24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only weak point on the push-feed I’m aware of is the bolt-handle attachment, the same as all the Classics. Not common apparently, but it happens. If I were getting one for hard use or dangerous game, I’d get it spot-welded. For general use, meh.

I’ll always take a commercial 98 over an M70, all other parts being equal, but the various Zastavas can be a crapshoot when it comes to finish; try before you buy. Never had a commercial, factory tapped 98 with crookedy holes, but some early FNs didn’t come drilled, and like sporterized ones, weren’t always worked on by the best smiths. I have a Heym with the lone rear hole just barely out of line, and rather than put a bunch of money into having it fixed, I’m using “alternative sights”. No way to tell if it’s a factory job or was done later as Heyms of that era are poorly documented.

I don’t obsess over cartridge choice, although naturally I prefer ones I’m already set up for. Both rounds in question are excellent.

What fresh Hell is this?
BP-B6

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Pick which ever cartridge you like both rifles will get it done. I have both so I know. For what it is worth a Mark X Interarms is a clone of the FN commercial action which evolved from the clunk M98. Don't call it a 98 it isn't one.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Magnum Bob,

Besides not having a thumb cut and the intermediate length, what's the difference?

Pappy,

Thanks for the info. I've heard of the bolt handle coming off as well, but it seems a lot less frequent than some others as a whole, doesn't it? And interesting about the Heym!

From what I gather, perhaps the Interarms Mark X actions/rifles had a bit more attention payed to them. The recent Zastavas seem to have weird hole alignment as a rule rather than an exception. They seem very solid but...not exactly a Husky 1600 are they.

Redneck,

Thank you very much for the firsthand info! I appreciate it. The exterior of the Win 70 looks very clean, but I'll take a look at the extractor if I pick it up.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Mark X is newer stuff not some battlefield relic being turned from a sow's ear to a silk purse it's a newer commercial quality steel. No thumb cut, no stripper ears, no mil trigger, no battle safety. They share some design features that' s all. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Pick which ever cartridge you like both rifles will get it done. I have both so I know. For what it is worth a Mark X Interarms is a clone of the FN commercial action which evolved from the clunk M98. Don't call it a 98 it isn't one.

I’ve been scolded for calling them Mausers before, but never 98s😜. My Heym is a true 98. Only departure is the bolt handle, which as far as I can tell, was manufactured bent for scoping. Floorplate has the hole for a bullet nose, there’s a clip guide, wing safety, thumb cut, and C-ring. Published info on Heym that I’ve found generally starts when they began making rifles for other companies, and then similar models sold by various department stores.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The one push feed M70 I owned was one of my most accurate rifles, .308 with a varmint barrel.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the push feed Winchester was built in the 60’s, I’d stay away from it.
I’ve had a couple Model 70’s in 338 Win Mag. The first was a push feed. I’m not sure of the date of manufacture. The second was a controlled feed (Classic).
The push feed was much easier to get to shoot accurately.
I am guessing the Winchester might be higher quality, IDK compared to the Zastava.
I like the 7x57 and the 308.
I like the Winchester triggers. If they were at the same store, I’d look them over and compare.
Without seeing them, it would be a difficult decision, but I’m thinking the Winchester.

Last edited by Bugger; 07/28/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I’ve been scolded for calling them Mausers before, but never 98s😜. My Heym is a true 98. Only departure is the bolt handle, which as far as I can tell, was manufactured bent for scoping. Floorplate has the hole for a bullet nose, there’s a clip guide, wing safety, thumb cut, and C-ring. Published info on Heym that I’ve found generally starts when they began making rifles for other companies, and then similar models sold by various department stores.

What do you guys think of the Parker Hale rifles built on Santa Barbara actions?

I've seen another poster here with a lot of experience with them saying they are good to go except the trigger housing is made of some pretty cheap pot metal. Ever own/make any impressions on them?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well, I've owned two Zastavas, Mark Xs to be exact. One in .375 H&H and the other a .300 Win. Mag. Both rifles were decently accurate but the one in .375 H&H had a serious flaw IMHO. The top of the feed ramp was as jagged as the teeth in a Great White Shark and gouged the brass with very deep grooves. I didn't keep it very long, but did look for another. Every one I found had the same problem, some worse and some not to worse. The .300 was a nice rifle and I would probably still have but a guy at the range saw it and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I'm still sorry I sold it.

I have a few M70s, one post 64 push feeder, the other post 68. A .243 and .338 Win. Mag. They shoot decently and it wasn't hard to find loads they liked. The rest are a .308 Youth Ranger I won in a raffle which I restocked to fit me, and two XTRs, a .257 Bob and 7x57 Mauser in the Featherweight configuration. The only other M70 I have is a New haver Stainless Classic in .338 Win. Mag. that I will probably either rebarrel to something else or maybe even sell off as I do not like it as is. Damn thing beats me to death.

As to which one would I choose of the OP's choices. Knowing the way I think I'd find a way to get both. But that's me. Lately however, I've been playing with the 7x57 which would incline towards the one chambered to that round. I have three as it is, the M70 mentioned, a Ruger #1A and a custom built on a J.C. Higgins M50 Mauser. The more I play with the cartridge, the more I'm getting to like it. As I'm quite fond of the 98 Mauser action, I probably would go for the 7x57 as that's my current labor of love.
Paul B.

Last edited by PJGunner; 07/28/21.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Igloo

What do you guys think of the Parker Hale rifles built on Santa Barbara actions?

I've seen another poster here with a lot of experience with them saying they are good to go except the trigger housing is made of some pretty cheap pot metal. Ever own/make any impressions on them?

Haven’t owned one, but the guy who owns the main LGS in this area has had one for decades, and he can, as you’d imagine, pick and choose. I’d have to look one over for myself.

I’ve owned a couple of 70s Zastavas, J.C. Higgins M50s and some regular FNs. The FNs remain my favorite, and since prices on all of them are pretty close these days, that’s what I look at. The two FN .270s I have now will probably do me, along with the Heym .308. One of the .270s is a Frankenrifle that came with a blocky left-handed stock of nice walnut, which I replaced with a B&C. The other is a very nice old custom by Paul Morton of San Antonio, that I picked up for a relative song. It has all the goodies; Fisher bottom metal, Mashburn trigger, and an M70-type safety in a “distinctive” stock of French with a checkered schnabel, lots of fine checkering elsewhere too.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

They are just okay, 2nd and 3rd tier rifles IMO. They make great truck guns or loaners for your clumsey friends.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

I have one in a .25/06 varmint model. My impression of it is simple I LIKE IT!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thats a very nice rifle, Ken! Or should I stick with "Elkhunter"?

Seems it gets chances to do its job too!

Thanks for all the feedback and thoughts, everyone. In the end I went with the Winchester, and if I am lucky enough to be here at the farm instead of out in the big city when it arrives I'll post some pictures.

But knowing me, I'll have both eventually.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Igloo, Ken will do just fine.

Congrats on buying the Winchester!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
What are the wear points to watch out for on the Win 70 push feed? Anything that tends to crap out before getting to high mileage use?

I had one push feed M70 in .243 and it was fine. You will crap out before the rifle.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Since a 98 Mauser is my favorite action and the 7X57 is my favorite cartridge, the choice for me is simple.

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, look what pulled in today!

Overall, pretty nice. Looks used but not abused. Bore and crown seem very nice. Bit of schmoo on the receiver from the see-through mounts and old loctite in the holes that needs cleaning. Triggers quite nice to me as is.

May just drop it into a synthetic, put a Bushnell Elite of some type on it in Weaver QDs and call it good.

Knowing me though? Probably be a Mark X next to it some day. What can I say, I have a problem.

Thanks again all

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Very nice!

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Yes...very nice looking rifle. If you're happy, we are happy.:)

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Our happiness is so genuine and yet so fleeting when there are always new guns to have and hunt with next season!

Thanks all!

Will get some groups up once I have the rifle scoped and ready to go, and start working up loads.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
226 members (257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 33 invisible), 2,205 guests, and 984 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,641
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.