Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by zcm82
I take it this guy is well known?

Tommy Guns, or the guy who buys guns off proxibid and flips them thru Tommy's shop? But yes.. both. Tommy Guns advertises guns for far over what would be considered retail, and they sell. For how much we don't know. If anybody here wants guns, buy them off of auction and not after the price gets jacked up 250%.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 99guy
I don't begrudge the man. Any of us could have bought those guns and done the same thing.

What I would really like to know is the actual selling price on the guns he puts up. Easy enough to see on gunbroker but not so cut and dry on GI. Are people paying full price? Or is there some room for negotiations in the asking price?

I've never bought a gun from them...

Tom lists his guns as consignment guns for the most part. I have bought several from him and have paid the long dollar each time. He does NOT sell junk and he comes up with some pretty hard to find ones. The K in 250-3000 with the 24" barrel, and a checkered F in 30-30 win are the last 2 I bought from him. He is great to talk to and by no means hard to deal with. I think for the most part you pay his price. Any others want to step up and elaborate?

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think the guy knows Savage 99’s as well as most of anyone selling regularly, he gets way better guns to list than anyone and he is the only guy that will consistently call u if ur on a list looking for a certain gun. On pricing, you think his clients are bitching, no way! If you don’t like the prices step aside. Far as anyone with a bunch of 99’s is concerned he should be getting thank you notes for keeping the prices where someone can actually make a buck!

Free country if the price is to high step aside or make a offer And see what happens, but most are too cheap And just are keyboard bandits. This is not 1960 get over it the hang tag on one of my PE’s is $385!

Capt. John
www.autumnwings.com
www.txduckhunts.com - "The Home of Quack and Squeal Hunts"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So... I should be thanking the guys that bought all the ammo and powder out of the stores for 18 months so they could resell it at a gun show making themselves a huge profit? Because it made my ammo, that I'm not selling, more valuable?

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I'm lucky enough to live where they're pretty low demand, so usually when a 99 pops up in an LGS, the prices are relatively low. The flip side is you just don't see very many. I have seen 3 since I got interested in Savages about 4-5 years ago and I own 2 of them. The other I had no interest in a few months ago, but the price was more than fair compared to what I've seen them selling for online.

(added) Gotta agree with Calhoun on that. The price gouging this go-around has gotten pretty ridiculous, and is partly self-driven by extreme scalping as well as supply shortage.

Last edited by zcm82; 10/05/21. Reason: addition
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's not worth getting emotional about any of this. Nothing that's happening is wrong, or even ethically improper in our wonderfully capitalist country.

I just wish I could locate a few buyers who want 95% 99R's in 300 Savage for $1900. I'd sell them... Daddy needs a new Leader Grade!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Calhoun
So... I should be thanking the guys that bought all the ammo and powder out of the stores for 18 months so they could resell it at a gun show making themselves a huge profit? Because it made my ammo, that I'm not selling, more valuable?

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Amen.

And whatever happened to "we're all in this together"? When schit is hitting the fan, I guess all thoughts of solidarity go out the window and "I got mine, screw you" becomes the new norm. Sad.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
It's not worth getting emotional about any of this. Nothing that's happening is wrong, or even ethically improper in our wonderfully capitalist country.

I just wish I could locate a few buyers who want 95% 99R's in 300 Savage for $1900. I'd sell them... Daddy needs a new Leader Grade!

Try an online listing? If that one sold, maybe yours would too.

With the prices the old 340/840 rifles are going for these days vs what I paid for it, I am seriously considering selling mine to partially fund another 99. I hardly ever shoot the thing, anyway.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wasn't even 2 years ago (pre covid) you couldn't even give a high condition post war R away. There was one on gunbroker for $550 for months and months that didn't sell.

This thing goes up and and it goes down...as any of us that have been in this a while know.

Buy low, sell high. wink

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dick & Craig
Wildwood

Now.. Tommy Guns

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Dick & Craig
Wildwood

Now.. Tommy Guns

Really?? Very interesting...

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Dick & Craig
Wildwood

Now.. Tommy Guns

My 1899A came from Wildwood, have their prices gone way up? I haven't really been in the market lately to look around. I got mine fairly cheap.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Once upon a time they were really high. That was quite a while ago, at least it’s been quite a while since I was at a gun show looking at an overpriced 99 and heard “That’s what Wildwood sells them for”. grin

And I even bought one from them a couple years ago, after years of swearing I never would.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Dick & Craig
Wildwood

Now.. Tommy Guns

Really?? Very interesting...

In regards to sellers using them to set gun prices. I don’t think the first two ever bought up lots of guns off of auctions.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dick & Craig
Wildwood

Now.. Tommy Guns

Rory, come on man. You can not put Dick and Craig anywhere CLOSE to the class of firearms Tom Mitchell offers. To the best of my knowledge Dick and Craig aren't in business together anymore. Those two were absolute shysters'.

I think you'd be hard pressed to be unhappy with the quality gun you'd get from TG. I sold Craig a T in 300 for a grand (only because I replaced it with a mint one). And the last I knew he was trying to turn it for 2K.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Once upon a time they were really high. That was quite a while ago, at least it’s been quite a while since I was at a gun show looking at an overpriced 99 and heard “That’s what Wildwood sells them for”. grin

And I even bought one from them a couple years ago, after years of swearing I never would.

They just had what I was looking for in my budget. I was actually looking for a 30-30, but they had a handful of 303s for lower prices. I ended up buying a different one than I had contacted them to purchase. Cosmetically it is in better shape than what I was going to buy, but it needed a rotor spring and sights, so I got it quite a bit cheaper. It's no collector piece by any means, but I was looking for a shooter/hunting rifle.

It was just under $400 including the shipping, Feb 2020. Shoots better than I do, so I'm happy. It's probably my favorite rifle now, just put 20 rounds through it yesterday.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everybody has the right to ask whatever they want for their guns and everybody has the right to buy or pass.

I don't think any longer or harder about it than that.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Sorry but what was John’s name on 24hr ?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
cmhjohn

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Tom is a heck of a nice guy. He helped me on something he didn't have to. He's living the dream and I think most of the guys complaining are just jealous.

LOL
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 3,001 guests, and 1,403 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,659
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.