Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
The evaluation is done. The Lee dipper spoon worked well after I filed it down enough to get the charge I wanted in 9mm. I loaded 2000 rounds with 125 gr Berry's over Universal.

But when I moved on to 38 Super and 10 mm, the dippers were either far above or far below my selected charge weight of HS-6 and Longshot. So back to the Uniflow with the pistol rotor.

I absolutely love this setup. The micromometer adjustment stem is perfectly repeatable, adjustment is quick and sure.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Small drum in the Uniflow with a baffle 2/3 the way down is the shizzle. Did over 1100 9mm last week @ 6.4 gr each of Power Pistol. Calibrate to a single load then cal at X 10 (as in 64 gr for the 9mm) then check your single throw and tweak. Also did about 450 .357 with 10.4 gr Blue Dot and 50 rounds of .44 Mag @ 15 Gr Blue Dot. Charged all in the tray. Random throws were weighed for assurance. No problems. ANYTHING safe to speed up a single stage Rockchucker when your volume loading. Also use a press mounted tube fed priming system most folks seem to find fault with.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Laughing at me here.

Neither my Uniflow nor my Midway powder dispenser are handling 3 to 5 gr charges of flake powder. Both are rifle units meant to deliver 10 gr or more, and they both excel in that regard.

Right now, I have 1500 cases in 9mm, 38 super, and 10mm sitting on the bench waiting for powder. (single stage presses) So I ordered two sets of Lee measuring spoons. A second set in case I want to file the top off of some for custom capacity.

Yes, I also got on the RCBS website and ordered a pistol cylinder with micrometer for the Uniflow. We will see which I end up liking better, the spoons or the Uniflow.

You using a baffle in that Uniflow? Mine drops uniform charges of Red Dot, Unique and other flake powders in the 3-5 grain range. Wouldn’t work for sh*t until I put the baffle in and played with the height of it in the powder hopper.

Strange, mine runs just fine without a baffle.. This chidt just baffles me..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
my elderly RCBS Uniflow measure has no problems delivering consistent low weight charges for my pistol reloading. Some powders I set it to throw short weight and then top off with the trickler. No issues at all.

Sam......

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I've never been a huge volume loader (maybe 1500 rounds a year on average across all my cartridges) so I've always just used a single stage press and done all my powder charging with a set of the Lee scoops, powder trickler, and scale.

You won't set any speed records doing it, but it gets the job done accurately every time.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I became a dipper when I found my Uniflow measure just could not hack H4831. I had a 25-06 that I was trying to build up a load for. The bridging was so severe I would have a 12-grain difference from one load to the next. I was already throwing low and trickling up. What I did was build a customer dipper out of an old case and build a handle from brass wire. It measured a load that was just under the target weight. I then topped it off with the trickle.

See details here:

Call me a Dipper

Since then, I've acquired an Hornady Auto Charge. It throws close to dead-on every time.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Ha, my old man has been doing that same thing for his 25-06 with H4831 since before I was born, too, except he was using a Redding measure with the same issues, and soldered a spoon handle onto his cut case.

He still loads them like that to this day. Gotta love homegrown tools 😁

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
H4831SC (short cut) is your friend, if you can find it. But friends like that are getting hard to find.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shootem
H4831SC (short cut) is your friend, if you can find it. But friends like that are getting hard to find.

Been there-- had the same problem. Thanks for the idea, though.

It's okay, the dipper did the trick. I've used a dipper a few times since on other projects. It's not bad. If you get your scoop method down, it's about as accurate as a powder measure.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,813
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.