Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Ten-4, Thanks again, if i ever have 'Smith screw my 45-70 barrel back on my #3 sporter 45-70 i may look for a mold just to cast some up and see how they shoot.

Trump Won!
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well if I remember , when I start casting again this fall/winter, I'll get a bunch cast up and send you some.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Don, some of us never got into smoking dope as kids because we couldn't handle rolling papers. So...it's greasers for us! grin

Ed

LOL, we had a hemp rope factory 6 miles from here and hemp is still growing in the fence lines like bull thistles laugh but as kids we never smoked it but dried out corn silk stuffed in a corncob with a elderberry stem made a good corn cob pipe for the silk LOL.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Well if I remember , when I start casting again this fall/winter, I'll get a bunch cast up and send you some.

Thanks Ranch, if i dont have the barrel on my 45-70 i can always shoot them in the red headed step-child 45 3-1/4 inch, that non-factory classless sob will eat anything ; ]

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't tried that bullet in either the 2.4 or the 2 7/8 but it should work well. for a greaser

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I bet it will, my 45 3-1/4 is a really good shooting rifle, just a ladder barrel sight hunting rifle, i only shoot the 1881 Saeco in it, i absolutely refuse to paper patch for that rifle, talk about a massive attempt at overcompensation ; ]

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm kinda contrary towards little bullets in big bores. I use BP also.

Lyman 457125 casts at 530 gr with 30:1 alloy
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Someday I'll install a scope maybe and use a full bag rest just to see what it will do. Until then I'll just watch the buffalo soil their knickers.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Dang good stuff Dan, that big Lyman is a stoner on all critters, great and small, fine shooting Sir.

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fond of those bullets I am. Makes me think of an old line attributed to Hitler’s boys. “Torpedos Los!”

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You bet Dan, i've heard from Bagwelll about those bullets he used on countless animals, i was also privileged to be on a buffalo [bison] hunt where two friends of Bill's and i used that big Lyman over black powder in 45-70 and 45-90 Sharps rifles, one guy shot his buffalo in the chest at 60 yards, the bull turned to walk away and fell, the butcher found that bullet in his pelvis bones, i guess near 7-8 feet of penetration.

The other guy shot his through both shoulders, was reloading his rifle when his bull fell for keeps, no bullet recoveries on that one, with those guys, and everything Bill ever said is that big Lyman does three things best of all, quick killer, penetrates dead straight, and you can shoot it to a thousand yards, sounds like a damn tall order to beat imho.

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ed, I wanted a bullet to match the # 121 profile that would drop a larger diameter and carry plenty of lube so had Tom fix me up with this 46-500Y to drop .459 since both my PH molds drop puny diameters ..

At 30;1 this one drops 505 grs and groups way better than I can shoot !

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Good looking casting job Woody, favors Bill's old favorite the 480gr Lyman.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunner500
Good looking casting job Woody, favors Bill's old favorite the 480gr Lyman.

Thanks Jerry that was the intent since his old favorite shot so well however as I said my molds drop so puny you could almost PP them if a few thou smaller.
grin

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, i'm past ready for some frosty fall hunting my Friend!

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Woody,

That's a good looking bullet! I bet my .458 WM would like that one!

My Lyman 121 mould drops 20:1 alloy at .456". When I was complaining to Bill about the undersized bullets, he just grinned and told me to go shoot them over 65.5gr of KIK 2f and see what happens.

Well, what happened was, I came back to Bills one day with 115 of those loaded up and we proceeded to shoot all of them on his home range.

My best group of that day was four shots at his 300 meter pig that was 1.75" wide and 3" tall. I was trying to hit that little 4" square plate he had sitting next to the pig, but the sun was shining on the side of the front blade and I was holding too far to the right.

I just opened the safe up and fondled my Sharps. I really need to get it back out and shoot it.

A good friend of mine once told me that a good job will ruin a man's life. I think he might be right. I just don't have time to do everything I want to do! grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
This is a great Thread!!!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58

Yes Sir it is HS58, after talking with Kirk out at Shiloh Rifles, i have cast up some 40 cal paper patch bullets from 40 to 1 alloy, done a double soft this morning with two 5lb bags of pure lead with one 20 to 1 puck from a muffin tin Wife gave me to pour and store my lead in, these are really soft paper patch bullets for my 44-77 Sharps Bottleneck, they weigh 480 grains, think they'll do fine for deer and pigs this season.

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Yes Sir it is HS58, after talking with Kirk out at Shiloh Rifles, i have cast up some 40 cal paper patch bullets from 40 to 1 alloy, done a double soft this morning with two 5lb bags of pure lead with one 20 to 1 puck from a muffin tin Wife gave me to pour and store my lead in, these are really soft paper patch bullets for my 44-77 Sharps Bottleneck, they weigh 480 grains, think they'll do fine for deer and pigs this season.

I like that, Jerry!
I bet before your Wife gave you those Tins, she filled em with Muffins, for you! Good Woman!
You've been blessed my friend!

Enjoy!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

I like that, Jerry!
I bet before your Wife gave you those Tins, she filled em with Muffins, for you! Good Woman!
You've been blessed my friend!

Enjoy!

You're exactly right HS58, imagine if you will giant blueberry muffins made with wheat/coconut/graham flour [she's going for health] with so many blueberries inside when she dumps the tin out they rupture, crack open, and oooz that blueberry syrup? goodness all over the place, she'll spatula you up a couple in a small bowl and hand you a cup of coffee, and no Sir, i dont rate that either ; ]

Trump Won!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
You guys are having entirely too much fun! smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
385 members (204guy, 280shooter, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 47 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,595
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.