Print Thread
Hop To
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
OK....the title was a “teaser”! It’s really not much of a “nail bitter” story. Used my recently purchased Ruger LCP II 22LR to put a coon to sleep that was in a Have a Heart trap. Not long range, no imminent threat of attack, no firearm malfunction......pretty much a “yawn” moment! 😁

Please indulge and forgive my post. Hot and miserable outside, taking the morning of and am pretty bored! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 07/28/21.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Nice smile

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have been considering picking one up, I saw one at Cabela's for $250. Have you shot it other than that? Wondering how picky it is with ammo

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I usually just use a S&W M&P Compact for that kind of work. Nice and relatively quiet. Or a .22 rifle of some sort.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
The Savage striker bolt action in 17HMR gets trap duty. The coon will attempt to bite the muzzle. Immediate dispatch, no over penetration. No trap damage.

Anyone else ever notice not magpies, coyotes, foxes, nor buzzards will touch a dead coon around here.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter97
I have been considering picking one up, I saw one at Cabela's for $250. Have you shot it other than that? Wondering how picky it is with ammo

Sharpshooter97, can’t really attest to it’s preference as to ammo, as I mostly have mostly shot Rem. Golden Bullet HP’s. and a few Federal plated HP’s. I have about 2 to 3 hundred rounds thru mine, with the wife running around 100 rounds. The wife and I bought a pair of them plus an additional 4 magazines. We had a few “fail to feeds” with a couple of the magazines, which was an occurrence that some other shooters had noted!

However, my son recently got one, that didn’t like Remington bullets we were shooting. He had several “fail to feeds”/jams. Though, with his CCI Blazer 40 grain bullets, his gun ran quite well! Go Figure!

That’s a good price you were quoted, we paid almost $100 more.

My only complaint about the little pistol, is the sights. Had for my old eyes to use in poor lighting. I used model airplane/car epoxy paint to “liven” them up.....which helped a great deal! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 07/28/21.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
The Savage striker bolt action in 17HMR gets trap duty. The coon will attempt to bite the muzzle. Immediate dispatch, no over penetration. No trap damage.

Anyone else ever notice not magpies, coyotes, foxes, nor buzzards will touch a dead coon around here.

I carried the coons off and dumped into a ravine.....didn’t pay any attention to the local clean-up crews! 😉

I have little trapping experience in the last 50 years, only doing it now to try and minimize my pear losses. Last year, we went from 2 small pear trees loaded, to zero pears in a period of a few days. Living between a river and a large irrigation canal has it’s challenges! 🙂 I’ve trapped 2 coons in the past 3 nights. The first succumbed to a round from a Nylon 66, the most recent with the LCP II. The LCP II was handier to access than the 66....so it was the weapon of choice. memtb

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by memtb

Sharpshooter97, can’t really attest to it’s preference as to ammo, as I mostly have mostly shot Rem. Golden Bullet HP’s. and a few Federal plated HP’s. I have about 2 to 3 hundred rounds thru mine, with the wife running around 100 rounds. The wife and I bought a pair of them plus an additional 4 magazines. We had a few “fail to feeds” with a couple of the magazines, which was an occurrence that some other shooters had noted!

However, my son recently got one, that didn’t like Remington bullets we were shooting. He had several “fail to feeds”/jams. Though, with his CCI Blazer 40 grain bullets, his gun ran quite well! Go Figure!

That’s a good price you were quoted, we paid almost $100 more.

My only complaint about the little pistol, is the sights. Had for my old eyes to use in poor lighting. I used model airplane/car epoxy paint to “liven” them up.....which helped a great deal! memtb

Thanks for the review, if I come across one for that price again I may just buy one. I have a variety of 22 rounds to try in it. My Buckmark and Victory gobble up just about everything.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
[quote][/quote]Man, I wish I had bought about a dozen of the Nylon 66 and Mohawk 22 rifles back in the day. I seem to remember one in the back window of a buddy's truck. Bright SS and black synthetic. Pretty wild back then.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Man, I wish I had bought about a dozen of the Nylon 66 and Mohawk 22 rifles back in the day. I seem to remember one in the back window of a buddy's truck. Bright SS and black synthetic. Pretty wild back then.

That was the Apache Black Model. With either a crome or nickeled receiver.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Mine works great. Feeds everything so far. But I don’t shoot the sorry ass Remington “Golden Bullet” bulk crap.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M

I have 2 of the Mohawk Brown 66’s now! I got mine around ‘62 I think. My Dad really liked mine and bought one years later, and I now have it also. I also bought my son one in the early ‘70’s, but it was stolen. I think that they’re great little guns! memtb

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Mine works great. Feeds everything so far. But I don’t shoot the sorry ass Remington “Golden Bullet” bulk crap.

I mainly shoot CCI or federal automatch through my 22's. My Buckmark will run everything I've tried so far, I have a couple buckets of golden bullets stashed away. Haven't had a problem with them. Winchester on the other hand...

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Boy, I could say something about this. ^^^^^

But I won't.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

chlinstructor, Many years ago, as I stocked-up on 22’s, I was buying bulk packs from Walmart. I ended up with a mix of Rem, Fed, and Win.

About 10 years ago, I shot some 100 yard groups with our Ruger 77/22 using the Rem. Golden HP’s, and was amazed with the accuracy. Maybe my standards were pretty low! 😁 I tried to locate my targets or discussion here on the “fire” but failed. My memory tells me they were around 1.5” for 5 shot groups. I may have to shoot some more groups to give a more accurate number! memtb

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Not to highjack the thread but seeing the comments about different ammo causing problems in different guns and then someone mentioned the Blasers. My son and I took about 15 .22s (rifles, pistols, and revolvers) to the range last week and everything feed and functioned with the Blaser, not so with any other brand except CCI mini-mags. Accuracy was "acceptable" in just about everything with the Blaser too. I think that will be my new bulk bullet for plinking once stuff becomes available again.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,194 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,201
Posts18,466,038
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.