Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Iclimb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just got a brand new Micky edge stock, they nailed the inlet except...
This is an ADL stock and I can’t get the front action bolt to line up with the action in the stock. I can lift it and start it but it soon binds up.

I put a longer screw in and let it self center in the escutcheon and you can see that as it comes through the pillar it is setting pretty firmly against the back of the pillar. I’m not sure if it’s the escutcheon that is crooked on the pillar itself....

What would ya’ll do? Should I bug McMillan with it? I hate to wait for it...

I’m no smith but to me it appears as though the pillar needs bored out a bit. Although I think the screw is going to bind in the action, if the escutcheon is crooked.....I guess I could try and determine if the bolt is 90* to the inlet and that might give a course if action. I usually follow the mantra that the action bolts need to be stress free and floating within the pillar to be set up “the best”....this is a built action with a bartlein barrel so I want to give it every chance to shoot....

Thoughts. Before I bed this....
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by Iclimb; 07/28/21.

If at first you don't succeed; shoot, shoot again
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

One way to double check things is to put the stock on the action with the action upside down, and use a flashlight to look down the pillars and see where the holes line up.

You said you front screw is to the back of the hole ?

That would mean your lug is hitting the front of the recoil lug cut out…. If so I’d just relieve (cut away that area) to let the action slide forward and the bolt holes should align.

You should check how much clearance is between the rear of the lug and the stock .. that might be interesting - but will fix itself with bedding.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bore it out and make an oversized one fitted to the stock in the correct position, relieve the recoil luig area and re-bed the whole thing

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Iclimb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You can see my black mark on the lug area, just aheadoif the arrow....I marked that out to relieve that area of the lug pocket... my thought was to relieve the front pillar and the lug pocket and basically use the rear pillar to “square off of” & full length bed the action (which I planned on doing anyway)..

Is that the plan? Just say the word..ah hahah

Iclimb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Love the stock! The carbon shell is great, being able to see the weave....gonna make this little .260 a good looking rifle! 23” bartlein #3, LRI worked action, chambering in .260 RTAC...picked it up on here several yrs back...I forgot I ordered the stock this last spring...when the box showed up, ‘‘twas a nice “surprise” for me....i’ve been itching for a model 7 ks and looking hard...I forgot about my plans for this rifle...now I can save the money on the ks and this will likely turn out nicer anyway, hahaha!

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

They nailed it except?
Don’t know how much the Edge stocks are now, but one shouldn’t have to modify the stock. Doesn’t that negate the Warranty? I’d send it back.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Poconojack

They nailed it except?
Don’t know how much the Edge stocks are now, but one shouldn’t have to modify the stock. Doesn’t that negate the Warranty? I’d send it back.

I would as well.

Where is the thread where the McMillan CS gentleman was answering questions? Maybe you could get a response with his thoughts.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never had an issue on one, but if I did, I'd be 100% sure that the folks at McMillan would fix it for me. I'd call them tomorrow and have them resolve it I think.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
What's the turn around time for them to fix it and send it back? A guy waits a long time to get an expensive stock and then has to turn around right away and send it back?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They made my last M70 stock in a pattern I had not ordered, Winchester Hunter vs. Hunters edge. The replacement was ready in a couple of weeks.

I live in Phoenix and being able to walk in their front door can't hurt.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MikeS
They made my last M70 stock in a pattern I had not ordered, Winchester Hunter vs. Hunters edge. The replacement was ready in a couple of weeks.

I live in Phoenix and being able to walk in their front door can't hurt.

That must be damn nice.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If you're sure it's not from the recoil lugs position in the mortise, then:

Knock the escutcheon out, screw two long 1/4-28 studs in the front and rear of the action and drop it in the stock. Check to see how well centered the studs are to the pillar holes. If that looks good, you know that the escutcheon is tipped in the stock, causing the problem.

I've seen that a couple of times over the years.

Whatever it is, it's an easy fix. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
For the $500+ price tag I'd suck it up & send it back. Let them deal with it. You would think they'd have a Rem 700 on hand for mock up.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I'll take "Why should I have to fix it, Alex,?" for $500.

But I probably would anyway, since I like this stuff. Take a POS and make it usable.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,522 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,145
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.