Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lawrence, Are these fast fire relays 10 shots all done from one mag? And shot off the bench? Anyhow NRA rapid fire is not as easy as one thinks. It’s done from position one is sitting rapid fire 60 seconds on appropriate target. The other is prone rapid fire and you get 70 seconds for that one.
For sitting rapid fire you use - NRA No. SR-1 Reduction of the SR Target for use at 100 yards to simulate the 200-yard stages of the National Match Course. Rapid Fire—when the sitting or kneeling position is to be used, the time limits for 10 shots will be 60 seconds.
For prone rapid fire you use SR21 targets and have 70 seconds to complete course of fire.
10.1.7 Rapid Fire Loading Procedure— For rapid fire stages. All shooters must start in the shooting position for the appropriate stage of fire (i.e. sitting or prone) before firing their rapid fire strings.
After the announcement “YOUR SIGHTER PERIOD HAS ENDED” or “FOR YOUR SECOND STRING OF RAPID FIRE” has been made, and before the targets appear, the rifle must be kept out of the shoulder, and the ammunition must remain on either the ground or shooting stool. When the targets appear shooters will retrieve their ammunition, load either 2 or 5 rounds and commence fire. (Note: the rifle need not be in the shoulder before the bolt is closed.) After firing 2 or 5 rounds, competitors will reload 8 or 5 rounds as appropriate. Reloading before firing the 2nd or 5th round (hot reload) will result in the shooter receiving a total score of “0” for that entire 10 round string of fire.
So for AR15 you would load your magazine 2 and 8. Those folks from Portland/Vancouver were just trying to bring nra high power rules. But if your club is running non sanctioned nra matches those guys shouldn’t really care how your club run your mstches. I have no doubt you would easily make expert/master in your first couple of years. If you found clubs running sanctioned across the course matches in your neck of the woods.

Last edited by 79S; 07/28/21.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Lawrence, Are these fast fire relays 10 shots all done from one mag? And shot off the bench? Anyhow NRA rapid fire is not as easy as one thinks. It’s done from position one is sitting rapid fire 60 seconds on appropriate target. The other is prone rapid fire and you get 70 seconds for that one.
For sitting rapid fire you use - NRA No. SR-1 Reduction of the SR Target for use at 100 yards to simulate the 200-yard stages of the National Match Course. Rapid Fire—when the sitting or kneeling position is to be used, the time limits for 10 shots will be 60 seconds.
For prone rapid fire you use SR21 targets and have 70 seconds to complete course of fire.
10.1.7 Rapid Fire Loading Procedure— For rapid fire stages. All shooters must start in the shooting position for the appropriate stage of fire (i.e. sitting or prone) before firing their rapid fire strings.
After the announcement “YOUR SIGHTER PERIOD HAS ENDED” or “FOR YOUR SECOND STRING OF RAPID FIRE” has been made, and before the targets appear, the rifle must be kept out of the shoulder, and the ammunition must remain on either the ground or shooting stool. When the targets appear shooters will retrieve their ammunition, load either 2 or 5 rounds and commence fire. (Note: the rifle need not be in the shoulder before the bolt is closed.) After firing 2 or 5 rounds, competitors will reload 8 or 5 rounds as appropriate. Reloading before firing the 2nd or 5th round (hot reload) will result in the shooter receiving a total score of “0” for that entire 10 round string of fire.
So for AR15 you would load your magazine 2 and 8. Those folks from Portland/Vancouver were just trying to bring nra high power rules. But if your club is running non sanctioned nra matches those guys shouldn’t really care how your club run your mstches. I have no doubt you would easily make expert/master in your first couple of years. If you found clubs running sanctioned across the course matches in your neck of the woods.

Our shoots are for fun, some of our guys shot NRA matches, but some of those guys have passed on, so we are pretty laid back. We shoot off the bench and then offhand. The fast fire matches are fired off the bench, which is very easy, as you know. The guys from Vancouver and Portland shoot NRA sanctioned matches. They try to bring some of their experiences to our matches. Some of these guys are snide, but I don't take chidt from anyone and when they propose something, I suggest something a bit more challenging. It kind of throws them off. Sometimes big time and they are not prepared for it. Like I said, they came to my clubs first AR match thinking they were going to make us look bad, but ended up they ate chidt. One of the reasons they haven't came back. They have came back to our clubs military rifle shoots, but they didn't like my swedish mauser either. I had 2 of the cork suckers watching my target with spotters last time. One of them really wanted my rifle after the shoot. Your NRA sanctioned matches sound like a lot of fun, as I've told you before, "shooting is shooting". None of it is that difficult. However, as it is now, I prefer the laid back matches my club has to offer. Knocking off 5 golf balls hanging from strings in less than 2 seconds is a hoot, our newest rimfire shoot (know your limits) has been a kick in the pants. The smallest target is 1/4" in diameter. I ran 14 matches a couple weekends ago undefeated.. a 1/4" diameter target is pretty small, even at 50 yards with a rimfire. A lot of our members are ex military. One we call "sarge" is an old marine gunnery sergeant who shot Quantico. One of my favorite rivals at my club is an ex airborne ranger. All of our club members are good shooters, but we shoot mostly for fun. I don't mind when big wig attorneys from Portland show up with their $5,000.00 worked over CMP m1's. It makes the wins that much more satisfying.. Guys that want to brag need to be able to back it up, or they just end up looking stupid..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I know a minute and a minute 10 sound slow, but you've got to end with some time left in case of Murphy. Also, you've got to be able to shoot it clean with at least 5 Xs to be competitive. This goes for 200 sitting and 300 prone. Anything less and I'm pizzed. (Yes, I'm that way a lot smile )

Politics is War by Other Means
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I know a minute and a minute 10 sound slow, but you've got to end with some time left in case of Murphy. Also, you've got to be able to shoot it clean with at least 5 Xs to be competitive. This goes for 200 sitting and 300 prone. Anything less and I'm pizzed. (Yes, I'm that way a lot smile )

Tyrone, ever hear of the Carl Ross positional shoot here? You should shoot it buddy. Formid did and so did some others. Mucho respect goes out to the ones that actually shot that event... As per always, there are some guys that talk about shooting and there are others that actually shoot. Or put their money where their mouth is. You might make high score on that one. 79s should give it a go as well... A long with some of the camp perry boys here.. Do a search on that shoot. Its a timed event and great practice. I like shooting it right before hunting season.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm putting my money where my mouth is up at Perry.

You should try it some time. You'd probably do well. There's nothing like beating out 1,100 other guys to make the President's 100!

IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm putting my money where my mouth is up at Perry.

You should try it some time. You'd probably do well. There's nothing like beating out 1,100 other guys to make the President's 100!

Lucky! One day I will make it their just to shoot it.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, and 600 is a whole 'nuther ballgame from 300 & under. Especially in those Perry winds!

kwg020 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hello all
I took Tyrone's advice and tried the 60 grain Sierra HP's. I found a box of 100 in my bullet closet. They did in fact shoot very nicely with 25.5 grains of 748 and 23.8 grains of 3031. But, with the 18" Midway barrel the best I could do was a loose 1/2 inch at 50 yards. I was expecting one hole 4 shot groups at 50 but it did not happen. The POI was exactly the same with either load. To change up the mix I also shot some 60 grain Hornady V-max's with the same powder loads. I got the exact same POI's and group sizes but no one hole 4 shot groups. It appears from this experience the 60 grain HP Sierra's and the 60 grain Hornady V-Max's are pretty closely matched in performance. Both are flat based bullets.

I also loaded up some 69 grain Barnes HP's I found in my reloading closet. The group sizes grew to 1" at 50 yards. As stated by other contributors to this forum the Midway barrel is never going to be a sub MOA or even an MOA shooter. I am disappointed but Midway never guaranteed a group size with this barrel so it's a case of buyer beware. It did fit the parameters of what I was looking for so that is why I bought it. I recall one other forum watcher was considering this barrel. I suggest that if sub MOA or even MOA is your goal this is not the barrel to buy. Thanks everyone for following along.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My apologies. I probably should have just told you "It doesn't shoot" rather than give you more false hope.

I was discussing this with a friend the other day. I too have an AR barrel that doesn't shoot. I foolishly tried lots of different loads in it to no avail. This friend told me I should have bench rested it too. He seemed almost insulted when I told him that if it won't shoot with a 69 or 77gr Sierra and 23.5-24.5gr of Varget or Re-15 that it won't shoot and you should stop wasting your time.

It sure is easy to get caught up in the "try this, try that" BS.

kwg020 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My apologies. I probably should have just told you "It doesn't shoot" rather than give you more false hope.

I was discussing this with a friend the other day. I too have an AR barrel that doesn't shoot. I foolishly tried lots of different loads in it to no avail. This friend told me I should have bench rested it too. He seemed almost insulted when I told him that if it won't shoot with a 69 or 77gr Sierra and 23.5-24.5gr of Varget or Re-15 that it won't shoot and you should stop wasting your time.

It sure is easy to get caught up in the "try this, try that" BS.

Tyrone, any day at the range is a good day. Even if the barrel does not reach my expectations. I went out today in 92 degrees and 90% humidity and shot my 16" Armalite mid length that is NOT free floated and was getting just as good of groups with it that as I was with the Midway barrel which IS free floated. You get what you pay for. That upper will just have to set in the closet for a while. I really want to free float that 16 Armalite barrel to see just how much better it shoots. But, I have other issues I need to attend to so the barrel testing is just going to have to wait for a while. Besides, it's way too hot out right now. It will be in the 90's until Friday. That's just a bit much for me anymore.

Thanks for all of the input.

kwg.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,887
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.