Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jimy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
What a great year for peppers, my wife bought the plants at a local place, they turned out fantastic !

I wanna know if the seeds are worth drying and how would I go about it? How to tell if they are HMO or not?

Any pepper experts out there?

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
BP-B2

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Let peppers mature and then cut open and dry seeds on paper towel. Label and place in baggies and store in freezer. Simple enough

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I ain’t no expert but my peppers have really done well this year. Bell peppers bigger than softballs.
I doubt I’ll save any seeds. Not really set up to start them. Dunno tho, I might try it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yep, throw mine in a sandwich bag and keep in the fridge in the shop

Red, yellow, orange, green and brown bell. Pimento. Poblano and jalapeño. Banana.

Poblanos for chili relleno, jalapeño we stuff and fry or grill, pickle the banana, and slice and freeze all the bell for omelettes, soups, stir fry, casseroles, fajitas etc….
Love peppers. Especially fall and early winter flavors get the best.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Last year I had a dozen plants and got peppers out the wazoo... This year, I planted a dozen plants and have just ONE with a few peppers on it... The others just look at me like 'what are YOU lookin' at?'..... Even my sister - who always grows fabulous peppers - is getting bupkis this season.. Damn things.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hanco is the pepper master here! smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Red jalapeños, to me, have even better flavor than green jalapeños.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Our peppers didn't do worth a crap this year. Lucky for us, everyone else we know had plenty.

Freeloadin' is the best loadin'

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I’ve grown them out here in the PNW. What usually happens is I end up with plants full of fruit but they never fully ripen or develop much heat. Just not hot enough I suppose. Same with tomatoes.

This year I have some shinto and jalapeño plants going. They are in black pots with a shiny 4’x8’ piece of galvanized steel behind them as a reflector. Seems to be a bit much for the Tom’s but the peppers love it.

We’ll see if they develop some heat.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I didn’t grow any this year, they would have died anyway from too much rain.

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
It is an easy matter to save and germinate the seeds. Typically pepper plants are self pollinating.

BUT, as everything from the sweet Yolo Wonder to the hottest of the hot are the same species, crosses do occur.

You may discover your second generation plants to be a cross of 1/2 sweet bell pepper X 1/2 Jalepeno.

We get some amazing crosses in the garden of tomato hybrids, or squash plants, or cantaloupe crosses when a volunteer seedling is allowed to bear fruit.

Your heirloom seed is no longer heirloom when a friendly honey bee deposits a bit of stray pollen on the flower.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have several different varieties and they are producing this year better than ever. Easy to grow.

Texas bred and born
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Our single green -pepper (or should I say upper?) plant is in the passive greenhouse - has a half dozen peppers on it. Wife wanted it - I don't eat the things. Flavor is ok- I just don't want to burp the flavor for hours afterward. She ate the first one last night .

forget jalapeños!

Last edited by las; 07/28/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm getting a lot of habanero peppers this year, a few serrano peppers and a few cajun bell peppers and green bell peppers. My red ghost pepper plant gave up the ghost!!

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Most I've ever grown was something like 17 varieties one season, between the bell and hot types.

Here's what happens on the Modoc when you try to grow peppers. Put these out the night of June 16th. 38F on the thermometer in the morning, at about 5' above ground level. Frost at ground level.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This little one with a black pot and gallon of water next to it just got stunted. It's still growing but less than a foot tall still.

Here's what they looked like the night before. Last frost in 2020 was on 17 June and the weather service didn't have a frost warning that night. I put the water jugs out to help just in case. Futile attempt as just about every plant frostburned. Tomatoes in there too. Couple of them were replaced, a couple are coming back now finally.

I replaced a bunch, and have one Carolina Reaper plant that hopefully will do OK. The heat we had stressed them some too, they're starting to come on now.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Mine are garbage this year

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
If was so wet when we needed to get the garden in that we just plantsd a few maters and peppers in buckets so that we could have some fresh pickins. Now it's so hot and dry that they aren't doing that will neither. No win this year !

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I grow bell peppers on the roof of my work shop.

It is 20 degrees hotter up there than down on the earth.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jalapeños...got about 4 plants ..loaded up ! Woowho !

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Most I've ever grown was something like 17 varieties one season, between the bell and hot types.

Here's what happens on the Modoc when you try to grow peppers. Put these out the night of June 16th. 38F on the thermometer in the morning, at about 5' above ground level. Frost at ground level.

This little one with a black pot and gallon of water next to it just got stunted. It's still growing but less than a foot tall still.

Here's what they looked like the night before. Last frost in 2020 was on 17 June and the weather service didn't have a frost warning that night. I put the water jugs out to help just in case. Futile attempt as just about every plant frostburned. Tomatoes in there too. Couple of them were replaced, a couple are coming back now finally.

I replaced a bunch, and have one Carolina Reaper plant that hopefully will do OK. The heat we had stressed them some too, they're starting to come on now.

Dammmmm dude....

Things grow better in the Chernobyl exclusion zone.
😁😁😁😁😄😄😄😄

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
740 members (10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.