Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
How would you rate these in order of importance for accuracy, speaking specifically of rimfires?

Looking at pictures of groups folks post here it seems like a lot of relatively run of the mill rifles are capable of excellent accuracy "if fed the right ammo" and "if the shooter does his part". Savage, Marlin, Ruger, etc., all seem capable of some very good to amazing groups.

Went out this morning to try out a couple of rifles, a 40 year old Kimber of OR M82 with a freshly mounted Leupold 3-9x40 (that was the highest magnification scope that would fit the low rings) and a box stock 11 year old Ruger 10/22 Tactical, that came with a 16” heavy barrel in a Hogue rubber stock; it had an equally old SWFA 10x42 scope on it. Fired a 10 shot group each with the ammo I have on hand – CCI AR Tactical, Winchester Super-X and my last box of Wolf Match Target.

Looking at the target here it’s obvious I’m not going to win any 50m benchrest matches soon but the differences in ammo are striking. The Wolf MT was the winner in both rifles but the CCI made a very good showing of itself, the Super-X sucked dog turds which is disappointing.

With the Match ammo a proven accurate bolt rifle and a factory barreled semi-auto both shot within .064" of each other, the common factor being the ammo.

To answer my own question, I’d put ammo at the top of the list with shooter skill and the firearm equal. Obviously, a top tier firearm with top of the line barrel, sights and trigger paired with a top grade shooter would print much better groups, but unless you want to compete in rimfire bench rest which is a rarefied sport to itself it seems that across the range of rifles from the $250 ones to the $3000 ones your best investment is to search for good ammo. Or to look at it another way, the accuracy difference in the decent affordable rifles vs. the super expensive ones seems to amount to maybe a couple hundredths of an inch at most provided both of them use top notch ammo. And shooter skill, including and especially the ability to read the wind, could reverse the ranking.

This may be stating the obvious to you guys who are really into your rimfires so I’m curious what y’all think.

50 meters, wind about 6-7 mph shifting constantly from 4 to 8 o’clock. Groups shot over a front rest and rear bag. No real effort was made to wait for calm conditions since it was getting really hot really quickly and the wind was picking up quite a bit as well. My goal here was just to compare different ammo in two different rifles to see if there was any commonality or if their appetites diverged widely.

[Linked Image]

Fwiw, I used this same 10/22 and SWFA scope to win Overall Match Winner in our club .22 silhouette championships back in 2010 and that was competing against several guys shooting Anschutzes, Model 52's and rifles of that grade. So even though it's not showing real bragging groups today, it was plenty accurate enough when you get off a bench and add in the human factor. But that's a thread for another day.

Jim, that is a nice shooting 10-22..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Half the fun for me is finding the cheapest ammo rifles will shoot best. It’s no secret the $15-20 offerings from lapua and eley are going to perform better than the run of mill ammo

I don’t shoot competition (other than vicious bragging rights battles) so I’ve never chased lot #’s.. and I do enjoy some high volume all day target shooting, so I can’t afford to shoot tenex all day, nor do I really need to.

I’m very much enjoy searching for that over achieving sleeper rimfire ammo and seeing what my guns will do with it.

One that works quite well for me in several different rifles is aguila SV. My KIDD thinks it’s center-x...obviously it’s not, and it will drop a few here and there..but I can very easily live with that when I’m just having fun
And that was $200/CS delivered so I can cut loose

Yep. I have yet to try the "good stuff". Blazer at 50 yards from a tweaked 10-22, some of the rest did pretty well. Dead reliable too.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
No match ammo for the 22 Mag but this one shoots pretty well with some.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EdM
No match ammo for the 22 Mag but this one shoots pretty well with some.

Those targets are a perfect representation of how guys need to keep track of how a rifle shoots with different ammo. That's the best way to do it.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shooter with ammo being a very close second. I think I can shoot, but some ammo throws out some serious patterns.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Appreciate everybody's input. Reason for asking the question is I've been trying to decide on an upper-mid tier .22 bolt rifle with a great trigger that will take a modern 30mm scope. Not going to do much more than long range plinking but it's fun and a definite challenge to consistently hit a 6" or even 4" ringer at 200 to 250 yards, such endeavors really teach you how to judge wind. Also thinking of getting back into rimfire silhouette which I was pretty heavily into in the 90's, our local club runs monthly 100 and 200 yard matches for that.

Obviously this three legged stool follows the law of limiting factors or “the chain is only as strong as its weakest link”. Good rifle, good ammo, bad shooter, no bueno. Good rifle, good shooter, bad ammo = bad groups, etc. Looking at the groups posted here and in several other threads in this forum it seems the three factors shake out something like this (not listed in order of relative importance but just to comment on each).

Shooter – On a scale of 1 to 10, the shooters I’ve seen rank from -2 to 10 with a bimodal distribution. Your average guy who comes out to the range occasionally is about a -2 to maybe 6 with the mode around 4 or 5. The club members or anyone else who takes their shooting seriously runs from 6 to 10 with a mode around 8 or 9.

Firearm – Looking at group sizes in various threads here fired by everything from the bargain level rifles all the way up to the ones costing 4 figures, the scale on these seems to run from about 7 to 10. Unless a rifle has a bad crown, chamber or flat-out rusted barrel, most all .22’s will shoot from good to fantastic. Even pre-war sporting rifles in good shape are capable of some really tight groups and the older heavy barreled target rifles will still give most modern rifles a run for their money. Obviously, today’s top tier rifles can outshine the lot but given good ammo it’s hard to find a really bad shooting .22 rifle. And even then, we’re still talking differences of a few hundredths of an inch in group size.

Sights, trigger – calling this a subset of the firearm group. Given the general level of .22 rifle accuracy, I’d say the firearm/shooter combo is limited by the sights with a good trigger a definite plus. Open sights or a low power compact with small objective just won’t give you the resolution needed to get a precisely consistent sight picture like a modern 10-20x scope with AO. A good receiver sighted rifle and a matching round bullseye can turn in incredible groups but that is dependent on a well defined aiming point, you still need a good scope to distinguish small targets from similar colored backgrounds. Now, all you guys who shoot with low power scopes or even open sights, don't get too mad. My Kimber 82 mounted a 4x Compact for decades and I can do some fine shooting with an open sighted (notch and bead) 1939 Remington pump, but we're talking about going for precise hits on smaller targets at longer range.

Ammo – as everyone here seems to agree, on a scale of 1 to 10 this runs from -5 to 12 and that varies greatly with brand, lot number and isn't even that consistent from rifle to rifle. I could post pics from other .22's with the same Winchester Super-X shown above that match or beat the CCI groups. In the 1990’s I won several rimfire silhouette matches with Winchester Wildcat solids, the same brand name Wildcat ammo wouldn’t even shoot decent patterns in the mid-2000’s. Great, that makes things easy. 😉

Have rambled on long enough but again, thanks to all for the conversation. It’s cemented a choice in my mind but might have to start another thread on that.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I shoot rimfire every week and rating myself as a “good” disciplined shooter on a scale of 1-10 (1 being poor and 10 being excellent) I’d say I’m a 6-7. I play hail trying to do everything the exact same way each shot! Somehow I manage to win a few here and there I blame the wins on luck lol

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have two .22 RF sporting rifles, an original Winchester M/52 Sporter and a Springfield 1922 M2 neither are target rifles and both are 70 + years old. I shoot CCI Blue Box Standard Velocity ammo in both, these vintage rifles both group this ammo into one ragged hole for 50 shots @ 50 yds. I'm just shooting these for recreation and groups like that satisfy my needs. Most shooters that I know concur with this thought, I also shoot this ammo in my Smith & Wesson M/41 and Sig Sauer P226 with .22 conversion.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Appreciate everybody's input. Reason for asking the question is I've been trying to decide on an upper-mid tier .22 bolt rifle with a great trigger that will take a modern 30mm scope. Not going to do much more than long range plinking but it's fun and a definite challenge to consistently hit a 6" or even 4" ringer at 200 to 250 yards, such endeavors really teach you how to judge wind. Also thinking of getting back into rimfire silhouette which I was pretty heavily into in the 90's, our local club runs monthly 100 and 200 yard matches for that.

Obviously this three legged stool follows the law of limiting factors or “the chain is only as strong as its weakest link”. Good rifle, good ammo, bad shooter, no bueno. Good rifle, good shooter, bad ammo = bad groups, etc. Looking at the groups posted here and in several other threads in this forum it seems the three factors shake out something like this (not listed in order of relative importance but just to comment on each).

Shooter – On a scale of 1 to 10, the shooters I’ve seen rank from -2 to 10 with a bimodal distribution. Your average guy who comes out to the range occasionally is about a -2 to maybe 6 with the mode around 4 or 5. The club members or anyone else who takes their shooting seriously runs from 6 to 10 with a mode around 8 or 9.

Firearm – Looking at group sizes in various threads here fired by everything from the bargain level rifles all the way up to the ones costing 4 figures, the scale on these seems to run from about 7 to 10. Unless a rifle has a bad crown, chamber or flat-out rusted barrel, most all .22’s will shoot from good to fantastic. Even pre-war sporting rifles in good shape are capable of some really tight groups and the older heavy barreled target rifles will still give most modern rifles a run for their money. Obviously, today’s top tier rifles can outshine the lot but given good ammo it’s hard to find a really bad shooting .22 rifle. And even then, we’re still talking differences of a few hundredths of an inch in group size.

Sights, trigger – calling this a subset of the firearm group. Given the general level of .22 rifle accuracy, I’d say the firearm/shooter combo is limited by the sights with a good trigger a definite plus. Open sights or a low power compact with small objective just won’t give you the resolution needed to get a precisely consistent sight picture like a modern 10-20x scope with AO. A good receiver sighted rifle and a matching round bullseye can turn in incredible groups but that is dependent on a well defined aiming point, you still need a good scope to distinguish small targets from similar colored backgrounds. Now, all you guys who shoot with low power scopes or even open sights, don't get too mad. My Kimber 82 mounted a 4x Compact for decades and I can do some fine shooting with an open sighted (notch and bead) 1939 Remington pump, but we're talking about going for precise hits on smaller targets at longer range.

Ammo – as everyone here seems to agree, on a scale of 1 to 10 this runs from -5 to 12 and that varies greatly with brand, lot number and isn't even that consistent from rifle to rifle. I could post pics from other .22's with the same Winchester Super-X shown above that match or beat the CCI groups. In the 1990’s I won several rimfire silhouette matches with Winchester Wildcat solids, the same brand name Wildcat ammo wouldn’t even shoot decent patterns in the mid-2000’s. Great, that makes things easy. 😉

Have rambled on long enough but again, thanks to all for the conversation. It’s cemented a choice in my mind but might have to start another thread on that.

Very nice, well thought out post. I feel like you have a good handle on this Jim..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A friend of mine is sponsored by Lapua. I get some of what he calls reject ammo. I would rate ability first, ammo second and then rifle.

CK
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
A friend of mine is sponsored by Lapua. I get some of what he calls reject ammo. I would rate ability first, ammo second and then rifle.

That must be some damn good ammo. Have you used anything other than Lapua? One thing I know is a good shooter can put great ammo into the same hole. Lower quality ammo and the same shooter can't put it in the same hole. Does that make sense? Probably not, but theres that.. What I find funny is some guys just don't get it. Hence guys don't believe in "flyers" and such. Most of those guys don't shoot competition of any kind or even shoot much for that matter.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the dividing line is, ammo matters when the shooter can tell the difference. Of course, the gun is either good (feeds right, shows promise) or bad.

I had similar experience to Sheis with Win PPs. When they first came out, I bought a brick on spec, seasoned the bore and spun the dials, oh my goodness. Drove straight from the range back to the LGS for the other brick from that lot. Rim gaged the whole thing. Many casualties ensued. But the next PPs skunked, even after rim-gauging. Pistol plink ammo.

Same deal with the red 42 power points. Found two boxes once, they were AWESOME right out of the box, no gaging. Then, bought the last two boxes I've ever seen -- plink ammo. $*%^#!

In general, I have found that CCI ammo, no matter what it is, tends to have the highest likelihood of shooting better than minute-of-shooter. I wish CCI would do a truncated cone 40/42 HP.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (10Glocks, 1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,668
Posts18,455,952
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.