Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Went to the local gun store yesterday to look at a 938, I've got a 290 now and have never warmed up to the trigger pull - plus I just really like 1911's. Man behind the counter suggested I check out a 365X while I was there, and I was fully prepared not to care for it whatsoever. After fiddle farting around with each for awhile, I hate to admit it but the 365 grew on me. I can't say that either jumped out at me more than the other, so I'm trying to decide between the two at the moment.

Anyone here have any real world experience with them both, and have a preference? Reason not to buy one or the other?

I noticed some of the 365's had a rounded trigger, while some were flat and others had different style beavertails. Honestly haven't done any research on them yet, as I had my heart set on the 938. Would appreciate any insight you have to offer.

Thanks.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
BP-B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by CFVA
Went to the local gun store yesterday to look at a 938, I've got a 290 now and have never warmed up to the trigger pull - plus I just really like 1911's. Man behind the counter suggested I check out a 365X while I was there, and I was fully prepared not to care for it whatsoever. After fiddle farting around with each for awhile, I hate to admit it but the 365 grew on me. I can't say that either jumped out at me more than the other, so I'm trying to decide between the two at the moment.

Anyone here have any real world experience with them both, and have a preference? Reason not to buy one or the other?

I noticed some of the 365's had a rounded trigger, while some were flat and others had different style beavertails. Honestly haven't done any research on them yet, as I had my heart set on the 938. Would appreciate any insight you have to offer.

Thanks.

EE has the Sig 938 and speaks very highly of it. If you like a 1911, that would probably be the way to go.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Capacity.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have really strongly considered picking up a 365 recently, they've definitely earned their place in the concealed carry world and seem to still sell like crazy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P365 and don't look back.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RyanTX
Capacity.

Yep. And I had one of the early 938 Models that was not very reliable.

My P365 has been 100% Reliable. I highly recommend it.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NVhntr
P365 and don't look back.

Yep!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My son has a 938 and really likes it. Two of my brothers have P365's and love them. When my son bought the 938 the P365 hadn't been released yet, he has said that if he were to do it over he would probably go with the P365. Unless you are really tied to the single action 1911 system, go with the P365. I prefer the P365 to the P365XL because the P365 is better for pocket carry.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Take a look at the Shield Plus, too.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
#1—Capacity
#2—-While some are just fine carrying the 1911 style “cocked and locked”, I have a REAL problem with “cocked and locked” when there’s not a grip safety, to back up the thumb safety.

I get it. The “safety“ concern may be a little bit of paranoia on MY part, but, I think it (grip safety)was a good idea 110 years ago, and think it is today, when carrying a cocked single action pistol.

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Does it matter? striker fire vs Hammer

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had an early 938 that Sig replaced after two trips to the factory, and the second one was 100%. But, I had learned by that time to keep it well lubed (long Sig rails) and to not shoot too many rounds out of it without cleaning because it dried out really fast. I carried it only as a pocket gun. I occasionally missed the safety on the draw and I did not like that. Ultimately, it went down the road, and I now would rather carry a Glock 42 in .380 in the pocket than the 938.

I have a P365 and love it. (I also have a P365 XL and love it.) It is a belt gun for me, though. Technically, it will fit in a pocket, but it is heavy and not snag free.

I never would have carried the 938 on a belt. So, I think the intended carry method and your preference concerning the manual of arms should be given consideration when making a choice. Good luck!

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I’ve carried a Sig 938 SAS (rounded edges, etc) for a few years and am very happy with it. Reliability is good, accuracy is good and sights are good too.
The trigger is a little heavier than I like but workable. The grooves on the trigger itself were hard on my trigger finger so I smoothed them down and it’s much better.
I don’t have any experience with the P365 so can’t comment on it. .

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have a P938.

It is my Trunks and Tuxedo carry pistol, for when the Glock 6+1 G36 .45 ACP is just a little too bulky.

Magazine fed pistols... for SD, don't have a capacity problem.

Just carry a spare mag., as it's good practice anyway.

Shoot 147 gr. std, pressure exclusively, and the pistol is a pleasure to shoot.

Trigger breaks like an icicle.

It's been 100% reliable and very precise.

Like Three-Four inch groups at 25 yards.

The slide operates w/ the safety on, and it will fire w/ the mag. out, which is a nice feature to have during a tactical reload.

Just grease'em like any 1911, and they run like a Swiss watch.

Like the Sig P365XL and Glock G48 as well, but don't own either.

...Yet?

8>)

GR

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As TRH said, I've had a P938 for a number of years. I've never had a problem, but it hasn't had thousands of rounds through it. I like it very well and if you want a 1911 style, very small self defense pistol, it is the way to go. OTOH, when I bought it, the 365 was not out. If you are not totally wedded to the 1911 style, many here speak highly of it and I'd look at it hard myself. I can't see the reason to replace my P938 though. Weaknesses of the 938 are capacity and the danged magazines being so hard to get the last round in.

If you go down the P365 road, there are a ton of other choices now. As TRH mentioned, the Shield Plus may be THE choice in these type guns. There is also the Springfield Hellcat and several others.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a 938 for some years, tried really hard to like it because it was a) small and b) 1911-like, but never warmed up to it. Shot the little p238 and 1911 lw commanders demonstrably better. It was the grip - could never quite get it to feel consistent nor solid in recoil.

Have a 365 now. Also diminutive, but a slightly thicker grip, shoot it well and immediately comfortable with it.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll say this for the 938. It has been completely reliable with everything, including my reloads with cast bullets. My Ruger Security 9 won't even chamber the same reloads. It also to me anyway, exhibits very little recoil. Another of this type that I've owned is the Kel Tec P9, which was a darling of many before the advent of the P365 and the many similar pistols of today. The P9 was a hard little kicker in comparison.

C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thank you all.

My gripes with the 938 are the lack of grip safety and the triggers have been heavier than I thought on the handful that I've looked at.

As far as the 365, the "X" model felt best in my hand. From looking at Sig's website, is it correct to assume one could buy a standard 365 and put an extended magazine in it to essentially have an X model that can be used with the 10 round mags to make it a little easier to conceal if need be? And what's the deal with the flat triggers on some models? I've never owned anything with a flat trigger and don't understand the theory behind one.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...one could buy a standard 365 and put an extended magazine in it to essentially have an X model that can be used with the 10 round mags to make it a little easier to conceal if need be? And what's the deal with the flat triggers on some models?

Yes on the mags. A P365 can use any of the magazines from 10 to 15 rounds. The correct length base pad is needed for the 12 and 15 rounders if you want to fit the grip contour.

Due to the beavertail the P938 has the same box length as the P365 and is only an ounce and half lighter, yet the P365 can double the mag capacity. That's not the end all, but I don't see what the P938 brings to the table that the P365 doesn't surpass. The P938/1911 comparison is a mystery to me.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My gripes with the 938 are the lack of grip safety and the triggers have been heavier than I thought on the handful that I've looked at.

As far as the 365, the "X" model felt best in my hand. From looking at Sig's website, is it correct to assume one could buy a standard 365 and put an extended magazine in it to essentially have an X model that can be used with the 10 round mags to make it a little easier to conceal if need be? And what's the deal with the flat triggers on some models? I've never owned anything with a flat trigger and don't understand the theory behind one.

My buddy carries a 938 daily. I've shot it a fair amount. It's a nice little gun. His has been 100% reliable. I don't want one, however, because I don't want an external safety on sub-compact EDC pistol. (I used to own a P238 (the 938 but chambered in .380 ACP) and I could never comfortably and consistently hit that safety when trying to draw and shoot quickly. It's probably a personal problem, but since it was my life and my money I tripped the 238). Second, as others have mentioned, the capacity of the P365 cannot be ignored. What's the old saying--No man in a gunfight wishes he had a smaller gun and fewer bullets. If space allows, you can go 15+1 with any P365, and standard mags still have a 4-round advantage over the standard 938 mags.

As for triggers--it doesn't much matter. The theory behind the flat trigger is that the shooter maintains a consistent contact with a flat trigger shoe no matter where your finger ends up when you draw the gun. The flat trigger also breaks the same no matter where your finger is (at least that what the tacticool crowd says--I've never done any testing myself). The standard curved trigger will provide a shorter trigger reach. But, like I said, it doesn't matter much for us mere mortals. You'll likely never perceive an "advantage" with a flat trigger, the issue will just be whether you like it.

I carry a P365XL daily right now. I used to carry a G19. I might go back to the G19, but I shoot the 365 pretty well, and I like the smaller size. I used to own the standard P365 but after dinking around with the 365XL, I just liked it more. With 12+1 capacity, I have the same number of rounds as a guy carrying a 938 and a spare mag.

My vote for your money and your life is to go with the one that gives you the most confidence. The gun that makes you smile as you draw it. Get that one and don't look back. But, if after a time, you feel you chose the wrong gun, go buy the other one and shoot them side by side. Sell the one that comes in second. You'll lose $50 or so, but you'll get $50+ of fun doing the comparison. There's no downside. If it were me, I'd start with the P365 of your choosing (just don't get the SAS model! That sighting system sucks. Bad.) Get some extended mags and carry the biggest mag that you're willing to schlep every single day.

Good luck!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
256 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 25 invisible), 1,716 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.