Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've eaten a good many of them. Young of the year are good battered and fried just like you'd do rabbit or squirrel. Funny the people that will eat a shyt eating bird like a turkey but won't eat a woodchuck. Woodchucks are vegetarians, don't pick through/eat shyt and are actually a pretty clean animal. Older ones are good in a stew slow cooked in a crock pot. They are a bitch to skin. If you like liver take note that a woodchuck has a big one for it's size and they are very good. Just be sure to remove the bile sacks before you fry it. Much better/ milder flavored than beef, calf or deer liver.

Fascinating. I have never eaten one but my knee jerk reaction to the idea wouldn’t be “yuck”, for all the reasons you state. Beavers taste good…

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I don't have any experience with woodchucks, but I have a lot of experience with nutria rats. They're all just big rats (or squirrels). I like squirrels okay...but don't really care for a big slab of squirrel meat.

This guy’s Georgian (Russian). One of my favourite YouTube cooks. Good channel but he’s started to recycle stuff on the 3-4 different channels he runs now.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
There's no doubt some of my ancestors ate Whistle Pig. In the Southern Mountains, every critter was tried (and fried) at one time or another. Hard times call for desperate measures.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I was born right after the depression, on a farm that I was raised there were very few groundhogs to be had . but we ate them when we got them... If you para boil them and dump the grease off they are good when pan fried like chicken...some people left the grease with the meat and made gravy with it... that was also good....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Marmot is delicious.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've eaten a good many of them. Young of the year are good battered and fried just like you'd do rabbit or squirrel. Funny the people that will eat a shyt eating bird like a turkey but won't eat a woodchuck. Woodchucks are vegetarians, don't pick through/eat shyt and are actually a pretty clean animal. Older ones are good in a stew slow cooked in a crock pot. They are a bitch to skin. If you like liver take note that a woodchuck has a big one for it's size and they are very good. Just be sure to remove the bile sacks before you fry it. Much better/ milder flavored than beef, calf or deer liver.

Gerald Almy, IIRC, had an article in the Washington Post many years ago in which he claimed their livers were very good. Never tried it, but I have fried a couple like chicken, and thought it was similar to chicken thighs. Like you said, skinning them is a chore.

I think I’ll pass on any more until maybe the Zombie Apocalypse.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One might think that because woodchucks share the same habitat and diet as cows, that they'd be just as tasty, but there's a reason people don't eat them.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
I don't have any experience with woodchucks, but I have a lot of experience with nutria rats. They're all just big rats (or squirrels). I like squirrels okay...but don't really care for a big slab of squirrel meat.

This guy’s Georgian (Russian). One of my favourite YouTube cooks. Good channel but he’s started to recycle stuff on the 3-4 different channels he runs now.

That was great Wannabe.

Someone needs to show him some garlic peeling videos though.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+peel+garlic+the+easy+way

And the brother can drink some vino. whistle

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by reivertom
There's no doubt some of my ancestors ate Whistle Pig. In the Southern Mountains, every critter was tried (and fried) at one time or another. Hard times call for desperate measures.

On the 2nd to last day of a grueling moose hunt in NH's White Mountains (D1) after some 14 hours and at least 10 miles in rough terrain, including humping neck deep beaver swamps, we finally busted through the bush near the Canada border on rt. 3. We were into the 90th hour of what was for me the most brutal and physically demanding hunt of my life. We were out of water, completely gassed and half delirious when we arrived at the state trout hatchery. The live-in employee had just arrived at the caretaker's cabin as we staggered in. The 1st thing he said was, 'you kids look a bit dehydrated. Want some cold spring water?' In the next 15 minutes I literally downed 2 GALLONS of water. After, Natureman Jim as he called himself, offered me, Mrs. KG and our 72 years young guide a pile of sandwiches. "Thanks for your kindness and generosity, Jim", I told him. "No worries, gang. Just got done whipping up a batch. God knows a freshly killed 'chuck sandwich always hits the spot!" I think it was then both me and Mrs. KG lost concsiousness and collapsed in his parlor. Ever since been curious about eating the overgrown rats. True story.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Chicken feet yes.

Imma getcha fer that, Spiccoli-Beaner, just you wait...

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I do believe your life is more interesting than mine, and many people have commented that mine is more interesting than they ever wanted to try.

Cool story there L.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston
One might think that because woodchucks share the same habitat and diet as cows, that they'd be just as tasty, but there's a reason people don't eat them.

Years ago I went to a cookbook signing written by a guy that taught survival at Fort Bragg. He referred to them as "cave dwelling cows".

I started to skin one but as someone else mentioned "It's a chore". About half way through the process I decided "this one maybe to old to eat... ". I did ask an old farmer living way back in the Mountains of NC if he had eaten any of them. He replied, "They were the main source of meat we had back in the day. He described them as pretty good" but mentioned taking the glands out first.

Please don't feed the trolls!
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Originally Posted by kingston

Years ago I went to a cookbook signing written by a guy that taught survival at Fort Bragg. He referred to them as "cave dwelling cows".

I started to skin one but as someone else mentioned "It's a chore". About half way through the process I decided "this one maybe to old to eat... ". I did ask an old farmer living way back in the Mountains of NC if he had eaten any of them. He replied, "They were the main source of meat we had back in the day. He described them as pretty good" but mentioned taking the glands out first.

"Pretty good"? lol Mrs. KG's mom when encountering any foodstuff she finds reprehensible, revolting or otherwise disgusting to the point of being totally inedible will declare it to be, 'not very delicious!'. LOL she's a riot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bet you can pull this off.... waiting on some of your "Foodie" grade photos too grin

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by reivertom

On the 2nd to last day of a grueling moose hunt in NH's White Mountains (D1) after some 14 hours and at least 10 miles in rough terrain, including humping neck deep beaver swamps, we finally busted through the bush near the Canada border on rt. 3. We were into the 90th hour of what was for me the most brutal and physically demanding hunt of my life. We were out of water, completely gassed and half delirious when we arrived at the state trout hatchery. The live-in employee had just arrived at the caretaker's cabin as we staggered in. The 1st thing he said was, 'you kids look a bit dehydrated. Want some cold spring water?' In the next 15 minutes I literally downed 2 GALLONS of water. After, Natureman Jim as he called himself, offered me, Mrs. KG and our 72 years young guide a pile of sandwiches. "Thanks for your kindness and generosity, Jim", I told him. "No worries, gang. Just got done whipping up a batch. God knows a freshly killed 'chuck sandwich always hits the spot!" I think it was then both me and Mrs. KG lost concsiousness and collapsed in his parlor. Ever since been curious about eating the overgrown rats. True story.

Freshly killed chuck sandwich—I think he was fugkin with the Japanese people.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had one that was chunked and stewed in a crock pot. It was quite passable.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
This reminds me of the time The Chad offered me some beaver meat.

It went something like this:

Chad: "Do you want to try some beaver meat I cooked last night?"

Flave: "No."

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't do rodents...Some folks up in PA do eat them. I'd pass..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K

Let this serve as official notification: LTPP's former certification of lifetime Coonass (honorary emeritus) is hereby revoked.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Throw it in some soy sauce.

.....and pretend it’s a dog.

Boil and enjoy.

🤣🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,253
Posts18,466,977
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.