Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've got a couple of scopes with illuminated reticles, a couple of red dot sights on some ARs and a Burris Fastfire on a 22 pistol.

Wanted to hear a few opinions on how long you leave batteries in them.

Do you change them yearly? or run them till they start to loose power?

Have you ever had one of the CR 2032 batteries corrode in the optics?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On my rifle scopes with reticles that can be seen without any illumination, I only put the batteries in when I am going to need illumination. These tend to sit for long periods without any use so I see no point in leaving the batteries in and risking leakage. They are usually easy to remove and install. Others may leave them in.

On red dot optics, I leave them in. Some red dots, like Trijicon RMRs, require the removal of the sight to remove the battery. Those tend to get used a lot more than the illuminated scopes, so the batteries stay in those.

I leave batteries in 24/7 until they start to wear out on weapons lights. I've never had leakage.

Use high quality batteries that are guaranteed against leakage, and with long self lives. Don't scrimp on batteries for these devices.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 07/29/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not sure it was the battery that leaked inside my early Bushnell, but it sure was the condensation that along with that battery that made a mess of the inside of that battery compartment and corroded everything. Take any cold piece of metal into a warm cabin and you get condensation. That illuminated reticle scope was my first and last ever scope with a battery.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Scary" schit! Hint.

You CLUELESS Drooling Fhuqktards never disappoint,by simply doing your best. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

The HORROR! Hint.

Bless your hearts for crying.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You shoot that fish? Me and you are on the same page.

Some people might think this mack is shark-bit. Really, I did that with my .300 WM.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by 10Glocks; 07/30/21.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I put new batteries in ever piece of hunting equipment that takes them before hunting season every year whichnis around November 1. i take them out
Around the end of March when I clean everything up after the season.

Last edited by Boarmaster123; 07/30/21.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use Trijicons no batteries are used they are lighted by "radio active" material....no worry about a stupid battery going dead or leaking because it was forgotten.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never had a 2032 leak, even when Grandpa leaves the light on and finds them dead next time.

OTOH, I’ve had a bunch of AA and AAA alkaline batteries leak for no good reason. The copper-tops are bad in that way, so I give them a total pass now and use Eveready lithiums and Eneloop rechargeables, depending on use. Eneloops have worked well in every device I’ve tried them in, unlike some others with low voltage.

Still, I carry spares, have 2032s stuffed everywhere.

I have Trijicons with and without batteries, prisms that work either way, and a few SeeAll sights for closeup work. I can use all of those without glasses, so red dots are getting less use here.

Last edited by Pappy348; 07/30/21.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't care for batteries in hunting scopes. I have a Burris MTAC on a .45-70 right now and hardly ever use the illumination. It's got an etched reticle so I don't even need a battery in it. It almost never has a battery in it. I don't think I'll ever buy an illuminated scope again, unless it's a Trijicon and either dual or just fiber optic illuminated.

I've gravitated to dual-illumination Trijicon RMRs on handguns. I was questioning that choice after I did it but now that I've been shooting them a lot more, I'm glad I went with the dual-illumination instead of the red dot.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You CLUELESS Whining Fhuqktards are a hoot! Hint. Congratulations?!?

Nice when things are engineered,to carry a spare. Hint.

My BRF's have the requisite spare battery taped to neck strap. Pistoles have same taped to their holster. Rifles have them taped to a sling. Hint.

I've never removed a battery for "storage" and that's some of THE dumbest schit I've ever fhuqking heard. Pardon my actually shooting though. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your hearts.

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
#DickTongs

#Laughing

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fortunately,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute" with your Homoerotic Fantasies...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon wares that exist. Hint.

Bless your heart for trying though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Some people have what they want and are content to not be a show off.

But some people insist on displaying their piles of schidt for everyone to see. LOL

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Poor poor(literally) Boob,always on the outside licking windows,HOPING to find a way in...the "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon wares that exist. Hint.

Fortunately,Imagination and Pretend are free,so she can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Bless your heart for Whining,Crying and Trying.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I actually like Big Stick's posts. He had me with his video about barrel break in. Loved it. Gotta love a guy who doesn't give a [bleep] what anyone else thinks. I'm just sorry all he has to catch are guppies laugh . If he comes down to NC, we'll have to hit one the towers for amber jack.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BobBrown

But some people insist on displaying their piles of schidt for everyone to see. LOL

Do you prefer Smartwool or Darn Tough Bob? Or are you more a Costco 6 pack kinda guy? All that time you spend outside; surely you have a favorite.
🧦

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Do you prefer Smartwool or Darn Tough Bob? Or are you more a Costco 6 pack kinda guy? All that time you spend outside; surely you have a favorite.
🧦

Come on man, 9,100 posts in a year, and 22.25 posts a day? He's got all sorts of time to be an expert on everything he comments on.

Personally, I've never had Costco beer, didn't even know they had any. But they have decent wine. Even better with a Shiner Bock chaser.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Big Stick
You CLUELESS Whining Fhuqktards are a hoot! Hint. Congratulations?!?

Nice when things are engineered,to carry a spare. Hint.

My BRF's have the requisite spare battery taped to neck strap. Pistoles have same taped to their holster. Rifles have them taped to a sling. Hint.

I've never removed a battery for "storage" and that's some of THE dumbest schit I've ever fhuqking heard. Pardon my actually shooting though. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your hearts.

Hint..................

wait till the midget king tells us all where he keeps the spares to his d-i-l-d-o

Last edited by gitem_12; 07/30/21.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I rather enjoy that you CLUELESS Crying Karen Pavement Pounding Pussies,"think" you have a FIRST Fhuqking Clue about anything The Outdoors...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Have only put 150,000+ pounds of fish in a boat on a single day,but a coupla times. Hint. LAUGHING!

Have only put 50,000lbs of Shrimp on a boat,in a single day,but a coupla times. Hint. LAUGHING!

Have only put 10,000lbs of Crab on a boat,in a single day,but a coupla times. Hint. LAUGHING!

Haven't caught anything on a single hook,that weighed much over 500 pounds. Hint. LAUGHING!

I "only" land 1000+ Salmonids a year,on rod & reel. Hint. LAUGHING!

I've barely cut 100,000,000 bd ft of Timber. Hint. LAUGHING!

If only as per always,simply pardon wares that exist,while you Drooling Dumbfhuqks "shoot" your mouths and Imaginations. Hint, LAUGHING!

Bless your hearts,for doing your best.

Here's to just how MUCH you Clueless Kchunts NEED your Imagination and Pretend.

Hint.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If you’re looking for fan boys, try Kingston and Old Toot. Laughing!

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

🧦

I’m surprised of your sudden interest in my personal garments.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

🧦

I’m surprised of your sudden interest in my personal garments.

Should we inquire on your prognosis and treatment of that chronic case of yeast infections you’ve been plagued with since weight gain has been your weakness ?

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I replace all of my batteries in all of my electronics prior to seasonal use.
I remove all the batteries from all of my electronics at the end of seasonal use.
None of them are ever stored with batteries retained. Is a bit annoying at times but not nearly as horrid as a leak into the works. I even insert aluminum foil between the terminals and contacts to avoid any corrosion.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Boob,

Use even more of your Imagination and Pretend,to declare that you don't frantically read my EVERY word and gawk every Splendid Pixel as you "live" vicariously...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

How many times a day,do you tend to think about me? Hint. LAUGHING!

Pardon wares that exist,as you lick windows. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I rather enjoy that you CLUELESS Crying Karen Pavement Pounding Pussies,"think" you have a FIRST Fhuqking Clue about anything The Outdoors...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Have only put 150,000+ pounds of fish in a boat on a single day,but a coupla times. Hint. LAUGHING!

Have only put 50,000lbs of Shrimp on a boat,in a single day,but a coupla times. Hint. LAUGHING!

Have only put 10,000lbs of Crab on a boat,in a single day,but a coupla times. Hint. LAUGHING!

Haven't caught anything on a single hook,that weighed much over 500 pounds. Hint. LAUGHING!

I "only" land 1000+ Salmonids a year,on rod & reel. Hint. LAUGHING!

I've barely cut 100,000,000 bd ft of Timber. Hint. LAUGHING!

If only as per always,simply pardon wares that exist,while you Drooling Dumbfhuqks "shoot" your mouths and Imaginations. Hint, LAUGHING!

Bless your hearts,for doing your best.

Here's to just how MUCH you Clueless Kchunts NEED your Imagination and Pretend.

Hint.

you forgot your accomplishment of driving your kid to suicide

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Come on down, we can get that fixed for you.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Boob,

Use even more of your Imagination and Pretend,to declare that you don't frantically read my EVERY word and gawk every Splendid Pixel as you "live" vicariously...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

How many times a day,do you tend to think about me? Hint. LAUGHING!

Pardon wares that exist,as you lick windows. Hint. LAUGHING!

Athlon Helos 2x12 vs Bushie LRTSi 3X12?

edited to add: Just looked and the Bushnell isn't available anymore so maybe the comparison is moot.

Last edited by Firth; 07/30/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
NoGrocks,

Dangle a picture of your 500lb+ "conquests". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Firth,

I REALLY like the Bushie '12x Lit Bitch in G3 reticle. Due that fact,I've a herd and have whistled 1000's and 1000's of rounds through 'em,which is something the 2-12x hasn't seen,by me(yet). I'm waiting on a couple more 2-12's to arrive,which will sorta help offset that ratio. Hint.

The Bushie is longer/heavier. The 2-12's Illumination is brighter. The Bushie locks windage only. The Helos locks both and they both have a killer zero stop. The Helos has a greater parallax correction range and is superb there. Both are FFP and erectors jive their respective reticle. The Helos has more erector travel. The Bushie ships with a sun shade,Helos do not. I LOVE 'shades,not for sun,but keeping water off the objective lens. Hint.

Both are 10 Mil's per revolution,but the Bushie's turret is greater diameter and wears bolder numerals,which may help some folks. Hint.

Bang for the buck,the Helos is essentially 50% of Bushie SALE pricing(bought mine for $439.99 each). Both are 30mm tubes. Hint.

If the 2-12x weathers my storm,it's a Dirty Rotten GOOD Bitch. Reupold should be taking notes! Hint.

Fhuqking laughing!....................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Well, that's not our fault. Who told you to run a lice comb through your pubic hair while you were on a boat?

One of the reasons I go to any forum is for entertainment. Big Stick provides that in spades. I actually do read his every word and qawk at every pixel. I think I've watched all his YouTube videos. "North to Alaska, where the roads are f'in small." laugh But then again, I'm easily amused.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
NoGrocks,

I rather enjoy that you Whining CLUELESS Fhuqktards always turn into a "we",as you espouse your Do Nothing Drooling Dumbfhuqktitude...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The multiple edits,are always a nice touch too. Hint. LAUGHING!

I realize that due your suffering being you,that you are FORCED to "live" vicariously and it'd be tough to fault that "move". That being said,just how many times a day do you think about me and what am I typically wearing in those scenes,you replay in your pointy head? Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Bless your heart,for Lying,Crying,Whining and Trying.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice. smile

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Back to the topic, I have always left batteries in all of my illuminated optics until they were dead. A couple of days ago, I started to change the battery in a gold cased, Bulova electronic watch that was given to me when I retired in 2013. This particular battery had been in the watch approximately 4 years. Long story short. The button cell battery had leaked and trashed the watch insides. It was a Sony battery.

I know that the chemistry in a watch battery may vary from that in a 2032 coin battery, but I believe it is all corrosive and it is possible for any seal to leak. Even if you are able to clean up the electrical contacts after a battery leak, you will most likely have an intermittent, unreliable POS. If you send it in for refurb, it will most likely cost you and it could take a while.

Using only non-illuminated scopes only is not an option that I will accept, and some of my favorite illuminated scopes are no longer made. I have illuminated rifle scopes, red dot sights and prism scopes. So, I have changed how long I keep the batteries in them. I now keep batteries out of all illuminated optics except in sights that will be in use during the present hunting season. At the end of the season, the batteries are removed and trashed. RJ

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We have four Aimpoints. Batteries left installed on all. Li+ 123s and CRs. Oldest is an M2, probably pushing 20 years. BTW, it has the original battery.

Don't keep batteries in the magnified scopes bc about never use the illumination feature. Otherwise would.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

306 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 32 invisible), 2,393 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,463
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.