rebait. Slow death is great. 3-4' is good but 2' or 6' can be game changing. Two and three hook harnesses are unnecessary and just provide more snags and tangles.

Sometimes a bead, sometimes a blade. Experiment that day, each day, with blades, beads and snell length. More wind and waves generally = bigger flashier blades but not always. Flatter water = smaller or no blade at all. Lately I've used painted bouncers with success, I think they make a difference over plain lead.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Bottom bouncers? Lots to tell, feel free to ask questions. I've only used them successfully for 35 years.

Hints: Generally speaking one oz per 10' of water. More weight necessary as speeds increase. Keep them tight to the boat, lines at a 45 degree angle. If you drag them, you defeat the purpose. I generally use 1-1/2oz bouncers to about 30' but most people are not as experienced with them as I am. If you're trolling, have the people in the front use heavier and the people in the back lighter, helps with tangles.

I catch most of my fish on a bare hook and half a crawler. No need ever to use the whole worm. Pinch it in half and put it on there, use the other half when you rebait. Slow death is great. 3-4' is good but 2' or 6' can be game changing. Two and three hook harnesses are unnecessary and just provide more snags and tangles.

Sometimes a bead, sometimes a blade. Experiment that day, each day, with blades, beads and snell length. More wind and waves generally = bigger flashier blades but not always. Flatter water = smaller or no blade at all. Lately I've used painted bouncers with success, I think they make a difference over plain lead.

From this, I’m already picking up on some mistakes I made. The lake I was on had no wind with visibility down to 25 feet. We used 2oz and 3oz bouncers down to 50 feet. I don’t think we were dragging, just a tick on the bottom ever few seconds. I should have gone with something more subtle or deconstructed some of the rigs to make then less bulky/flashy.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
50' is crazy deep to be using bouncers or anything else really. If they're down that deep, then you're looking at a spot on the spot kind of bite and should be thinking jigging raps as a vertical presentation. Bouncers are a horizontal type of presentation, not as much as trolling cranks is but still a method to cover water. Fish at 50' aren't likely moving around such that bouncers would be effective. That's a jigging kind of bite calling for a vertical presentation most likely.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Bottom bouncers can really be a pain if depth and bottom structure vary widely. Trying to maintain contact with the bottom under those circumstances will either have you lose contact or snag up between rocks when you attempt to let out line and the bouncer lies down, With any length of line behind the bouncer, bringing the fish to net or boat gets interesting.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
That's right, no style of fishing is set it and forget it.

Snells of up to 6' are easily managed, I use 7' baitcasting rods for my bouncers. Then I tell the reeler to "back up" and get between him/her and the fish to net it.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
This lake is kind of odd in that the banks are steep all around the lake. The water will go from 0 to 30 feet deep within 15 feet of shore. Real popular with the cliff jumpers. There is a shelf at 30 feet deep that creates flats that go for miles. Then, it drops to 50 to 75 feet deep in the old river channel. Besides points, it’s really featureless and has very little vegetation. Really clear water. We only got bites in the transition from 30 to 50 feet. We were constantly adjusting depth to keep contact with the bottom and to prevent dragging. Maybe it just wasn’t a good day to learn that technique.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
We use the same netting technique with salmon when trolling with downriggers or using divers. We use trolling rods that are 9 to 10 feet and the guy on the reel is fighting from between the consoles and I’m netting from the stern.

For walleye, I’ve been using 7’6” to 8’0” rods to troll.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B

Your lake screams out crank baits and snap weights or lead core line to me. techniques like they use at LOW and Green Bay and Erie.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I halfway thought about using downriggers.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
They use them successfully on LOW trolling 30' flats. Might want to watch some you tubes on it.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I’ll check it out, thanks!

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I use home made snap wieghts allowing easy depth changes and speed changes. Not too good over rocky bottoms until you have a track laid down and and can follow it closely. Best for suspended fish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
739 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,764
Posts18,401,436
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.