Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

I was talking to the Lord about my buddy's lightning bolt experience the day after he prayed for a "lightning bolt LIKE experience" as confirmation to his prayer. He had one that shook him up, strike real close. .

I was just talking to the Lord about that one day and appreciated him doing that for my friend. That's something special IF you walk away from that.
The day after I prayed, the summer draught ended and I ran out there with the ground wet in bare feet. I wanted to collect a bunch of rain water and set out the containers under the flow. I look up straight across from me, less than 30 paces. A bolt bigger in diameter than the trunk of my 60+ year old hemlock struck. I quickly ran inside thanking Him for His mercy. That obviously was no coincidence.

Lightning bolt as big as a tree 30 paces away, you in bare feet on wet ground.

Laughing!
There is no limit to how full of s h i t you are.

#can'tkillthetroll

The Lord done had mercy on his soul.

HC still had work to do.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's real fun when you're with 4-5 other guys in a pyramid type tent at 11000 feet on a glacier on the side of Mt Rainier when the lightning starts hitting close. That aluminum center pole went out the door and sliding down the glacier aways right quick. Sleeping on ice, in a down bag with wet nylon covering you isn't much fun. Getting jolted by a strike would have been less fun.

Most memorable one was at a rest area outside Dallas on the way to E TX. I was trying to get a little rest when it started. Lightning was striking the ground all around and the noise was deafening. I pulled my knees up to get my feet off the floorboards, don't know as it would have helped, but I figured it couldn't hurt. It was so much fun I was laughing hysterically. Shaking the car like a rag doll toy in our puppies mouth! Boom! Boom! Boom! I loved it.

Once, living at about 7k' in the White Mountains of AZ we were home when it hit. Noisy and strikes all around. Took our evening walk and once we got where we could look back to our house we saw smoke. Walked back up and found a snag smoldering. Called the Apache guys to come out and check on it. Good thing it rained hard as it had no time to spread.

As much as I love a good storm, I really don't like it much.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rlott
To this day my mother (83) will not take a shower in her PEX plumbed house in a thunderstorm, nor talk on her wireless house phone or cell phone, lest she be struck down.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Was just east of Alliance NE back in the early 80s on my mosickle when a giant mammae cloud came up behind me. All I could do was stop right there on an apron, lay the bike down on its side, grab a tarp, roll myself up on the side of the borrow pit, and wait. Wow. Like being shelled. Felt a couple electrical fields, tasted copper, too. Big hail, lighting (CLOSE), when it quit there was four inches of half-inch hail. Everything was white, with the black storm moving off. Amazingly enough, while the bike was the tallest thing nearby, it wasn't hit. Went from 90s to 60s, actually a wonderful ride through a wonderland once the hail melted off the pavement enough.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rlott
To this day my mother (83) will not take a shower in her PEX plumbed house in a thunderstorm, nor talk on her wireless house phone or cell phone, lest she be struck down.

You got me on this one. What's with thunderstorms and PEX plumbed houses? Curious.

IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Scared of getting 'cuted by the plumbing or phone. Even though the plumbing is plastic and the phone is cordless.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some years ago, I was bowhunting on a high ridge over Labor Day when we had a freak snowstorm roll in. Before it was done, there were 4" on the ground. As I was moving along the ridge in heavy snow and very low clouds, the thunder started popping very close to me. I couldn't see the lightning through the snow and clouds but the ground was shaking. I bailed down off that ridge as fast as I could move in the slick, wet snow and didn't stop until I was at the creek. I just wasn't interested in close up observation.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Have a very healthy respect for lighting these days. About 20 years ago got caught on top of a small mountain in a scary fast developing summer monsoon storm up in Northern AZ. When I started up, it was clear skies, and nearest storm appeared to be 30 miles or so away in the Flagstaff area. I got to the top, and chit started happening fast. No sooner had I set up the binos and tripod, lighting struck a hill a couple miles off. I packed up and started hauling azz down the ridge. Lighting strike in front of me right where I was headed. Dropped into a draw, hauling azz. Another strike in the draw right where I was headed. Figured (probably wrongly so) that safest bet was to ditch the metal (pack with frame, tripod, and sidearm) under a tree and run back up and take refuge under a cliff overhang I knew of just off the top of the mountain.

The next 45 or so minutes was nothing short of terrifying. Lighting strikes coming fast and close. Right overhead and all around. All my years in AZ, had never seen such a violent lighting storm. By the time it calmed enough for me to make a run for the truck, I'd been up there an hour. This wasn't the typical "15 minutes and it passes" kind of storm. Grabbed up things, ran down to truck, and back to camp at base of the small mountain.

Back at camp, 3 trees had been hit within the 100 yard radius around camp. Just exploded the hell out of 2 of them. Tree debris everywhere. Over 30 years of camping in that spot, and only had evidence of one tree strike there before that storm.

Was a lot of years after that where I'd jump at just the flash of lighting off in the distance. Spent many a night waiting out a far off storm in the truck too. If I could hear thunder, out of the tent and into the truck I went.

Wasn't long after that incident that the boy and I were sitting around the fire one night. He wanted (unknown to me at the moment) to take a pic of me sitting by the fire. When the flash on that camera went off I jumped so hard my neck was kinked for weeks after. Wasn't funny then, but the boy still gives me chit about it now.

Also very cautious about driving in storms these days where I will have to get out and open gates.

[Linked Image from s.hdnux.com]

I'm better off now, and can again enjoy a good lighting show without chittin' myself. But for a lot of years that wasn't the case.

Last edited by DaveR; 07/29/21.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I am paranoid of lightning. I've been "tickled" once and I have had near strikes that have made me down right afraid of it.

Lightening is nothing to ignore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I am paranoid of lightning. I've been "tickled" once and I have had near strikes that have made me down right afraid of it.

Lightening is nothing to ignore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Probably the most spectacular lightning display I've ever seen was during the monsoon season in Tucson. If you recall, that's the one that made national news where peoples trailers were sliding off into the Santa Cruz river. Water was flowing so badly that they closed the bridges so I was literally stuck at work for three days before I could get relieved. Made for one hell of a paycheck. Anyway, one one night it looked like God had spread a net from horizon to horizon of lightning. It was continuous like a strobe light and the thunder was deafening. I haven't seen a monsoon season like that since then. Record rainfall every one to the five or six days that storm lasted. Fantastic lightning show throughout that whole time.
FWIW, we've been getting a decent amount of thunderstorms this month. Looks like the monsoon just may be coming back. We definitely need the water.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

We have 3 ranch hands in our grave yard killed by lightening, since 1940, last one in 1987, our rule is you hear thunder, get to good cover. I have had more than my share of lightening. Rio7

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
If you can hear thunder...you can be struck by lightning.

Thats why so many Boomers get struck and killed. They aint heared schit!

Hahaha. Tff. Winner, winner....

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by hunter4623
Originally Posted by hunter4623

I was talking to the Lord about my buddy's lightning bolt experience the day after he prayed for a "lightning bolt LIKE experience" as confirmation to his prayer. He had one that shook him up, strike real close. .

I was just talking to the Lord about that one day and appreciated him doing that for my friend. That's something special IF you walk away from that.
The day after I prayed, the summer draught ended and I ran out there with the ground wet in bare feet. I wanted to collect a bunch of rain water and set out the containers under the flow. I look up straight across from me, less than 30 paces. A bolt bigger in diameter than the trunk of my 60+ year old hemlock struck. I quickly ran inside thanking Him for His mercy. That obviously was no coincidence.

That's one reason it's so important for everyone to watch this.
Someone cared enough to share the same facts with me and so I'm just passing it forward.

you are so completely full of schitt it’s not even funny

Do something useful you worthless troll. Drag your sorry carcass out of the basement and post a pic of yourself in the yard.

I'm really going to lose sleep over your comment there 4623.

If you ever have a lightning bolt experience, would you and all of your friends even recognize it might be the Lord trying to get your attention?
My friend did.
I did.
No coincidence.
If I were you, I think I would consider that simple video while you have a chance. Do you hear rain?
ive had plenty of lightning experiences and never once thought it was God sending me a message.

Yep, it rains, and lightnings, on the just and the unjust.

But, a few times i got the idea He was telling me to take cover. I didnt argue. grin

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
We used to get crazy high veld thunder storms in South Africa. I've been pretty close a few times but one time was so close my eyes were flash blinded and my heart jumped like it was going to explode out of my chest. I was sitting outside on our back porch in Potgietersrus when it hit in the back yard.

It gave me a new respect for lightning and I've taken it more seriously since then.

Bb

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

475 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,166
Posts18,465,308
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.