Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Local company makes bulk of MREs for U.S. Military.

AmeriQual’s History

Evansville Company Scores Military Contract Boost

BP-B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Not a movie but NetFlix has a series called “Medal of Honor.”

It’s good.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
C ration spaghetti, could eat it cold, most of the rest was hard to eat cold, unless you had been a couple days without food.so hungry once even c rat eggs tasted good. Seen more than one fight for the pineapple chunks in the c rats.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The genius who put Tabasco in every MRE should retire to heaven when his time comes. Makes even the worst meal passable.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In Vietnam, everyone I ever knew or even saw had a little bottle of Tabasco. Made the C's much more palatable. Ripped off from the mess halls or sent over by the folks back home.

Last edited by jnyork; 05/31/21.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by David_Walter
The genius who put Tabasco in every MRE should retire to heaven when his time comes. Makes even the worst meal passable.

I bought some for quick hunting meals, the kids thought they were great and kept them in snacks all day. One thing I noticed, was just about every tabasco leaked onto the TP. I always thought that was pretty cruel.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
UGRs?

They been around for awhile 2001 in think. They came Texas Pete oh man, now they come with franks hot sauce no thanks.
https://www.dla.mil/TroopSupport/Subsistence/Operational-rations/ugra/

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

No more tobasco bottles in the mre’s

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I've used the MRE heater meals quite a lot up here. Not bad and some are very tasty.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
When I was drafted into the army in 1965, my first meal was breakfast in the Fort Polk reception center mess hall. I was trying to keep an open mind about food expectations, but it was still a shock.

They had us standing in line breathing greasy smelling air about 3:30 am, and they were calling us four at a time through the door. The chef pointed his spatula at each of us and politely asked, gentlemen how would you like your eggs this morning? He was smiling while he patiently took our orders, then he took a mixing bowl full of eggs and poured it onto a grill that must have been about 500 degrees. The yokes were moving around as he whacked'em with the spatula, flipped and scraped them up.
They were scorched browned crispy on the outside while raw with runny whites on the inside.

That was my first impression, of course it was a little better quality after I was in a regular unit in Germany, but not by very much as the cooks prepared their own meals in small quantities and didn't eat
eat what we did.

The only military food that was really that I tasted was in a NATO base in Bremerhaven, Germany that had soldiers, sailors, and airmen from the U.S. and all of the other NATO countries, and a Canadian army mess hall in France was very good with a buffet lunch serving several entrees.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
B-2 unit in the C’s. Beanie weenies! My fav! Fart like a roan hack horse!!!

Never had bad chow on a Navy or Marine Corps installation . And chow on ship was good too!

Maybe ‘cause I was hungry? I dunno?
y
you like pbj beer, which should tell you something.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JeffP
There were so few people on post at holidays we actually ate really good . Thanksgiving 1977 we had real turkey with everything at Fort Knox.

They were serving leftovers from that meal well over a decade later for us there !

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Midrats is where it was at.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I liked c-rations but mre's would bound me up for a week, I think that is what they were suppose to do. I never complained on any meal and alwys got enough.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Submarines, occasionally served us meat that you couldn’t tell the species of. We called it “mystery meat” as it was a mystery where it came from. Deployed on a fast attack in ‘78 or ‘79 and got the word we would likely be extended substantially due to international events. Cooks started digging deep into the corners to see how much food we had onboard and found a couple cans of bacon in OD green cans that was WW 2 vintage or nearly so. Powdered eggs after being under way long enough to run out of fresh stores. Not delicious. Used the “bug juice”, Kool Aid like stuff, to clean the burned on carbon off the flat top grill. Made it like shiny and new. Never drank much of that.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Ray_Herbert

yep, big old omelettes, hash browns, sos, bacon, french toast. perfect drunk food.

My diploma is a DD214
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Seems to me that if you want your soldiers to be happy and effective you have to feed them as well as you can.

FWIW in my experience in our Army here, when you were in barracks you generally got fed really well. Usually a selection of meal options and dessert, and vast quantities of it which you'd burn through with all the exercise. The only real limiting factor was time: you'd line up, load up, wolf it down and be out.

In the field there were different options. Where possible they'd get us "hot boxes", which were meals brought out hot in an insulated container - about like a really heavy duty cooler. Often this was fairly stodgy stuff, like maybe bacon and baked beans ladled out into your dixies, with bread to go with it, but it was always appreciated. Maybe an urn of tea or coffee too, or if it was hot some "goffers" - soft drinks - or tinnies (beer). There were even times when it had been cold and wet and horrible when they brought out flagons of port, which the diggers appreciated, but that wasn't part of the official ration.

Otherwise the main staple in the field was the 24-hour ration pack. There were 5 of 6 varieties, with different main and small meal tins, but the other content was more or less the same. You'd have a big tin of something like stew or luncheon meat, as smaller one, again with luncheon meat or pork & beans or something, some instant rice or instant mashed potatoo, a little tin of fruit, some hardtack ("biscuits survival" aka "biscuits inedible"), a little tin of cheese, tubes of butter and jam, tea and coffee,sugar, a cereal block, some drink base (like "Tang"), a block of chocolate, some hard lollies and a few other bits and pieces like curry or chili powder, crap wrap and elastic bands. It also came with a FRED - field ration eating device - which is a combination tin opener and spoon, and a really handy bit of gear. We'd often go through a rat pack and chuck out stuff we didn't want to carry, because you'd really struggle to eat everything in one.

We'd also sometimes get "patrol rats", which are freeze-dried and much lighter than the 24-hour rat pack. They were not bad either.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Best Army chow hall I ever ate at was the little DFAC out at Camp Mckall NC. The rest were pretty much forgettable, none were great and none were horrible.

Beef Stew was my favorite MRE in 1986 when I first enlisted and nothing had changed my mind on that when I retired in 2013. I was disappointed when the Corned Beef Hash disappeared though.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by fshaw
Submarines, occasionally served us meat that you couldn’t tell the species of. We called it “mystery meat” as it was a mystery where it came from. Deployed on a fast attack in ‘78 or ‘79 and got the word we would likely be extended substantially due to international events. Cooks started digging deep into the corners to see how much food we had onboard and found a couple cans of bacon in OD green cans that was WW 2 vintage or nearly so. Powdered eggs after being under way long enough to run out of fresh stores. Not delicious. Used the “bug juice”, Kool Aid like stuff, to clean the burned on carbon off the flat top grill. Made it like shiny and new. Never drank much of that.

Nairobi trail patties 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by rem141r
Originally Posted by Ray_Herbert

yep, big old omelettes, hash browns, sos, bacon, french toast. perfect drunk food.

“One eyed Jack”. A cheeseburger with an fried egg on top. Mighty fine after sitting in the “alert bird” on the flight deck for a couple of hours.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
819 members (06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 78 invisible), 3,227 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,713
Posts18,400,305
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.