Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have a #1 B that has a beat to hell stock.
Also have a #3 wearing older #1 wood w a few marks.

IMHO run it as is or go synthetic.
Or pay a pro to do a refinish.

I got decent results yrs ago doing a couple of stocks (Remingtons)
Am too old and cranky to push my luck these days.

No more wood refinishing for me.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I picked up a little 1a in 7x57 about 20 years ago at a gun show that looked like the wood had been ridden hard and put up wet. Big patches of what turned out to be polyurethane missing, wood grayed underneath and remainder of the finish was cloudy. The metal was good otherwise I would have passed. It took a lot of scraping and then careful sanding so as to not mess up the checkering which was also in good shape. I used a British formula called Slackum oil that I found over on the doublegun.com forum and it turned out to be one of the best looking stocks I have. As I remember it took a long time to remove that old finish but worth it. It looks better than any of my newer #1 rifles.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I am like you getting older and lots of things to do.. I hope this does not fall into the back of the stove category. Plz keep more suggestions coming.
MARTIN

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was told Ruger used Lin-Speed

Lin-Speed

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...wood-finishes/gunstock-oil-prod8004.aspx

There is a "how to" out there on stock refinishing that specifically deals with Lin-Speed. Cutting the first couple coats with mineral spirits, sanding between coats (more like gentle rubbing down between coats) ect ect....

I did a No. 1 RSI years ago.. Something like 10 coats before she stopped penetrating and getting dull spots.

On the rack, you couldn't tell the finish difference between the the one I did and the others.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 1885boomstick
I was told Ruger used Lin-Speed

Lin-Speed

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...wood-finishes/gunstock-oil-prod8004.aspx

There is a "how to" out there on stock refinishing that specifically deals with Lin-Speed. Cutting the first couple coats with mineral spirits, sanding between coats (more like gentle rubbing down between coats) ect ect....

I did a No. 1 RSI years ago.. Something like 10 coats before she stopped penetrating and getting dull spots.

On the rack, you couldn't tell the finish difference between the the one I did and the others.

That old red pad model I refinished did not have Lin-Speed for an original finish. It was something very hard and tenacious to remove, probably a polyurethane type. Common solvents such as lacquer thinner, xylene, or acetone would not touch it. I have removed Lin-Speed and True Oil, both basically linseed oil and varnish with no problem using solvents and that was not the case with the Ruger Stock.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Look up AJ Renner, here you go did it for you. http://www.rjrenner.com/ruger-no.1.html

If I had any reservation whatsoever on doing the re-finish myself I would turn the whole thing over to Mr. Renner and let him do his magic on the stock work and re-finish. You can ask him to use Alkanet or Spirit stains to get that red color and he can match any era Ruger or make it look antique if you want.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 46 invisible), 1,817 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,182
Posts18,465,649
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.