Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
The Ohio auction house shipped my purchase And was wrapped with three layers of wrap in a gun shipping box with ends packed, it would of took slot to hurt was impressed. Hard cases within a box are really good too.

Capt. John
www.autumnwings.com
www.txduckhunts.com - "The Home of Quack and Squeal Hunts"
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 99guy
Originally Posted by Calhoun
It shouldn’t require packing reminiscent of delivering nuclear materials to get a package safely thru a common carrier.
It shouldn't but it does.

Plan accordingly.
95% of the time, I can’t. That’s just the truth. You think Roy has been the victim only because he didn’t make the shippers pack guns right? No.

A guy can ask, but in the end almost every seller is going to ship the guns the way they’ve always shipped guns. You’re not going to get Joe Schmoe in a gun or pawn shop to spend 90 minutes constructing a safe shipping continue.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It shouldn’t require packing reminiscent of delivering nuclear materials to get a package safely thru a common carrier.

Plan accordingly.
95% of the time, I can’t. That’s just the truth. You think Roy has been the victim only because he didn’t make the shippers pack guns right? No.

A guy can ask, but in the end almost every seller is going to ship the guns the way they’ve always shipped guns. You’re not going to get Joe Schmoe in a gun or pawn shop to spend 90 minutes constructing a safe shipping continue.

Having guns shipped to you is a risk you have to be able to live with. These carriers handle millions of packages every day. Every employee, every office, every truck driver is under a microscope. And the companies, USPS included don't care how much stuff gets damaged, they only care how much stuff gets delivered. And they can't afford to fire people because there is nobody to replace them. It's just collateral damage to them. Maybe we broke 2 things but we got a thousand delivered. Like a bomb that kills 10 civilians but gets 100 bad guys. It's a game of numbers. That's it. Whining about it won't change it. It's business.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wait… which is it? The guns are damaged because they aren’t packaged right? Or there’s just a percentage of packages that are going to be damaged because the employees don’t give a crap?

And, if as you say, there’s just crappy employees involved.. we have no right to be upset?

Hmm.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wait… which is it? The guns are damaged because they aren’t packaged right? Or there’s just a percentage of packages that are going to be damaged because the employees don’t give a crap?

Hmm.

All of the above. No use complaing about it. It is what it is. When I buy a gun and it needs to be shipped, I know I am taking a chance on it getting to me safely.

This thread has really gone off into the weeds.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
If I buy a firearm and it’s being shipped to my FFL , I always ship the seller a Storm/Pelican case BEFORE the item gets shipped to me (on my dime) like the style Long Beard King posted .

Included is 2 Master locks to lock the outside of the case . I get a key and he gets a key . He puts his key in the case before locking the padlocks . These cases are the best and toughest made . Large for rifles/shotguns and a small for pistols . Those cheap Doskocil/Plano Walmart affairs aren’t worth the time or effort …. Heck , the ones offered from Harbor Freight are much better if you actually need to clip coupons and are half the cost of the Storms/Pelicans .

Shipping firearms that are irreplaceable in cardboard boxes (regardless of the bubble wrap) baffles me knowing full well how these carriers treat our packages . There will always be guys who will gripe about the prospect of having to spend extra $$ shipping these empty cases to the seller before he ships as they purchase guns that are worth thousands and thousands of dollars .

You’re going to spend that money on Advil/Tylenol/Excedrin if the firearm comes in destroyed .

Step over a dollar to pick up a dime .

Last edited by bulkie_roll; 10/08/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
bulkie, I agree on rifles that are worth multi-thousands of dollars. Don't blame a guy at all for spending what amounts to a small percentage of the purchase price on "expensive" shipping. Heck, I'd probably drive 10-12 hours to pick up a really top of the line irreplaceable gun rather than ship it at all.

But my guns aren't in that range. That'd often be a 15%+ fee on each gun purchase I make.

At some point a buyer has to presume that a seller called "Rush2Arms" knows how to safely ship guns from their auction. And I didn't see the box, so I don't know if it was poorly packed in a box, or if it was extremely poor handling by the shippers that caused it to be destroyed. But bubblewrap has saved a good number of guns that have been shipped to me.

From what I'm hearing, other rifles shipped from this auction are showing up in good shape. So sounds like it just might be my shippers.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
No , I understand what you’re saying . If you’re in the business of selling and shipping firearms , you should have the common sense/know-how to do it properly/professionally . Some of you folks have acquired some mighty rare/fine pieces .

I agree with you regarding driving up to 10 hours to pick something up . Most definitely .

The more you use the premium hard case to ship firearms , the cost ( $150 -$300 ) of the hard case is dissolved into much of nothing . I have used mine at least two dozen times which will equate to about an extra $12-$15 per shipment . Small taters .

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bulkie_roll
The more you use the premium hard case to ship firearms , the cost ( $150 -$300 ) of the hard case is dissolved into much of nothing . I have used mine at least two dozen times which will equate to about an extra $12-$15 per shipment . Small taters .

I can hit $8 real quick just shipping 2 pocket reference books. What's it cost to ship a large hard case halfway across the country? I was expecting to hear $40 or more.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
That's about right for an individual .

It's a different rate for businesses/corporations than it is for the average Joe .

Not worth it for a $300 rifle that can be replaced , but would do it for a $300 that can't be replaced like my mint Savage 1904 Boy's rifle.

Last edited by bulkie_roll; 10/08/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I need to break down and buy one of those. Might pick one out for the wife to get me for Christmas. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Pelican gun vault that I use when I travel on airlines with guns.

It never occured to me to send it to somebody before they ship me a gun.

That's a pretty darn good idea.... smile

~Admiral Yamamoto~

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Plan accordingly.

After I hit the post button, on my shipping rant, I stood up and walked into the living room, and just started chuckling. This box was setting on the couch. So, I sat on it. No butt impression, then I put it on the floor and stood on it, no Krock impressions. Not saying who shipped it, but, it did make it from Oregon to MD with no tire tracks or Go-Rilla prints on it. You don't have to go to the welding shop and have a 10 gauge steel box made. Every body says, "I wrapped it in bubble Wrap".. Take a 6' piece of bubble wrap and try to hold it out like a broom stick, you can't. So if your box is stuffed with BW, it will still bend in half. Put 4 broom sticks along the inside of the box, and pack it tight with bubble wrap, then you cant bend the box. I've taken the loppers down in the woods and cut 4, 1" Sassafras poles and put them in boxes. It doesn't take a lot of money, just some thought on how to make it rigid. As was said above, you can't make the shipper do it right. And as Randy just learned, sending a good case ahead, is a "pretty darn good idea."
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I received my three from the auction, all in one box, my ffl said they couldn't have done a better job.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

Got my pieces all packed very good

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Another of John's guns being resold, this time from a seller named BGSUBMARINE. Really poor pictures. I've seen him advertise a lot of guns in the past on GI, you'd think he could take better pictures.

100 1899C 303 96614 750[/code]

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...aliber-half-octagon.cfm?gun_id=101758204

Proxibid picture:
[Linked Image from images.proxibid.com]

GI picture:
[Linked Image from images.gunsinternational.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Was that RMEF rifle currently on the auction site his?

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, Tommy Guns is selling John's RMEF.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/913278241

Not to continually beat a dead horse, but this gun sold just at John's estate auction for $2950 plus 18% juice plus shipping and handling.

So something just under $3600.

So to the new owner, $6120 plus sales tax plus shipping.

Damn. Some deep pockets in the game right now...

Last edited by 99guy; 10/25/21.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 78 invisible), 2,677 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,686
Posts18,399,755
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.