-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About 25 years ago when I was still new to the DFW area, I was looking for a gun club to join. One afternoon I drove over to Haltom City Rifle and Pistol Club thinking I'd get a chance to shoot a little as a guest (and maybe join up). When I got there only one guy was shooting but he invited me in. He introduced himself as Jim Carmichel and I didn't make the connection at that moment. Nice fellow, whoever he was. I can't be sure that he wasn't the esteemed gun writer, to be honest, but I've often wondered. I don't know why he'd have been in this neck of the woods but you never know.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jim gets credit for the development work of the 260 that led to its adoption as a commercial cartridge by Remington. But people forget that he also wrote about and developed a 6.5 based on an improved 250 Savage case.
That cartridge to which he also gave a cat name ,was just about identical to the 6.5 Creedmoor of today.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by RickF
Originally Posted by bonecrusher338

Can you ask him if he will write another book on Hunting rifles,"The Modern Rifle" was great, however it is a little outdated, some great info. though.

Do you have 'Book of the Rifle'? He wrote it about 1985, perhaps 10 years after the Modern Rifle. Also a good book.

Read it cover to cover about five times soon after publication. I used to collect Jim's cartridge profile columns from OL. They were a great guide to a young man lusting after his first rifle, when the knowledge base of his known world thought a person needed two guns. A 30-06 for meat, and a 22 lr for birds.

I was 16 before I ever tasted a pheasant not head shot with a 22 rifle.

I always had a world of respect for Mr Carmichel, and all of his writing. I would love the opportunity to shake his hand.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Always enjoyed his Book of the Modern Rifle still have it. I also had Herb in Jonesboro re blue a Pre War Model 70 300 H&H Mag and glass bed it and refinish the stock. Sorry to hear he passed.
I travel to Johnson City quite a bit for work and wish I would run into him, as I would like to buy him a drink and visit with him as he has a wealth of knowledge.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
i see one of Jim's rifles is for sale on GB

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Carmichael is a class act. In his book "Classic Carmichel" (they misspelled it) there's an article "The Great Jonesboro Pigeon Shoot". It is a humor piece and a very good one. He's one of the writers that I've enjoyed for many years. He is also one of the few writers that has competed for many years and has enjoyed a lot of success at it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm going to put my Carmichel books on Classified. The Modern Rifle (a bit beat up), two copies of The Book of the Rifle, and Just Jim (paperback, also a bit rough).

Thinning the herd, and they need a good home.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was a teen in the 80's and my appetite for all things firearm was growing to meet my appetite for all things fishing. Through a buddy whose dad was a subscriber to several outdoor magazines, I learned about Outdoor Life and asked for a subscription as a birthday gift. I received it for several years, and I still remember walking to the mailbox with crossed fingers, hoping that it had been a month already, and that my next copy would be inside, waiting for me. It almost never was.

Carmichel's column was one of my favorites, even though so much of the information was over my head. I suspect it was as much his skill as a writer that kept me reading articles that I didn't fully understand as the content itself. At least 3 Carmichel stories still occupy space in my cluttered brain - "Killing" a crocodile in Africa with a borrowed .243 is one of them. I believe this was a featured story and not one of his column submissions.

Another is his tale if being snowed in on a hunt in Iran(?). He was hunting with his custom .280 Remington and, suffering from a case of cabin fever, sent a "particularly ornery looking" crow off to the crow afterlife from a few hundred yards away. This story had teenaged me babbling for months about how I was going to own a .280 one day. This did not come to pass, but I do own a 7-08.

The third Carmichel story I recall well is his description of the development of the .22 CHeetah, (the capital C and H standing for the 2 main collaborators, Carmichel himself and Fred Huntington).

For enjoyment of reading well put together writing while also imparting knowledge, he was my favorite gun writer of my youth and is probably partially responsible for my being a bit if a gun nerd, and that's something that I have no regrets about.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Bruinruin, for me that writer was O'Connor. I was 12 when Carmichel took over. I missed O'Connor, but soon began to appreciate Carmichel, and learned a lot from him. Want to get a copy of his Book of the Rifle!

C
C
I dont think he is dead or they brought him back from the grave. OL just came out with an irrelevant and redundant comparison of the .243 Win vs .244 Rem. The logic being we can now choose our twist rate rather than rely on off the shelf rifles from over 52 years ago.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/243-winchester-vs-244-remington/?amp

Last edited by Culpeper; 12/23/22.
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Jim Carmichael is 76 years old and now lives in Tennessee

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
C
C
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
Jim gets credit for the development work of the 260 that led to its adoption as a commercial cartridge by Remington. But people forget that he also wrote about and developed a 6.5 based on an improved 250 Savage case.
That cartridge to which he also gave a cat name ,was just about identical to the 6.5 Creedmoor of today.

Creedmoor and PRC are knockoffs. Jim Carmichel’s 6.5 Leopard

https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/6-5-cartridges-that-never-made-it/?amp

Last edited by Culpeper; 12/23/22.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Originally Posted by 1911a1
....Carmichel helped design the Remington Classic stock.

Now that's an accomplishment to be proud of! Probably the finest all-around stock, ever.

Good shootin'. -Al

I don't know about that..................IMO & for my taste, the Dakota 76 get's that nod, along with numerous stocks from custom makers like David MIller, Al Beisen, & Keith Stegall.

Here's a Stegall rifle & a Dalota 76 that I owned & in a fit of weakness, sold both rifles to the same guy.

As for Carmichel, he's always been in a select few of gunwriters that I really, really liked.

MM

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by rainshot
Carmichael is a class act. In his book "Classic Carmichel" (they misspelled it) there's an article "The Great Jonesboro Pigeon Shoot". It is a humor piece and a very good one. He's one of the writers that I've enjoyed for many years. He is also one of the few writers that has competed for many years and has enjoyed a lot of success at it.

Somebody already mentioned at least once, earlier in this thread, that Jim's name is spelled Carmichel--which is indeed the correct spelling.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
He writes (or at least did) a back page article for Petersen's Hunting called Rear View.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Culpeper
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

Creedmoor and PRC are knockoffs. Jim Carmichel’s 6.5 Leopard

https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/6-5-cartridges-that-never-made-it/?amp

I mentioned a LONG time ago in the early life of this old thread, that Ken Waters was actually the first guy to develop a wildcat that was essentially the .260 Remington. He did it in the late 1950s by necking up .243 cases, and if I recall correctly called it the .263 Express. But Carmichel certainly gets the credit for getting it turned into a commercial round.

Might also mention that before this thread was re-resuuracted I bought one of Jim's rifles. This was back in July, when he wanted to sell one of the rare Husqvarna FFV .308 target rifles he got back in 1960s. Butch Lambert mentioned this on the Campfire, and eventually helped me get into touch with Jim, during which I talked to him on the phone for a while. We were on several "gun writer" invitational trips back in the 1990s and early 2000s, and had some good (and interesting) times but I hadn't seen him since he retired from OL, so the phone call was fun! (I also now have a copy of Jim's Federal Firearms License on my computer, in case he sells something else that calls to me....)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Around 25 years ago I arrived a couple days early at hunting camp to guide rifle hunters in northern NM. Jim Carmichel and two of his competitive shooting buddies were there, all three had already killed their elk and were waiting before heading out for their flight. I got to talk to Jim and his friends and pick their brains a bit. I had already been told in the past that Carmichel had this almost unreasonable dislike of the 270 (my fav) so I pretty much let that dog lie. But one of the things I learned was he did help design the Remington Classic stock, and mentioned he had several of the unlimited Classics and hunted with them. I did learn some things about how and why certain stocks fit in certain ways and applications.

Jim had always given me the impression in his writings that he was more of a shooter, and wing shooter, than a big game hunter. A few of the misconceptions he had about elk and elk hunting still surprised me anyway. He was quite personable towards me and others and I am glad to have met him.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I've had friends that had a strong distaste of certain cartridges, maybe more like hate... I could never understand that kind of thinking. Anyway, I kinda got the impression by reading his stuff that he was a good guy.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GSPfan
He writes (or at least did) a back page article for Petersen's Hunting called Rear View.

Sounds like it should be in a proctology journal instead.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

257 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 2,273 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.