Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cs2blue
We handled a incident (reported missing person) with a guy that was killed in an wood cutting accident with an Stihl 028. It kicked back and hit him in the forehead killing him. not a big saw but, it did the Job! DRT. I have heard that next to firearms, chainsaws have the second highest product liability of anything that can be purchased by consumers.

Not an absolute, but for me,
small saws scare me.

Was running Mac 700's and 800's at 12, moved into Pro Huskys,
And thats been almost all my experience. Anytime I run a small saw,
usually with pro chain, I find them awful "kicky".

A big saw definitely will kick, but a longer bar usually has to go farther,
there is more weight in your favor,
And the handles give you better control.

As someone else said, it's usually from the knee up to the upper thigh.
With more experienced guys and big saws.
Sometimes it's kick, or a sprung branch,
other times it's the workingmans worst enemy.
Complacency!

Ever hear of a carpenter cutting his thigh with a circular saw.
Quick cut something, hold it on the leg......OH, FUDGE!!!
Only he didn't say fudge!

Not judging this guy or anyone that gets cut.
Complacency is a killer though.
One that worries me, personally.

Often times in dangerous work,
As knowledge and experience accumulate, caution decreases.

I worked at a huge trucking company known for training new drivers.
With over14k trucks running truckload freight, they could accumulate some interesting data.

New/inexperienced drivers had the majority of accidents.
Broken mirrors, trailer doors ripped off. Clipping another truck in a truck stop.
Small damage, few injuries.

Drivers with 3+ years under their belt had way fewer incidents.
But were the vast majority in fatal accidents.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That’s gross.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
the older i get, the more cautious i am with saws. i've been nipped but never like that.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Imagine that without the chaps....

Had a kid from Indiana, claimed to work for the FS there on my crew in Alaska. He was clearing right of way for us. I heard the saw jam hard and shut off. I walked over and he was sitting there white as a ghost, red all over.

He asked me how bad it was. He has done this same move, also wearing chaps.

I explained that it was awful and that those chaps he just destroyed were expensive. He wanted to know about his leg before he passed out.....it never touched him. The red was all the Kevlar it spit out.

He was much luckier.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"Bushelor" "Busheling" I have used chain saws extensively for 40 years. Never heard either of these terms. Is this Yankee talk?

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Bushelor- getting paid by the piece or by the thousand, as in board feet. Term used in North West, rocky mountains.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by PJ65
Bushelor- getting paid by the piece or by the thousand, as in board feet. Term used in North West, rocky mountains.

That's a new one to me and like I said,it sounds more like forest service or forestry talk,not logging..50 years in the woods and I never heard of it.

Jayco👍

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Worked with some boys from Western Wa and OR in the early 90s. Heard the term thrown around by them. Definitely not Forest Service, as they have no idea what production means.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by logcutter

That's a new one to me and like I said,it sounds more like forest service or forestry talk,not logging..50 years in the woods and I never heard of it.

Jayco👍

Me either.
Have known guys to be paid by the load.
We called it "Payed by the load".
But around here,
we aren't "Real cool and chitt".

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a scare on my knee that his is going to match pretty close to that in the pic. that the OP posted. Amazingly it didn't hurt much when I did it.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
IC B3

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A chainsaw is the most dangerous tool I am aware of, and if you are falling timber then sooner or later something is going to happen.
We have a saying....the unlucky get killed and the lucky get good.....I have had trees land beside me.... shocked...had barber chairs......had tops land beside me......had stupid skidderman push snags over in my direction...been hit in the face with debris requiring stiches a couple times...all that and you are still holding and controlling the most dangerous tool.
I sure do miss production falling.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 673
A chainsaw is the most dangerous tool I am aware of, and if you are falling timber then sooner or later something is going to happen.
We have a saying....the unlucky get killed and the lucky get good.....I have had trees land beside me.... shocked...had barber chairs......had tops land beside me......had stupid skidderman push snags over in my direction...been hit in the face with debris requiring stiches a couple times...all that and you are still holding and controlling the most dangerous tool.
I sure do miss production falling.

My first year cutting I got hit by a top that was rotten enough to bust off when the tree went over. It was on a steep loose and rocky hillside and I slipped moving away. Ended up face planted into the ground. That one still causes problems 30 years later. I also got a pretty good nick on my left wrist when my bar tip touched my wedge and kicked back out of the back cut. That one was 25 stitches or so.

Just in the last few years 4 guys I know and/or worked with in the woods 3 have been seriously injured wiith one of them dead. 1 of the 3 ended up losing a leg at mid thigh.

The one guy who was killed probably had 30+ years of timber falling under his belt and was widely regarded as a very good timber faller. A widowmaker got him.

I was just talking to my brother a few days ago about logging and we both agreed we missed it for some reason.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
It will feel better when it stops hurting.

Back in the late 70's I worked for one of the big commercial tree companies, the one with the silent H at the end of their name. Anyway they needed workers bad when the Twin Cities got hammered with the Dutch Elm moths. The fat guys got to use a bucket truck, the skinny guys had to climb, and the rest made up the grounds crew. For 5 weeks it didn't pay to learn anyone's name as people were getting butchered left and right. It was almost a game predicting which moron was going to get their digits shortened or removed. I often thought it was odd nobody died.

The op's bite looks bad, but in the scheme of things it will probably go down as a good reminder.

WS

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by logcutter

Jayco👍

Getting paid by the thousand was common in Northern California where I worked. I worked one season chasing and skidding for a company out of Klamath Falls and they paid the cutters by the stump inch. Measured across the hinge if I remember right.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Logging is the second most dangerous occupation in America, and I know why.
I was cutting down a pine tree in North Carolina so my neighbor could get a view of the river. 95 foot white pine, 18 inch diameter. It was growing on a steep hill, probably 45 degree slope. The tree was leaning slightly uphill and I dropped it uphill. Hell I am from the flatlands of Georgia I didn't know any better. The tree dropped right where I wanted, and the butt was aimed straight downhill. I turned to mess with something on the saw, and suddenly the tree began to slide downhill like a sled. Got on top of me and crunched down right on top of my right knee. The trunk landed right on my knee and I was pinned.

Fire dept rescue squad had to come up and cut that tree off of me, carried me off the mountain in a Stokes basket.
Broke the big thigh bone, the femur, right in the knee. Did 18 months on crutches and wound up with total knee replacement. Damn knee still hurts, night and day.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by Ray_Herbert
Begging mercy for their sins
Larry laughing, spreads his wings
Oh lord, yeah!

Liar larry was a bushelor, not a cutter… big difference

Only in how they are paid. Busheling is the way to go if your handy with a saw.

That’s subjective.. wanna sit on a stump for hours, your gtg. 👍

I'm not sure what your talking about? A bushler's pay is based on how much wood they put on the ground. A cutter is paid hourly. It's typically more lucrative to be paid by the board feet depending on the ground your in. Stick was logging old growth based on his YouTube videos and I bet making good money while doing so.
When I logged we call busheling piece cutting. Mostly second and third growth hardwood trees. Sometimes you did ok, sometimes not.

Of course you don’t know what I’m talking about. That’s why the dont pay hourly in old growth. Do you know how long it takes to dump one of those big bastards? Wal mart bushelors laziest of the bunch. Judging by Larry’s lifestyle , busheling wasn’t too fruitful

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I was usually paid by the piece, that being the number of 33 foot logs in a tree. I never worked the coastal stuff and have the utmost respect for those who do. Big trees, steep and wet. Whole different ballgame. I always wore chaps, helmet and eye protection. Need to stay whole and healthy for the next day.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Also.....I have been pounded on the back and driven face first a couple times into the snow by a chunk of ice/snow that accumulates up near the top of evergreens usually later in winter.
A local Faller near me recently had his neck broken by a chunk of ice/snow and his 50+ year career ended. I can think of 4-5 guys with broken necks from falling.

I have never met a faller that wasn't a believer to full blown Christian LOL

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I came very close to doing that, so I repaired the work pants, and wear them to remind me. Man, That photo will stick with me , too! I guess the only good thing is it looks like it can be fixed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chaps are cheap compared to the alternative. Saws want blood for some reason. So do some trees. And it's not just chainsaws. I've got scratches, and only scratches, but I remember every one like it was yesterday, and so far, not made the same mistake twice.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

323 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 29aholic, 48 invisible), 1,733 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,433
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.